Amp question from a newbie

cechilds
cechilds Posts: 9
edited May 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I know this is going to sound dumb to you know it all guys/girls out there, but I have a question about the output of an amp. If I bridge my amp to get 95W RMS (2 ohms) out of two channels, and my speakers (DB 571s) can handle 60W RMS, do the speakers split the wattage, or do all 95W go to both speakers, or how does that work???:confused: Thanks in advance to all you know-it-alls. :)
Post edited by cechilds on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited April 2007
    cechilds wrote: »
    I know this is going to sound dumb to you know it all guys/girls out there, but I have a question about the output of an amp. If I bridge my amp to get 95W RMS (2 ohms) out of two channels, and my speakers (DB 571s) can handle 60W RMS, do the speakers split the wattage, or do all 95W go to both speakers, or how does that work???:confused: Thanks in advance to all you know-it-alls. :)

Just to clarify, you have a four-channel amp that you want to bridge into two channels to get 95 watts? Can you link to the amplifier you are planning on doing this with?
  • cechilds
    edited April 2007
    http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2006/product_AUDIO_amp_gothic.htm

Its the OV4-840.

I want to run four speakers off two channels at 2 ohms and bridge the other two to get 190W from them.

I hope this helps
  • Greg Peters
    edited April 2007
    The specs listed state 80 watts x 4 RMS with a 4 ohm load, 95 watts x 4 RMS with a 2 ohm load. The specification for bridged operation only lists 840 watts, but doesn't specify whether that's at one or two channels. I tried to download the manual for this amp, but the site doesn't seem setup to allow me to do that properly- shows a .pdf icon but will not select to download.

If your intention is to power a pair of db 571s, just run them at the 80 watts RMS from a pair of channels, as the speakers are rated 4 ohm nominal impedance. Even at 80 watts, you'll have to set your gains carefully as the amp will have potential to put more heat into the db's voice coils than they could dissipate at high volume...potential to damage the speakers without self control with the volume knob. You'll be overpowering those dbs at 80 watts, so I can't really see the benefit of overpowering them further.

For the sake of argument, the 80 watts from one pair of amplifier channels would be for each speaker. If you were to parallel two of them to each channel for a 2 ohm load (total of 4 speakers on both channels unbridged), the 95 watt rms rating (at 2 ohms) would be divided between both speakers connected to that channel, for 47.5 watts each.
  • cechilds
    edited April 2007
    so what youre saying is that if I push 95 watts into one "loop" of a pair of speakers, the wattage will be split between them? (I hope this makes sense, it did in my head)
  • Greg Peters
    edited April 2007
    cechilds wrote: »
    so what youre saying is that if I push 95 watts into one "loop" of a pair of speakers, the wattage will be split between them? (I hope this makes sense, it did in my head)

Connect two pair of speakers (wired parallel, for a 2 ohm load) to left front amplifier channel= 95 watts / 2 = 47.5 watts to each of the two. Do the same for the right front...same results. Be prepared to lose ability to fade between the two pair, however. If that's not an issue, that should work just fine.

I was composing your "answer" before you edited the post, and had to guess what you were planning on doing ;) .
  • cechilds
    edited April 2007
    lol very cool, thank you a lot for your help, i really appreciate it
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2007
    if you bridge that amp, you'll get around 240 x 2 into 4 ohms.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge