Moving into an apartment, need some advice

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Well, I'm looking to make a career change, and in order to do this I need to first go back and finish up school. To have any chance of being successful, I need to free up some of my extra time and responsibilities.

I still need to support myself and my wife, so I'm going to continue working where I'm at full time, so I'm going to have to find some other area to cut back on.

This brings us to getting rid of the house and all the baggage that comes along with it. Aside from saving money that I'll need for school, this also frees up alot of time that I spend on working on things around the house, doing yard work, etc. We're basically looking for a maintenance free lifestyle for the next year or two.

I'm not looking forward to it, but the decision's been made and it is what it is, so I have to make it work out the best I can.

It's been a few years since we've been in an apartment, anything really changed in the last four years? It looks like rents are lower relative to what they were given the economy a few years back.

Where I'm really seeking advice is on the audio side of things. I'd like to hear from those of you that have experience with getting good sound set up in an apartment (and anyone else of course).

Here's a current inventory of what I have set up now:

Home Theater:
Toshiba 57H93 57" HDTV
Denon 3803 Receiver
Denon 910 DVD
Sony SACD Player (don't remember the model)
RTi70 fronts
CSI40 Center
R15 rears
SVS 16-46 PCI cylinder sub

Other 'stuff':
Parasound P/HP 850 preamp
TEAC A-L700P ((see thread)
Pi Studio One (modified - see thread
A bunch of other stuff that really isn't worth mentioning.

I don't really have a bunch of stuff, but know I want to make some changes.

I was thinking that in an apartment an LSi setup may work better, as I've found them to sound better at lower levels than the RTi. I'm not going to do a surround setup, just a 2 channel setup.

I was thinking of going with a pair of LSi7 and a small musical sub, but have concerns about how well they'll fill a room with sound, any thoughts here? I know the Denon won't drive these very well, so would need to get a 2 channel amp to help them out. I've always had a soft spot for Parasound, anyone have any experience in mating that with the LSi series? Any other reccomendations for LSi amps based on personal experience (I don't need a list of amp manufacturers, I know the brands, just looking for insight on personal experience)

I know I'll need a sub with these, but nothing too big or expensive, I'm just looking for a musical sub that will mate with the LSi7 well. I know about the Sunfire sub and a few others, but most of what I've looked at are our of my price range, I'm looking for something in the same price range that I can sell my SVS for. Any thoughts here?

I know headphones are always a good alternative, and will be doing some research into those, but am still wanting to set up a 'real' system as well.

So here's my current plan:
Speakers - I'm thinking I should sell my SVS, RTi70, and CSi40; and buy a pair of LSi7 and a good musical sub.

Preamp - I'm also thinking that I should sell the Denon 3803 in favor of a 2 channel preamp, wonder if there's anything better than my Parasound preamp (850) for around the same price as what I can get for the Denon?

Amp - I'll have to buy this outright, thinking something along the lines of a parasound HCA1500A

Any thoughts, other alternatives that I should consider?
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited May 2007
    I think that would be a great setup for an apartment. I have a 5.1 setup and never get to crank it. Kind of a waste.

Anyway, you could get away with a nice integrated if you'll be running LSi7s. One that has a remote, preouts for the sub, and enough power (maybe 150 into 4ohms), etc. I saw some very nice Arcam integrateds used for cheap on Agon. If I were rebuilding a 2-channel bookie system on a budget, I would get used LSi7/9s and a used Arcam or MF integrated.

Easier, smaller, often cheaper to get a good integrated than comparable separates. Most come with remotes, too. Unless you have floorstanding, I'd get integrated.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2007
    If you like what you already have, keep it (speakers, receiver, sub, etc.) and sell off the non-essential items. Odds are, you're gonna want to re-purchase everything in a year or two, so just consider keeping all of the good stuff.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited May 2007
    i live in a condo...it's good size at 1700 sq ft...my man cave are is abt 12 x 15and no wall on one end (living room starts there). best part is my neighbors, when they're here, are at least 131 years old:D . so, i don't bother anyone!. makes chillin out that much easier.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited May 2007
    After spending the last 3 months in an apt. after 16 years in homes, all I can tell you is you will despise apt life. The opportunity to enjoy your system is much harder since you will be sharing walls. We will be moving into our new home at the end of the month, thank God.

A few years back I went back to school and completed my masters while continuing to teach. I did the degree online which save four hours travel time a week. To pay I used students loans. When I graduated, we refinanced the house and paid off the loan.

Remember, the loss of the tax break from home ownership mortgage interest may be enough to make moving to an apt a financial wash.

Just make sure to truly think it through.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2007
    Why get rid of anything you enjoy? Can always keep the volume a little lower, that's what I've had to do. :D
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2007
    Do whatever you want, but either getting a smaller sub, or playing your current one quieter, and getting a quality headphones/headamp setup is a must.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2007
    I would think a well placed Sunfire sub would work well for you. I've actually heard a setup using a Sunfire Jr. sub and LSis and it was awesome.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2007
    As for not moving, that decision's already been made and the house sold. This was more about having a maintenance free lifestyle than the money.

As for keeping what I have now...well I've never really been impressed with my RTi system at lower volume levels, I have to crank it pretty good to get decent sound.

I'm not really concerned about any financial loss I'll take when selling it, I won't have any problem affording a new setup when I'm ready for it. My larger concern at the moment is still having a decent sounding system when I'm in an apartment, and one that will sound good at lower sound levels.

I like the suggestion on the integrated, think I'm gonna look at my options there...hadn't even thought about that.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    I think you setup is already great for a apartment.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    My brother lives in an apt. He has the LSI 7's & my old Parasound 1500 driving them. He says he hears MORE of everything with it over the 50wpc Rotel that was driving them. And he is playing them at a lower volume to boot!

I will be going down there next month & will confirm it for myself & let you know.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2007
    Sell the Polk's and the SVS, bag one of the new Polk subs and use the Pi with a decent tube integrated, Jolida perhaps. On the LSi front, go for the 9's and some good stands, forget the sub. I've got some 9's on a 40w tube amp right now, and it's SUPERB.

Couple of years when things settle down, Polk it up again for HT.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2007
    Do you know of any good integrated amps with a remote. Yeah, I know it's weak, but this is going to be my primary system for the next couple of years, remote capability is really important if I can get it without sacrificing sound quality.

I'm going to keep the Pi speakers, but am going to keep them in the bedroom, most likely on the gear I'm using now as I really like that setup.

So you're thinking that with some 9s, taht I won't need a sub?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2007
    I listen to 9's in a small room, music only, and have no desire for a sub. If you want one, you can always add it later.

There are a TON of GREAT integrated amps with remotes, for not a lot of scratch - we can cross that bridge when you come to it (gear is sold).

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2007
    Matter of fact, you'll get to hear the 9's setup as I listen to them this weekend at the Lone Star Audio Fest.
  • AndyGwis
    edited May 2007
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    Do you know of any good integrated amps with a remote. Yeah, I know it's weak, but this is going to be my primary system for the next couple of years, remote capability is really important if I can get it without sacrificing sound quality.

Weak?!? I had a nice setup with a B&K Pro 10MC and ST-202, but not having a remote killed me. I'm so lazy, I ended up buying a Lexicon processor and put it in there with the B&K combo just to have remote capabilities. I figured there had to be a better way to good, convenient music than having three components that took up hella rack space and weighted a combine 80lbs.

My MF A3.2 has everything I want. I would look at a MF A300, Music Hall Mambo, Classe has some offerings, Creek, Krell (pricey), DK designs (big), NAD has some, and ALOT of good ones from Arcam.

If I didn't find such a great deal on the MF, I probably would've gotten one of the Arcams based on price and functionality. This is all based on research, might want to demo some of them for yourself.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • AndyGwis
    edited May 2007
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    Well living in an apartmant running my small 2ch setup has been fine for me. My RTA 12b's sing on 8 watts of tube power and the acoustics in my room make it sound like surround sound. I'm sure that you will have no problem enjoying sound in the apt.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited May 2007
    Think Magnepan's! Big sound at low volumes, and minimized bass thump that disturbs the neighbors. I'm not sure of all the physics involved, but I know for a fact that for a given amount of bass sound, you get less transfer through the floors/walls with Magnepan's than with the typical monkey-coffins.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited May 2007
    So, since nobody else asked, what are you returning to school for?! Congrats on the decision! It's one that not a lot of people will make...
    I am enrolled for this fall at a local university myself to continue my education.. it can be scary yet in the end it will be an investment you won't regret!!!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,161
    edited May 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Sell the Polk's and the SVS, bag one of the new Polk subs and use the Pi with a decent tube integrated, Jolida perhaps. On the LSi front, go for the 9's and some good stands, forget the sub. I've got some 9's on a 40w tube amp right now, and it's SUPERB.

Couple of years when things settle down, Polk it up again for HT.

Cheers,
    Russ

+1. with my 9's I don't even consider getting a sub it's not nec at all to enjoy them fully. With the 7's a sub is pretty nec to get decent bass. I run mine with a SS amp but both RuSs and ND13 (Noel) seem to have success running tubes and LSi's. Keep it simple and you'll be surprised how good it can sound (much better than a middle of the road HT set-up).
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited May 2007
    LSi7 setup on a budget, I highly recommend something like HK3375 or HK3480. I have a 3375 and LSi7's in my bedroom setup with the SVS sub I got from Russ. I have too much gear and too little time to listen, and baby on the way, so I might consider selling the bedroom setup (or part of it).
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited May 2007
    at least now if your going smaller and 2 channel the option to try a tube amp with the lsi7's or 9's :)
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited May 2007
    Not all apartments are created equal. I bought a pair of LSi15's back in February and I live in an apartment. My old place (moved on 4/30/07) was built in 1910, and I never had any issues with disturbing the neighbors. Now I live in an apartment in an old graystone that was built around 1920 and haven't had any complaints yet. Are you going to be moving into a complex with paper thin walls and shoddy construction or into an old(er) building that's pretty solid? I'd keep what you have and just adjust the volume if it might disturb the neighbors.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre