Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2007
    markmarc wrote: »
    Fun thread. After much whittling down I just couldn't cut any more.

Silent Spring - Rachel Carson
    Centennial - James Mitchener

Agreed, great thread.

These are both good reads. I also have enjoyed Chesapeake and Alaska by Mitchener, just make sure you're ready to read the entire history of the area; if I remember correctly as Alaska began, it was set in Pangea.

Some others I've enjoyed are:
    My First Summer in the Sierra- John Muir
    The Great Gatsby- F Scott Fitzgerald
    Grapes of Wrath- John Steinbeck
    Dharma Bums- Jack Keruoac
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • kalgiers
    kalgiers Posts: 14
    edited April 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Two GREAT autobiographies - Chuck Yeager and AJ Foyt. You don't need to be a racing or aeronautical nut to enjoy either.

Cheers,
    Russ

If you liked Yeagers book, I heavily recommend "To Fly and To Fight", memoirs of Bud Anderson. I got both his and yeagers books at the same time and enjoyed them both but perferred Anderson's. A bit more airplane oriented and spends more time talking about his time in WW2 where he served in the same squadron as Yeager, but well worth the read.

One of my favorite works of fiction has to be "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited April 2007
    kalgiers wrote: »
    One of my favorite works of fiction has to be "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien.

UNBELIEVABLE book! I would also highly recommend Going After Cacciato, but my nod certainly goes to ....Carried.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    I'll second Lord of the Rings. There's a reason why it's the best selling fantasy book of all time. Amazing!

Some personal favs are:

Stephen King - IT
    Michael Crichton - Jurrasic Park
    Mark Twain - Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Lots of other good mentions in here. Great thread!

John
    No excuses!
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2007
    Lord of the Rings is a great series to read (There are more than just the trilogy), but it's really hard for some folks to follow. If you liked the movies, read the books. Gives you even more insight.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited April 2007
    Two excellent suggestions...
    I actually spent an entire day at a bookstore reading Ender's Game in its entirety. Picked it up to read the first page and couldn't put it down until I was finished.
    If you like science fiction/fantasy type novels look into terry brooks novels. His shanarra series were my personal favorites.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for the suggestion Snow... I'll be sure to check it out:)
    I also immensely enjoy Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Kind of like Douglas Adams' fantasy counterpart.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited April 2007
    IMO, If you want to read Tolkein, read The Hobbit I just finished LOTR for class and wow did it get boring in parts. Maybe if I could have read at my own pace but still, Hobbit is my favorite.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2007
    ledhed wrote: »
    IMO, If you want to read Tolkein, read The Hobbit I just finished LOTR for class and wow did it get boring in parts. Maybe if I could have read at my own pace but still, Hobbit is my favorite.

The LOTR trilogy is my favorite group of books, as you may be able to tell from my screen name. I can't tell you how many times I've read them. Every time I've read them I find something new. The Hobbit felt a bit too fairytale-ish at times, when compared to the trilogy. I still enjoy it, just not as much. If you want to fall asleep to a JRR book, try The Silmarillion. From my understanding, Christopher Tolkien (JRR's son) took his father's background stories and notes for the trilogy and made them into the Silmarillion. JRR had created an entire world; languages, cultures, wars, religions, etc as a back story. Talk about attention to detail. Basically starts out with the forming of the world, how life began, etc. Really gets bad when he enumerates the geneology of the elves. I've tried to read it numerous times, I want to understand the world he created better, but I just can't get through it.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2007
    Two books that I really enjoyed reading are The Chosen by Chaiam Potok and all of Jeff Shaara's works. He writes historical fiction, probably my favorite genre.

I also really enjoyed The Scarlet Letter, The Scarlet Pimpernel, 1984, Animal Farm, Allen French's works (been a few years since I've read anything by him, though...may be a bit elementary...can't remember).

But my main recommendation is The Chosen, Jeff Shaara's works, and of course Charles Dickens' works.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited April 2007
    1.) For Whom the Bell Tolls (Hemingway. Best........book.......ever)

2.) East of Eden (Steinbeck. For some reason, this one gets to me more than Grapes of Wrath. If I could only be as strong as Adam Trask in the face of non-stop adversity...)

3.) Band of Brothers (Stephen Ambrose. Even if you've seen the series, read it....)

4.) Sympathy for the Devil (Kent Anderson. Not a classic, but a very fun read for someone that enjoys a good war book.)

5.)Dispatches (Michael Herr. Another great war book.)
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited April 2007
    strider wrote: »
    If you want to fall asleep to a JRR book, try The Silmarillion.

Done it. Had to read it for class. The stuff gets REALLY interesting though as you learn the meanings behind all kinds of stuff (such as the importance of the White Tree). It is extremely boring to read but really makes LOTR much better.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2007
    Strider:
    I've read just about every Michener, it was tought o pick one of his as Poland, Alaska, and the Source are also tremendous works.

For pure belly laughs Semi-Tough is hard to beat.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited April 2007
    im surprised no one has mentioned agatha christies "and then there were none"

one of the greatest novels i have read in my life.