Do not plant trees next to big steel rods.

del44
del44 Posts: 686
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
2 years ago I had a big 45 year old maple tree that got hit by lightning. The strike was about 5' off the ground. It hit one side of the tree and blew the bark off the other side. It was so bad, I had to get a tree co. to remove it. As they were cutting it down they were getting to the area where the lighting hit. Their chainsaws kept hitting something metal in the middle of the tree. Well, to make a long story short, this is what thy ran into. Some type of truck axel or something. Because of this 1" piece of solid steel I cannot use a stump grinder. It would gret all tore up. This piece of steel was about 5' higher but the tree guys rocked the upper part of the stump until it broke. I guess I'll keep on carving until I find the bottom of it. Trying to burn the stump doesn't help. What an eye sore.[IMG][/img]100_2366.jpg
Post edited by del44 on

Comments

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    That sucks man...My parents had a dead branch on an old tree trimmed off, and the whole tree ended up falling into the street after they dropped that branch....The stump was about 4ft in diameter, it took my dad and I about three days to get that thing ground down....It never ended up looking good though.....
  • TN_Polk_Lover
    TN_Polk_Lover Posts: 243
    edited April 2007
    I may have dreamed this, but it seems many years ago I remember seeing at Lowe's or Home Depot a product that you pour onto a tree stump and it helps speed up the deterioration of the stump to make it easier to get rid of. But, like I said, it was many years ago, and I may be totally luney.
    Robert
    You are officially in the high-end of the deep-end of the top-end.

Bonus Room Over Garage:
    Toshiba 27" CRT TV
    Digital Source: Sony DVP-NS3100ES
    DVR: Panasonic DMR-ES15
    Denon 3806 AV Receiver
    - L/R Preamp out to Parasound HCA-1200 Amp
    Polk RTi70's, CSi40 Center, RTi38 Side Surrounds, RTi38 Back Surrounds

Living Room: (2ch only)
    TV: Sony KV20-FV12
    DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS715P
    Yamaha R9 Receiver Polk RTi38's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited April 2007
    Shove a stick of dynamite about a foot deep into the center, problem solved.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited April 2007
    I may have dreamed this, but it seems many years ago I remember seeing at Lowe's or Home Depot a product that you pour onto a tree stump and it helps speed up the deterioration of the stump to make it easier to get rid of. But, like I said, it was many years ago, and I may be totally luney.

Yea, it's a bacteria that speeds decomposition which really is the only way to perfectly get rid of them.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited April 2007
    I may have dreamed this, but it seems many years ago I remember seeing at Lowe's or Home Depot a product that you pour onto a tree stump and it helps speed up the deterioration of the stump to make it easier to get rid of.

I was also wondering if I dreamed that idea last week. Some utility-company sponsored tree removals have left me about 10 small stumps in the back yard. This looks like a good possibility. Especially with a steel rod in the middle... man.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2007
    I did tree work for a while. We have found horse shoes in them, railroad spikes, cables, and rocks.... Lots of stuff.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited April 2007
    But Jesse's idea would be quicker. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2007
    I would stick a severed goat head on top of it for good luck.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    Get all hogged up and throw some horseshoes with your friends.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2007
    How about taking a gas welding torch and heating that rod until it chars all of the wood surrounding it? Once you do that you should be able to break it loose and pull it out.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited April 2007
    No joke you can get a powder man to blow it out for you. a good powder man can place it just about anywhere you want it to land. A bad powder man can do what happened to a friend years ago blew it out right over the house and into his drivway on top of his car.

The truth is I Don't know if it is still done. But back then a good powder man was like an artist.
  • ben62670
    edited April 2007
    You can drill big holes in it, and fill them with drain oil mixed with gas or kerosene. Let it soak overnight. Fill again, and light it. Stumps are wet, and more dense than the rest of the tree. Its not a fast way to do it, but I like fire, and its easy. Repeat several times. Straight Kero works good to if you don't have drain oil. Be creative :)
    Or you could go redneck, and make one of them there fancy planters out of an old tire:p
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2007

No dream, it's plain old lye. Rent an industrial drill or auger that can drill 1/2" or larger hole as deep as you can 1 ft would be great. Drill as many of these holes as you can. Fill them with crystal lye or Draino. Use a mask and DO NOT INHALE ANY of THE POWDER!! Draino or lye is chemically known as sodium hydroxide. It will break down the cellular structure of the wood. After about a year you can use a pick axe to break apart the stump. If there is still hardwood left, use more lye and wait another year. This is a slow process but it will do the job in a couple of years.

Black power will also do the job. Not an easy thing to do in the city. Shock waves break water lines, etc. Most times, it will be difficult to get a permit.

The best way is to hire a contractor with a big back hoe, he'll get it out. Then it's time for landscaping. Insurance companies usually cover the cost for tree removal from lightning strikes.
    Carl

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Get all hogged up and throw some horseshoes with your friends.

I like this option the best, but also think it would be even better when coupled with this:

You can drill big holes in it, and fill them with drain oil mixed with gas or kerosene. Let it soak overnight. Fill again, and light it.....
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2007
    "Hey, I finally got it around the post!"

"Yeah, well. You can just go retrieve it, too. I'm not sticking my hand in that firey blaze!"
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited April 2007
    Those darn tree huggers from the early '60s, spiking trees to kill lumberjacks....can you believe it?;)

I see that all the time out here in the country, but the trees are growing around those orange fence posts put along side them to hold them up during their early life, and someone forgot to remove it until it was too late.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • ben62670
    edited April 2007
    strider wrote: »
    I like this option the best, but also think it would be even better when coupled with this:

You can drill big holes in it, and fill them with drain oil mixed with gas or kerosene. Let it soak overnight. Fill again, and light it.....

It burns more like a candle, and for a quite a bit of time. I have done this. Its nothing scary. Just something to do to kill time, stump, and maybe some beers if thats your cup o tea. Make sure to have a dirt buffer around the stump. Back in the day it was a good excuse to get a keg, and burn something;)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited April 2007
    I'm loving the suggestions. But DYNAMITE is a no go.:eek: Too close to the house. I've built big fires on that thing last year. Barely made a dent in this friggin thing. It's the stump from hell! I like the idea of dumping some sort of stumpacide or kerosene into it though. I think that the rod may be very deep in the ground. Bad thing is that there's a matching maple on the other side of the yard. Probably another 6' lighting rod in that one too.
  • ben62670
    edited April 2007
    del44 wrote: »
    I'm loving the suggestions. But DYNAMITE is a no go.:eek: Too close to the house. I've built big fires on that thing last year. Barely made a dent in this friggin thing. It's the stump from hell! I like the idea of dumping some sort of stumpacide or kerosene into it though. I think that the rod may be very deep in the ground. Bad thing is that there's a matching maple on the other side of the yard. Probably another 6' lighting rod in that one too.

One tree I cut down had a copper wire the size of you finger running up to the top of the tree. It had been there so long that it had grown into the tree, and you could see it popping out here and there. BTW building a fire on top of a stump is like building a fire on ice when Ice fishing. They burn up;)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited April 2007
    schwarcw wrote: »
    No dream, it's plain old lye. Rent an industrial drill or auger that can drill 1/2" or larger hole as deep as you can 1 ft would be great. Drill as many of these holes as you can. Fill them with crystal lye or Draino. Use a mask and DO NOT INHALE ANY of THE POWDER!! Draino or lye is chemically known as sodium hydroxide. It will break down the cellular structure of the wood. After about a year you can use a pick axe to break apart the stump.

This works very well. I have a stump that's 6' across from an old Gum tree that was hit by lightning that I used this method on last spring. Now you can kick it over! I'll be taking the axe to it in a couple more weeks to get rid of it.
  • ben62670
    edited April 2007
    If you can find someone in the tree biz you can get a chemical that you apply to the outer ring of the stump, and in about a month you can kick it out with your boots. If you can get this stuff be extremely careful with it. It is super toxic, and a couple drops soaked into your skin can make you very ill. Does not hurt wells or anything else, and is safe after a day or two.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    WOW and Dang
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.