Help..Alpine amp with Momo

jamaicanj
jamaicanj Posts: 9
edited May 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am checking to see if the Alpine MRP-F250 4/3/2 channel power amp has sufficient power for a pair of Polk MMC6500 components as well as a pair of Polk MMC650.

The specs on the amp:

RMS Power (at 14.4V THD+N, 20Hz-20kHz)
Per channel into 4 ohms: 40W x 4 (0.08% THD)
Per channel into 2 ohms: 50W x 4
Brigded 4 ohms: 180W x 2

The Alpine amp link: http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=MRP-F250

The MMC6500 link: http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/specs/mmc6500/

The MMC650 link: http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mmc650/

Any help would be appreciated
Onwards and upwards!
Post edited by jamaicanj on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited April 2007
    jamaicanj wrote: »
    I am checking to see if the Alpine MRP-F250 4/3/2 channel power amp has sufficient power for a pair of Polk MMC6500 components as well as a pair of Polk MMC650.

The specs on the amp:

RMS Power (at 14.4V THD+N, 20Hz-20kHz)
    Per channel into 4 ohms: 40W x 4 (0.08% THD)
    Per channel into 2 ohms: 50W x 4
    Brigded 4 ohms: 180W x 2

The Alpine amp link: http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=MRP-F250

The MMC6500 link: http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/specs/mmc6500/

The MMC650 link: http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mmc650/

Any help would be appreciated

Do you have the amp already?

If not, the Momos could do with more power than that can put out...I'd look at at least 75X4 watts up to 100 watts RMS for best results.

If you do have that amp already, it'll work, but the MMC series aren't as efficient as some of the cheaper models- you'd need more than 40 or 50 watts to really get some output from them. The MMC6500 are rated for 125 watts RMS, while the MMC650 are rated for 80 watts RMS. More power would be best for optimum results.
  • jamaicanj
    edited April 2007
    Do you have the amp already?

If not, the Momos could do with more power than that can put out...I'd look at at least 75X4 watts up to 100 watts RMS for best results.

If you do have that amp already, it'll work, but the MMC series aren't as efficient as some of the cheaper models- you'd need more than 40 or 50 watts to really get some output from them. The MMC6500 are rated for 125 watts RMS, while the MMC650 are rated for 80 watts RMS. More power would be best for optimum results.

Yes, I have the amp already...and I am not quite satisfied so I figured that I was not getting enough power to the speakers. I am a newbie, so I have to defer to the more knowledgeable folks here on the forum. Sounds like I may need to get the amp upgraded.

If anyone else has an opinion one way or the other, kindly share.

Thanks again...much appreciated.
    Onwards and upwards!
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited April 2007
    I would probably go with the Rockford Fosgate though. I think that's what I'm gonna go with when I hook my system up.
  • Jack from Indo
    Jack from Indo Posts: 109
    edited April 2007
    Why do you need two sets of speakers? For the rear? I'm surprised at all my friends who seem to think rear speakers make a better sound. Is that you too?

If you don't need them for passengers, bridge the amp just for the fronts and be happy. It'll sound way better. Honest. Rear speakers are a cheap, pathetic substitute for a well imaged and tuned front stage. Apologies if that is not your situation.
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited April 2007
    He's right you know. If you dont have a lot of people ride with you then they're a waste of money. Invest it elsewhere. All rear speakers do is throw your whole sound off. Think about it...you're sitting up front in the driver seat right? Well why do you need speakers in the back where you're not sitting? Get some nice components up front, make sure you're deck is good enough to be able to tune in your speakers real good and there you go. That's all you need for a good system. The ONLY reason I'm putting some speakers in my rear is because I have my wife and kids ride with me all the time. But when I'm by myself they will be pretty much turned off, or at least so low that I wont be able to hear them.
  • jamaicanj
    edited April 2007
    I have purchased and installed the speakers already...with the components in the front. Its a 350z so the rear speakers are right behind my head/shoulder so I can hear them just fine as its not a big family car.

I am going to trade up my amp then for a bigger alpine amp possibly the alpine MRP-F450. Do you guys/gals think that will be enough power?

Here is the link for the MRP-F450: http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=MRP-F450
    Onwards and upwards!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2007
    If you're putting a system in such a small car as the 350Z, then you've got an even weaker argument for putting in rear speakers.

The whole idea is that just front speakers will create a more accurate, precise recreation of the music. Rear speakers will provide 'rear fill', thus muddling the imaging and soundstage created from the front speakers.

As to which you prefer (accurate reproduction or surrounding sound) is totally up to you. It's all personal preference.

However, when you're dealing with an area as small as the interior of a 350Z, there's not much gained by having rear speakers for that rear fill effect. In my personal opinion, money would be much better spent on something else besides rear speakers in this application.

But, like I said, it's up to you; if you like it, awesome.

That Alpine MRP-F450 would do a great job of powering those MMC6500. However, it's not enough to power both your components AND your rear speakers. You're going to need a six-channel amp, a four-channel amp and a two-channel amp, or a monster four-channel amp, in which case the rear channels would be, effectively, wasted on the rear speakers.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • jamaicanj
    edited April 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    If you're putting a system in such a small car as the 350Z, then you've got an even weaker argument for putting in rear speakers.

The whole idea is that just front speakers will create a more accurate, precise recreation of the music. Rear speakers will provide 'rear fill', thus muddling the imaging and soundstage created from the front speakers.

As to which you prefer (accurate reproduction or surrounding sound) is totally up to you. It's all personal preference.

However, when you're dealing with an area as small as the interior of a 350Z, there's not much gained by having rear speakers for that rear fill effect. In my personal opinion, money would be much better spent on something else besides rear speakers in this application.

But, like I said, it's up to you; if you like it, awesome.

That Alpine MRP-F450 would do a great job of powering those MMC6500. However, it's not enough to power both your components AND your rear speakers. You're going to need a six-channel amp, a four-channel amp and a two-channel amp, or a monster four-channel amp, in which case the rear channels would be, effectively, wasted on the rear speakers.

Right now I have the MRP-F250 installed and running the 2 pairs of speakers. I was not all that thrilled and figured it was a power issue. I was of course hoping that the MRP-F450 being the next one up would be enough to power the 2 pairs...but you don't think that will be enough.
    Onwards and upwards!
  • jamaicanj
    edited April 2007
    Ok, so it sounds like my current Alpine MRP-F250 4/3/2 channel power amp does not have sufficient power for a pair of Polk MMC6500 components as well as a pair of Polk MMC650.

So the next amps up the food chain from Alpine are listed below.

Do you all think that the F450 will be sufficient??

Here is the link for the MRP-F450: http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=MRP-F450

Here is the link for the MRP-F550: http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=MRP-F550

Thanks again
    Onwards and upwards!
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2007
    Perhaps I came on a little strong with my opinions on the MRP-F450. It will definitely drive your current setup; I mean, the one you have now will. The only question is will it drive them satisfactorily? And that, ultimately, is a question only you can answer.

However, it is possible that you would be satisfied with the MRP-F450. That'd be 70watts per mid/tweeter combo. I'm personally running 140watts per mid/tweeter combo (70 to the tweeter, 70 to the mid). While that's more than necessary, I would really look for more than 35 each (70 per combo), especially since you're buying another amp anyways.

The MRP-F550 would drive your speakers MUCH better. Being perfectly honest, I'd still want a bit more power per tweeter/mid combo than 90watts (as they are rated for 125watts), but 90's getting closer. You might would be perfectly happy with 90watts, especially if you're not a very critical listener and don't listen at loud volumes.

Just another thought. Why are you set on Alpine? I don't have any other amplifiers in particular in mind that would do better, I'm just curious.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • jamaicanj
    edited April 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Perhaps I came on a little strong with my opinions on the MRP-F450. It will definitely drive your current setup; I mean, the one you have now will. The only question is will it drive them satisfactorily? And that, ultimately, is a question only you can answer.

However, it is possible that you would be satisfied with the MRP-F450. That'd be 70watts per mid/tweeter combo. I'm personally running 140watts per mid/tweeter combo (70 to the tweeter, 70 to the mid). While that's more than necessary, I would really look for more than 35 each (70 per combo), especially since you're buying another amp anyways.

The MRP-F550 would drive your speakers MUCH better. Being perfectly honest, I'd still want a bit more power per tweeter/mid combo than 90watts (as they are rated for 125watts), but 90's getting closer. You might would be perfectly happy with 90watts, especially if you're not a very critical listener and don't listen at loud volumes.

Just another thought. Why are you set on Alpine? I don't have any other amplifiers in particular in mind that would do better, I'm just curious.

Strong opinions are fine and are welcomed as well. You have more experience than I so I"ll take constructive comments in all forms.

I am stuck on Alpine as I have had Alpine amps and HU's over the years and the brand loyalty is kicking in. It was hard enough pulling away from buying the alpine speakers to buying the Polk speakers...but the install guy insisted that the Polk were far better than the Alpine. He even said that I would like the Polks more than the JL audio speakers.
    Onwards and upwards!
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2007
    Smart install guy. Glad he steered ya right.

And there's nothing wrong with Alpine's amps. Good stuff.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited April 2007
    http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2460
    Alpine MRV-F545 - Alpine 4 Ch. 500 Watt Amplifier

:D:D:D

On clearance- get 'em before they're gone.
  • jamaicanj
    edited May 2007
    Any further input? Opinions?
    Onwards and upwards!
  • Doobie2
    Doobie2 Posts: 10
    edited May 2007
    I am running an Alpine PDX4.150 to my SR's and Momo's. I was not happy with the Alpine 450, mo bettah at 150 each. I like the clarity at modest power with the increased amperage.
    Pioneer Premier DEH -7800MP
    Polkaudio -- SIGNATURE REFERENCE SR6500
    Rear MMC6500
    /////ALPINE MRP-M450
    /////ALPINE PDX 4.150
    2 X Polk MOMO 2084 in Q Logic Box
    2006 Tundra Access Cab
  • Doobie2
    Doobie2 Posts: 10
    edited May 2007
    Just to clarify, it was the Alpine MRP-F450 (70 Watts per ch) that I was not really happy with, although it was ok with the momos, not the SR's. I was worried that 150 per channel was too much, but it is perfect for my system, the PDX amp is so small too!
    Pioneer Premier DEH -7800MP
    Polkaudio -- SIGNATURE REFERENCE SR6500
    Rear MMC6500
    /////ALPINE MRP-M450
    /////ALPINE PDX 4.150
    2 X Polk MOMO 2084 in Q Logic Box
    2006 Tundra Access Cab
  • jamaicanj
    edited May 2007
    Anyone else care to share or advise??
    Onwards and upwards!