Bonds homerun quest

2»

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Is there anyone else out there besides me that doesn't think steroids use is nearly as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be?

The average baseball player is plenty strong enough to hit a baseball hard enough to drive it out of the park. Hell, I am. Most of us are. Its just far more important to make proper contact with the ball, at the right angle, with enough bat speed. You could be Hercules, but unless you make proper contact, you aren't going to hit many homeruns.

To a point it is true. If you don't make solid contact, you're screwed. That said, steroids would allow you to use a heavier bat and generate a higher swing speed. Both are very important in power hitting. Additionally, the higher swing speed lets you see the pitch a split second longer before committing allowing better pitch selection and therefore contact. Also, you have a better chance of stopping a swing on a bad pitch. In such a sport where 2' makes the difference of a home run or an out, any of those things can be a huge difference maker.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited May 2007
    At least Aaron, Maris, Ruth, etc. didn't have to shoot up to accomplish what they did.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited May 2007
    Don't steroid cause muscles to grow too large for a person's frame and put strain on related body parts (tendons, joints, etc.)? That's why roider's are always getting sidelined with minor injuries.

Barry has stayed healthy, so I don't know exactly what that means. Maybe he is just a smarter used of performance enhancers. It seems like others go on roids and then are hurt just couple years later. Look at Eric Gagne.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited May 2007
    marker wrote: »
    At least Aaron, Maris, Ruth, etc. didn't have to shoot up to accomplish what they did.

neither did the cheese dick pitchers throwing meat balls over the plate to them back in those days :)
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited May 2007
    marker wrote: »

Actually, the truth is we don't know what they might have done. The media had a habit of protecting people in the public eye back then...politicians, actors, athletes. Totally the opposite today with the 'expose', everyone deserves to know everything about everybody attitude.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2007
    More and more rationalizaton....unbelievable.

Whether you think steroids are good or bad isn't the argument. It's the fact Barry Bonds cheated to get where he is. He's not the only one that got heat, it's kept McGwire out of the HoF at this point, and it's going to keep out others.

I'm sure a lot of you smoked a little reefer when you were younger, maybe some of you still do. Just because it's going on all the time and some aren't ever caught doesn't mean we turn our backs to the problem and act like it's no big deal. Bonds, McGwire, Giambi -- all juiced up more than anyone else in the league. It's almost undeniable.

I guess trying to maintain the integrity of our sports is a bad thing now. :confused:
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited May 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »

I'm sure a lot of you smoked a little reefer when you were younger, maybe some of you still do. Just because it's going on all the time and some aren't ever caught doesn't mean we turn our backs to the problem and act like it's no big deal. Bonds, McGwire, Giambi -- all juiced up more than anyone else in the league. It's almost undeniable.

But at least steroids makes you stronger, all weed does is give you the munchies and you become a big fat ****.:p

You know that most baseball players have been taking steroids at least once in their lives. Just because two players (mcgwire and bonds) are very good at what they do doesn't mean they should be the only ones going down. If you really wanted this steroid thing to go into effect, I don't think you would be watching any baseball games right now;) .

If baseball owners truly wanted to punish their players for steroid use, they would have kicked barry bonds out of the league when he got caught (and of course denied it with the lame excuse he made:rolleyes: ). I don't think a fair punishment would be just to not let him into the hall of fame or get a record. Thats just me.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    To a point it is true. If you don't make solid contact, you're screwed. That said, steroids would allow you to use a heavier bat and generate a higher swing speed. Both are very important in power hitting. Additionally, the higher swing speed lets you see the pitch a split second longer before committing allowing better pitch selection and therefore contact. Also, you have a better chance of stopping a swing on a bad pitch. In such a sport where 2' makes the difference of a home run or an out, any of those things can be a huge difference maker.

Yes, greater strength will allow for easier manipulation of the bat. IMO, the strength necessary to move the bat with such ease is going to acquired from just playing 162 games and taking BP before each game.

And the most efficient way to maximize swing/bat head speed is going to be from proper mechanics. Strength is necessary, but its more of a finesse activity. Thats my opinion anyways.
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2007
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    Don't steroid cause muscles to grow too large for a person's frame and put strain on related body parts (tendons, joints, etc.)? That's why roider's are always getting sidelined with minor injuries.

Barry has stayed healthy, so I don't know exactly what that means.

You're right, but it doesn't mean anything. No conclusion can be drawn from that evidence.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited May 2007
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    I don't think he's nearly as bad a guy as they would like us to believe and the amount of crap he's had to put up with from the press, go Barry!!! :D

I disagree! Bonds is a hell of a baseball player, one of the best ever. But he is an **** of a human being.

Ten years ago he participated in the tour of Japan that MLB does after the World Series. At the end of the tour, the Japanese baseball commisioner gave each of the MLB players a medal, a symbol of goodwill for their participation. Bonds got pissed, threw the medal on the floor, laughed and walked out of the ceremony.

The press has busted his balls because he has always been arrogant, rude and disrespectful to everyone. He's got himself to blame for starting the war with the press. When he was in Pittsburgh, there was an incident in Spring training (caught on film) where the Pirate Manager Jim Leyland had to be restrained by his coaches from physically attacking Bonds for something Barry said to him. The list is a mile long, cheating on his wife, etc. etc. A good ball player, a lousy person.
    Carl

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2007
    tommyboy wrote: »

You know that most baseball players have been taking steroids at least once in their lives. Just because two players (mcgwire and bonds) are very good at what they do doesn't mean they should be the only ones going down. If you really wanted this steroid thing to go into effect, I don't think you would be watching any baseball games right now;)

No, I don't know that. Is there a cite for this fact/statement?

This is exactly the problem with cheaters, they destroy the credibility of everyone else. All the more reason Bonds should have been run out on a rail long ago. Bonds will get the record, but I'm sure most fans will see it for what it is -- a complete and utter sham.
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2007
    Thats the way I will look at it.

Also, I think Ichiro's single season hit record should not be acknowledged. If anyone is, he is certainly on steroids.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited May 2007
    Let's just say it was proven he only took steroids the 2001 year where he hit 70+. Would you just throw out the other 700? :rolleyes:
    You know, another thing that irks me about this is the double standard between football and baseball regarding steroids. Anyone care to comment on that?
    Another thing, amphetimines have been mentioned several times. I would bet half the players from the mid-sixties thru the 70's took them.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2007
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I disagree! Bonds is a hell of a baseball player, one of the best ever. But he is an **** of a human being.

Ten years ago he participated in the tour of Japan that MLB does after the World Series. At the end of the tour, the Japanese baseball commisioner gave each of the MLB players a medal, a symbol of goodwill for their participation. Bonds got pissed, threw the medal on the floor, laughed and walked out of the ceremony.

The press has busted his balls because he has always been arrogant, rude and disrespectful to everyone. He's got himself to blame for starting the war with the press. When he was in Pittsburgh, there was an incident in Spring training (caught on film) where the Pirate Manager Jim Leyland had to be restrained by his coaches from physically attacking Bonds for something Barry said to him. The list is a mile long, cheating on his wife, etc. etc. A good ball player, a lousy person.
    Well put.The guy is a talent for sure but he is one of the biggest buttholes to play the game.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited May 2007
    schwarcw wrote: »

I was too young(or didn't care, I'm really not sure:p ) to remember bonds playing in pittsburgh. But everyone I know who remembers him here all say the same thing, He is a big ****.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2007
    I say let him have his record. And at the award ceremony, his drug dealer should get the award. Not him.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited May 2007
    It's all about cheating, nothing more, nothing less. Bonds cheated, therefore his numbers will be questioned. Too bad in a way, as his compact, upright, plate crowding technique is devasting. He didn't need the roids, he needed dedication to a natural fitness plan. Instead, he took the easy way out. I'm betting within 20 years he has a massive health problem that will be linked back to his usage.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited May 2007
    Barry hit no. 744 today. Eleven to go.
    Carl

• jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited May 2007
    I say let 'em juice up. Baseball needed the juicers to recover from the effects of the last strike/lockout/whatever it was. MLB ratings and attendance were way down before Big Mac and Sammy chased Maris' record. Now Barry is doing his part by breaking Aaron's record...unless he goes to jail first. ;)
  • unbridled_id
    unbridled_id Posts: 179
    edited May 2007
    I remember that Pittsburgh outfield... Bonds, Bonilla, and Van Slyke, not too shabby. I don't care for Bonds as a human being and I do believe he was doped up as were many others, remember Palmerio waving his finger.
    The greatest enemy of truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince.
  • kingkip
    kingkip Posts: 401
    edited May 2007
    Barry sucks, plain and simple. A horrible person and a cheater to boot. If we only took away the 70 in 2001 he would have 674 and this would not be as big an issue. So why do people keep bringing that up like it validates a cheater?
    There are two ways to argue with women. Both of them are wrong.