picked up sda-srs's

Options
tom t
tom t Posts: 543
edited May 2007 in Vintage Speakers
hello folks,
i just picked up the sda-srs's in pa. there was some chat about them in the last month. at first i was not going to get them because they were not the 1.2's but after i drove down and saw them i picked them up. i knew how big they were from all the info i had on them but when i saw them they were huge!. bigger looking then what i was prepaired for. i have big infinitys now and they are pretty big but these are alot taller. the cond. of the speaker-- i would give a 8-9 out of ten,that nice. clean grills,all the drivers look good, alittle tacky some of them. i understand some windex will clean them up. i would like to know is do the surrounds on these hold up over time or do they fall apart like other speakers out there and i will be re-doing them some day. a quick look at them last night,they looked pretty good,but i dident clean them up yet. got home at 11:30, the speakers slept in the van. today will be the big day,cleaning them up and hooking them up. also, i take it polk dosent make the mid/bass and tweeters any more. if i need any later i have to go shopping for them. i will take pictures later,if someone wants to see tell me how to put on the site. thanks
Post edited by tom t on

Comments

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Good for you and welcome to the club.

Don't worry about the tackiness, it's normal. Spray windex on a soft towel then rub in a circular motion. You can do this on both the mid-woofers and the surrounds. Do not use armor all. Your surrounds are about 20 years old and should last a very long time. Polk offers replacement mid-woofers and tweeters but look slightly different. Watch the for sale area here or auctions elsewhere and you may find the original drivers. When you are posting a message, scroll down beneath the text box to [manage attachments]. Click it then browse to where your photo is to upload.

What gear are you planning to use?

Have you read the SRS manual? If not, read it and the addendum at our friend's website before you hook them up. http://polksda.com/manuals.shtml
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    thanks polk65, i will be using a b&k 202+ for the top and a soundcraftsmen 5002 for the bottom. i have infinitys rs2b's now that eat up alot of power.4 ohm,and 87 db and this combo drives them loud and clear and has been doing it for 14 years without breaking a sweat. thanks for the info
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Congrats you will love them.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    thanks engtaz,im going to take pictures later and when my son gets home i will post them. the pictures will be taken befour i clean them up. i think they are in great shape for 20 years old. iv'e seen speakers badly beaten to death by owners but these are so big who would want to move them around. waiting for the wife to get home to help me getting them in the house.hope she ate her wheaties.
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    13 steps and a hand truck. $1,600 , will post pictures later
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    thanks, will do that. as far as the wife helping,it did say for better or worst in the marrage contract.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    Options
    If your stairs are carpeted you can lay the speaker on its back and push up the steps. Those rubber surrounds will last a long long long long time.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    thanks max, they are in the house now. if someone gives me their e-maikladdress i have pictures ready to go. you can post them for me if you know. i have to run out now plus i would have to wait for my son to do it for me. wait to you see them!!!
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    sorry, that was e-mail address
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited May 2007
    Options
    tom,
    Down by the posting window, click "Go Advanced". Once there, scroll down and you will see a button "Manage Attachments". Click that and upload your files, very easy.
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    help, pictures are on desktop now,dont know how to file them. would be easyer if someone did it for me
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    i think i have the pictures. lets see
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    i think a picture was sent twice,o well. when you dond know what you are doing thats what happen. next to the infinitys here,they will be missed. wife is sleeping,so have to wait to blast myself out.
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    i see i need to check my spelling before i send the message out. i type fast and then send before i read it and then see all the mistakes,sorry. so this is how they look befour clean-up. the infinitys are rs2b's about the same year,1986. they sound great and have a big sound stage,bass is awesome. but they are power hungry and need alot of power. they get loud if you push them but then you have to worry about blowing the emim's or emit's and of corse infinity dosent make them anymore. orange county speaker has new diaphragm's for them. the polks will get louder for sure but the infinitys will give them a run for the money in overall sound. its going to be interesting
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    Options
    very nice looking SRS's tom t.. but all models of SDA's do not need to be toed inward like you would a regular speaker.. face them straight forward.. about a foot or more from the rear wall.. and at least 2 ro 3 feet from any side wall (if possible of course).

do you have the SDA cable ? if not, get one.. it makes a huge difference in soundstage.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    yes, i have it. the speakers are not in their place yet. i just put them in the room next to the infinitys. i will take care of it all soon
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    i see you have the silk domes that are the up-grade tweeters. are they just a simple swap out with the ones i have and are they from polk themselves. whats the cost, i might concider doing the changeover if its a big sound improvement
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    Options
    yes, I swapped out the old SL2000 tweeters for the replacement silk dome ones... it was super easy.. just unscrew and unplug the old tweeters.. plug and rescrew in the new ones.. takes less than 5 mins per tweeter.

each silk tweeter can be purchased from Polk Audio for I think about $48 each. so you're looking at about $400 to do both of your speakers. it's worth it too. I highly recommend it.

if you call Polk to order them.. mention first you are a club Polk member.. for a nice discount on parts.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    thank you all, everybody has been very helpfull. i have them hooked up now and the wife is listening to her head banging music,--metallica,led zepplin,ac-dc, all that stuff. they play loud for sure!!. i listened to some of my jazz only for a few minutes to see how they compair to the infinity's. i will say right up front that they do play louder,which i expected. i will say the infinitys do seem to have more bass boom and slam but it does have a bass eq with the system and you can add bass gain and contour. my preamp has no tone controls so the polks are stright up. but there is bass,and plenty of it. as for mids and highs, both very good but at the same volumn infin's maybe alittle smoother, those emim's and emit's are very hard to beat. both speakers were made the same and both cost $3000 so neither one blow's the other away. its a matter of which one you like more. BUT THE POLKS WILL PLAY ALOT LOUDER AND I LIKE THAT, so they are #1 for now. i will get the better tweeters soon and help them out a bit. thanks to all.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Way to go there tom t. They look great.

Darquekight a respected member here offers a SDA Compendium that makes a great required reading for all followers of the Matt Polk SDA crusade.

If you don't have one already and want one just hold up your hand, he will answer.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    thanks read-alot, here they are in their final resting place. drivers all cleaned up ,wood all oiled up. they do sound good. the sound is so much different then the infinitys that im going to need time to get use to them. ive had the infins for 17 years and you just get use to the sound. ive had other speakers hooked up for a while to hear a change in sound,and they all sounded great. i always thought it would be time for a change until i hooked the infin's back up. and then,wham- they sounded better then them all. i like the sound of these polks,not as much as the infin's right now,but i think they will grow on me. also the better tweeters will sound better,im sure
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,089
    edited May 2007
    Options
    tom t wrote: »
    but i think they will grow on me. also the better tweeters will sound better,im sure

This is very true the silk dome's are much smoother and coherent. The chunk of change required to change them all out is large but it's def. worth it since you have a pristine pair of SRS's to put them in.

Once you get some listening time in they will surprise you :)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    yes, im going to get the silk's. i told my wife not to get me something to big for my birthday,that woman just dosent listen!!
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Damn those things look impressive, I can't wait to find a pair close to me. I love BIG speakers
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    spike's!! ok,will give them a try. my wife said never again can i buy big speakers. i guess ill have to send her back home to her dad!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,823
    edited May 2007
    Options
    You need to move them closer to the back wall, 5 or 6 inches away. That will increase the bass response. You need 3 feet from the side wall and at least 6 feet apart and NO toe in. Read the manual, it explains proper set up.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    its well known that moving a speaker closer to the back wall gives off better bass. the speakers are eight feet apart,i though they would like alittle room around them so they are about 20 inches from the back wall. i will move them back some. dont get me wrong on this,the speakers sound great just not perfect--yet. they will get better in time,just have to work on it
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    Options
    That left side wall is messing with them a lot. They would probably sound much better if the left one was about 3 to 4 feet from the wall and the right one right at the corner.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    thet are two and a half feet from the left wall now,i can shidt everything to the right another foot . the right side opens up into the dining room,no wall there so what it is is what it is. i did have an idea??. i dont think many are going to like it but it can work. an equalizer!!. i have a soundcraftsmen 10 bander. i dont like the idea of putting it in the signal path but you never know. it will give you some control over the bottom end,can boost up the few bottoms octave's. has anyone tried useing one with these speakers. just a though.
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    Options
    need spell check!! i ment shift to the right,and they are two feet apart