Gears of War

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,056
edited July 2007 in Video Games
ROCKS

Intense game, by far. I dig it.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited April 2007
    Options
    It is just one the 360 as of now. The game is really awesome though. I actually just got booted out of a multiplayer game because some incredibly angry little kid was screaming for his teammates to help him up but we were on the other end of the map so he kicked us all "for being noobs". There are some really vile little **** playing this game.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Its one of the best games ever.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,653
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Best Game and Best online game.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • VR3
    edited April 2007
    Options
    This game is what Halo should be in some aspects. As far as graphics and gore.

The gore is off the charts cool. Haha...

Im just playing it on casual right now. Extremely to easy - but Ill definitely be playing this one again.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Got it for Xmas. Still in shrinkwrap!
  • VR3
    edited April 2007
    Options
    You owe it to yourself to open eerrrr up.
  • fatchowmein
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Will do Monday night. I'll report back.
  • VR3
    edited April 2007
    Options
    If you are good at FPS - you may want to start it off on the one above Casual...

Casual is very...casual...
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited April 2007
    Options
    What the heck, start at insane and tone it down if it's too intense. After you get the hang of things like cover and the roadie run, the whole object of the game is to lay down smart fire on the bad guys while taking almost no damage yourself. The only real challenge I found comes when you have to learn how to take down certain bosses, and of course the exploding guys are tough on the smaller insane level health. All the gamer points stack so if you complete stuff on insane you get all the points for the lower levels anyways.
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I'm falling out of love with Gears. I've played it a lot, especially multiplayer online, and its such a glitchy POS. I'm tired or snipe shots going through people and not hitting them... meleeing people while they're down and whiffing every time, the BS chainsaw... the list goes on. Epic did a pretty bad job at the finer details of the game, and the updates have actually made the game worse (get near a wall and you're stuck to it).

I'll be happy once the Halo 3 beta is out. I'm ready for something better!
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited April 2007
    Options
    bknauss wrote: »
    I'm falling out of love with Gears. I've played it a lot, especially multiplayer online, and its such a glitchy POS. I'm tired or snipe shots going through people and not hitting them... meleeing people while they're down and whiffing every time, the BS chainsaw... the list goes on. Epic did a pretty bad job at the finer details of the game, and the updates have actually made the game worse (get near a wall and you're stuck to it).

I'll be happy once the Halo 3 beta is out. I'm ready for something better!

The netcode is pretty awful in the game no doubt. Matches are extremely host dependent. Try hosting a game and you will feel invincible. Shotgun works against people a good 20 ft away no problem etc. It is highly unbalanced. At least they did add more blood to the hosts screen when they are in battles but it hardly compensates for the weapons working a crap load better.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Never really liked the mechanics of this game. Graphics are great, but beyond that it left nothing for me. :(
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I play all FPS at the hardest level. When I'm done, I'm done.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2007
    Options
    wallstreet wrote: »
    I play all FPS at the hardest level. When I'm done, I'm done.

NOT SO. there is still xbox live. it's like a whole new game altogether. though i don't dig this game online, well, except for duo-campaign.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • fatchowmein
    edited April 2007
    Options
    If you are good at FPS - you may want to start it off on the one above Casual...

Casual is very...casual...

Did as instructed. Good game. Enjoying it. Great eye candy. Great sound f/x. Fun but not revolutionary like what Halo did for the original Xbox. Still too early into the game to give an overall impression. Have not tried online.

Currently, Call of Duty 2 is my fav on X360. Haven't tried 3. We'll see if things change when I finish GoW.
  • VR3
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Dude... GOW in 1080i is absolutely INSANE
  • fatchowmein
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Dude... GOW in 1080i is absolutely INSANE

1080i with the speakers cranked is INSANE.
  • VR3
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Dont have the audio setup yet...

Soon..soon!
  • fatchowmein
    edited April 2007
    Options
    1080i
    Crank the volume
    Turn off the lights
    Liter of soda sitting one ice with a hose attached (straws too short)

... and nothing scheduled for the next 24 hours - priceless
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2007
    Options
    New map-pack being released on Thursday!!!!
  • sageleo
    sageleo Posts: 170
    edited May 2007
    Options
    GoW is probably one of the best games I have played, but I still like the Halo series alittle more... has anyone downloaded the new maps for gears and if so how are they?
    T.V.- Sony KDL50W800B
    Blu Ray- Custom built HT PC
    Vizio Sound bar- S4221W
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Halo is not even the best FPS shooter. But, thats my opinion, and it doesnt really matter.

I have played 2 of the new maps. I have played Subway and the garden one. I don't care for the garden one much at all, but I really like the Subway one. Great graphics, very fun layout, easy to sneak up on the other team, great angles for the longshot, boomshot and torquebow.
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote: »

I have played 2 of the new maps. I have played Subway and the garden one. I don't care for the garden one much at all, but I really like the Subway one. Great graphics, very fun layout, easy to sneak up on the other team, great angles for the longshot, boomshot and torquebow.

I know they cost some money, do you know when they will be free?... I know, I'm very cheap. But I just feel that since you pay 50 bucks a year and the game, you should get them free... but thats just me.:p

I haven't been on in a while... finals are done this week so I'll prolly be on then, if anyones up for some halo let me know:D
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2007
    Options
    They will be free in September. However, they are easily worth the $10.

I have since played the other two. Subway is still my favorite, but the other two are both great. Bullet Marsh is a like a dark 8 pattern. Process is probably my second favorite out of the new maps. Its just very conducive to lots of action. Its a very good map for sneaking around behind the other team.
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Anyone else heard anything regarding rumors of new weapons being introduced into the game?

I for one do not want anymore weapons. I find it remarkable how perfectly well balanced the game is and I fear that new weapons would destroy that otherwise perfect balance. The world does not need another rocket launcher bonanza shooter.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2007
    Options
    did you guys kill raam? I am tired of dying, and Dom wasn't worth a piss..
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited May 2007
    Options
    new maps are DEFINATLEY worth the cash.
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2007
    Options
    polkatese wrote: »
    did you guys kill raam? I am tired of dying, and Dom wasn't worth a piss..

I can't kill him on Insane, but otherwise yes. If you are going to do it on insane, you're going to need a second real life player to help.
  • bert26
    bert26 Posts: 320
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I really enjoyed this game. I usually suck at shooters but since you have infinite lives out of the box you can actually learn from the game and comlpete it.

I have defeated Raam on all three levels, but I had to glitch him on insane.

I haven't played online as I am too spineless to showcase my meager gaming skills in a public forum like that! :p

Cheers!

Chris
    HT Rig
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl - Anthem 2 SE
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    Polk Monitor 30 - HK DPR1005
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t
    Carver C2
    Technics SLD202
    Some Other Sony DVD/CDP
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2007
    Options
    bert26 wrote: »
    I haven't played online as I am too spineless to showcase my meager gaming skills in a public forum like that! :p

Don't worry, everyone sucks the first time or two playing online. Just stick with the pack and try to tag team an opponent. Don't try going at it alone for a while. As great as the campaign was, the online is way better.