All North Texas Polkies ok?

RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Clocked 98mph straight line winds tonight.

Only had the 5 year old Maple in the backyard uprooted, she's standing straight now - I'll anchor her down tomorrow with ties - at least she didn't snap. I've got a 3x5 foot section of the roof on the NE side that is tore the F up, but the fence is still standing. Neighbors weren't as lucky, lots of dogs loose, lots of fences and BIG trees down.

Power just came back after a couple of hours, big stack of trashcans in back of the house at the end of the alley.

Just checking in......
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2007
    Damn! I hope everyone is OK.

Are those winds typical for that part of country?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2007
    My amps ok??

Seriously, I hope that everyone is ok..

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2007
    Yes, Troy, your uber modded, powercoated, completely rebuilt, one of a kind Heathkits are A-O-K. I just hope you can pay for at least a years college for Troy Jr when / if. Lucky ****. Charlie Cocci and Gary Dodd BOTH rebuilt these. You should be so lucky. ;)

Pretty common place, tornado alley, par for the course for about 8 months from spring to fall. News reports coming in that some areas weren't as lucky as I was. Got hit pretty good last week, 5 inches of rain an hour, baseball size hail (ice), and several F0-F3 tornados. Makes for an entertaining evening nontheless.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2007
    Man, I was WORRIED...about you, of course.

For the record, those amps will be in one of two places. If they wind up in place #2, pour one in the ground in my memory.

I was in Witchita Falls back in 1992 and we had a tornado come through the base, scared the living **** out of me.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited May 2007
    About 20 minutes after I got to the hotel here in Allen TX it broke lose and while we were deciding if we could make it to a nearby restaurant it blew the front doors of the Hilton Garden Court off their tracks and pretty much trashed them! We dodged some nasty looking stuff on the flight into DFW!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,978
    edited May 2007
    Best of luck to you and your neighbors RuSsMan. Glad to hear you are OK.

In my neck of the woods in Charlotte, NC, we had an Orange moon because of the fires down south from us. Never seen that before.

Mother Nature sure does have a way of letting us all know just how small we really are.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    Glad your ok man. Hope nobody else got hurt.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited May 2007
    The Tornado sirens went off and the Mrs. freaked.
    The wind tossed a few things around. Lots of small branches in the front yard.
    We get a couple of these every year. There is always somewhere around
    Dallas/Ft. Worth that gets those big hailstroms every spring, too.
    I mean baseball size!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited May 2007
    We didn't get it too bad where I was at. I was in Plano (Tollway/Plano Pkwy) having dinner with my parents. Looked like the winds were ripping through there pretty good at 40-50 mph with heavy rain. But, no hail, no super-fast winds. Everything held up there and my apartment seems to be in order as well.

McKinney got it bad? I bet it blew over my co-worker's other pear tree. He lost half of one a couple weeks ago when it stormed. He's gonna be pissed.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited May 2007
    I hope everyone's ok and no serious damage happened.

Thanks for checking in Russ.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited May 2007
    98 MPH........scary. We also get some nasty winds around here once in a while.

Glad to hear only some material damage....

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited May 2007
    We had some crazy weather over in Frisco, probably some of the worst since I've been here in the last five years. Power was out most of the night.

Glad everyone is OK.
  • AndyGwis
    edited May 2007
    Power was out from 7:30pm till this morning for my McKinney co-workers.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2007
    Looks a little worse with the sun up, roof took more hits than I thought.

Mom is in Allen just south of here and the streets are littered with shingles, birds nests, and sad to say, baby birds.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    A friend of mine lives down in Austin, and said they felt a lot of the storm even down there. She said the rains were like a wall of water.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • AndyGwis
    edited May 2007
    I heard the roof totally came off a house at Legacy and Coit. So North Plano/Allen probably got it the worst.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited May 2007
    All is good in my neck of the woods. I live in Krum which is a couple miles northwest of Denton. It rained hard and was quite windy but I guess we didn't see the crappiest part.

Now, I lived in Tulsa for 13 years before moving here back in June of 2003 and I definitely saw worse weather there than the 4 years I've been here. A friend/coworker that lives in Euless tells me it's because of how the fronts have always either stalled or picked up in the DFW area when it storms. Something about the northern front versus the southern front. He's lived there for about 30 years I think. Luckily, I've not seen an F5 since I've lived here but have seen my share of them for the 13 years in Tulsa and also growing up in Arkansas. You gotta love tornado alley, huh?

I'm glad everyone is ok! So far!?!?
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2007
    We had hurricane force winds a couple days ago in College Station. Knocked over a bunch of fences, toppled lots of trees, and rearranged a lot of people trampolines...

No damager here at my house though. My neighbors across the street werent so lucky.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited May 2007
    Everything was good in Bedford. Not so much a few weeks ago with the hail, my house (and cars) were in the middle of it. Summers coming... :)
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited May 2007
    eeeesh, at least you guys are physically OK. could have been worse
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    Glad everyone is fine.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited May 2007
    I'm in Allen and the winds were insane! Part of our fence blew down. Our neighbors fence is leaning over. Shingles everywhere and one of the big trees at the entrance to our neighborhood is leaning pretty good now. Oh yeah, and my little girl slept through the whole thing.

You might also check in your attic to see if anything is messed up as well. The wind was blowing hard enough through the soffets that it lifted up the access panel to our attic(no I don't have stairs) and it's just barely sitting in the hole. I am about to leave to get our fence back up and make sure there isn't any other damage.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    Be safe
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2007
    Hope all is well with all concerned. Be safe folks.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited May 2007
    Hope all is well.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited May 2007
    Man, you guys rock.

A-OK. Car port collapsed next to the Mrs' car. Missed it by a few inches.

We lucked out in Grand Prairie.

Hope everyone is A-OK, too.
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited May 2007
    I'm in Greenville, and managed to be unscathed; although how I dunno. My fence didnt have any sections come down, and it's had them come down in a lesser storm.

Surprised my 3 yr old oak tree made it. It's pretty bad when the top of the tree is bent all the way to the ground!

Glad everyone seems to be ok. Who's hosting the party for the next storm???>? :eek:
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited May 2007
    shameless plug
    All you bastages that survived the storm of the century we had last night need to head over to my FS thread and buy my stuff :D
    / shameless plug

Seriously though, I believe taht at this point all the animals in the beighborhood have been accounted for, it was like national Geographic Wild Kingdom around here this mornign though...
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    Lost one section of the fence. I was going to work on it tonight, but the neigbor already had put it back together. Didn't lose any trees thankfully. I planted some new ones last year and the pulled through the hurricane. Funny we didn't lose any power but I saw lots of dead houses around.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited May 2007
    I'm just glad I picked up my speakers the day prior from RuSsMaN!

Seriously, I am grateful that all is well with everyone up there. We have family up there and am happy to report they did not incur any significant damage over on the Ft Worth side.

Lastly, a plug for Russ. First rate to do business with and both sets of speakers are flawless and sound fantastic. Thanks again, Russ!