New to car audio

devo
devo Posts: 2
edited April 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey all,

I recently got a 2003 Honda Accord and was not overly impressed with the stock audio system. I would like to upgrade to something with a better all around sound, but not neccesarily incredibly loud. I would also like to stray from cutting holes in the car and just stick with what's there. I am open to getting an amp and a sub for my trunk, just so long as it provides a good internal sound. Can anyone offer me any advice based on the aforementioned criteria?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Post edited by devo on

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2007
    You can actually have a very good sound system without it being incredibly loud. You will need to get an amplifier though. Are you looking into getting components as your front speakers or coaxials? Do you plan on running rear speakers? If you want a simple setup, one five channel amp may be all you need to run your whole system (front, rear speakers, and a sub). Also, how much money do you want to spend on this system? You have to keep in mind that you will have to purchase power and signal cables, as well as spend some money on a little bit of sound deadener.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    Youre in luck! I just recently installed my system in my 2007 Accord and the 03-07 are fairly identical interior wise. I can give you quite a bit of info on them.

Give me an idea of a budget and what exactly youre looking for and Ill throw some suggestions at ya.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited April 2007
    Sometimes it's better to overbuild your system to a degree. Having the potential to get loud doesn't mean you have to use it- sufficient amplifier power capable of "playing loud" will also give good transient response and better recreate the dynamics in your music when played at normal listening levels. No one says you have to turn the volume up to ear-damaging levels.

It sounds like you would rather have a system designed for Sound Quality, rather than one designed for Sound Pressure Level. There are some excellent speakers on the market that will sound great at normal listening levels- especially when used along with a single subwoofer, all properly amplified. After you give some thought to a budget you want to stay within, it would be easier to narrow down some equipment suggestions for you. You probably want to put the most emphasis on the speakers you use in your front stage, add a subwoofer, then ensure you have everything powered with sufficient watts (RMS rating) to make the most of the speakers you choose.
  • devo
    devo Posts: 2
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Being a complete and total noob when it comes to car audio, it's hard for me to set a price before knowing what a good setup usually costs. Basically, i'm willing to pay whatever i need to for a good sound, within reason of course.

Give me some ideas, you all seem to understand what i'm looking for. What's a reasonable price range when talking about these sort of things?

Thanks again for the replies, i really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out!
  • sophie
    sophie Posts: 511
    edited April 2007
    well my understanding is that if you went with the mmc6500's then you might not need a sub. so if you went that way 600-700, plus a head unit
    Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
    Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    Youll always need a sub. No matter how good a component system is, it wont get down to 30-40 Hz with any kind of authority. It just doesnt have the displacement.

The problem is that although your doors hold 6.5's from the factory, youre not going to get aftermarket 6.5's in there without cutting. But a 5.25 will fit just fine with a 1/2" spacer. Thats what Im running and it sounds just fine. I actually prefer 5.25's for midrange anway.

The best system you could come up with would be to use the SR5250's. Theyre about $750. These are the speakers Im running and I love them. I actually like them a little better than the 6500's.

If thats too pricey for you, try the MMC5250's. Theyll run ya about $300.

If you have a 4 door and want rear speakers, get a set of the MMC525's.

For the subs, the best and easiest way is one of these DB212-2. These things go for a little under $400 but DAMN they sound great!! They do get loud but theyre geared for SQ. I am really wanting one of these. Best thing about them is you just stick it in your trunk (and itll fit in the front most part of the trunk just fine), plug it in and go.

For amps, thats easy. A C400.4 and a C500.1.

Theyll both accept speaker level inputs so you can install them and keep your factory head unit.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2007
    Mac gave you good options, there are also quite a few more. I would also recommend getting out to your local shops to see what they have available.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited April 2007
    Mac gave you good options, there are also quite a few more. I would also recommend getting out to your local shops to see what they have available.

And hear what they have available first hand over taking someone's word- everybody has different taste and expectations. Granted, MacLeod and Blackmax have excellent taste ;) , but speakers come in a number of "flavours"...from bright sounding metal-dome tweeters, to subdued soft-domes (and pretty much the whole gamut in between, with various designs excelling at either midbass response, tweeter response, and sometimes even both). Your own taste may differ.

The trick to buying something you'll be satisfied with long-term is auditioning the brands (and different models within that brand) in person with a number of your favourite CDs in hand, CDs containing music which you know well and how it should sound exactly...preferably compared to the same tracks heard on a quality reference system. Listen to as many products as you can, and you'll be an informed consumer better able to choose the right product for you, as well as get a better idea of what it'll cost to get something you can be pleased with over what you'll settle for.

Keep in mind though- most demo boards aren't the ideal listening environment. Speakers installed in an actual vehicle will often sound drastically better than what they are capable of in a store demo board. Many speakers are engineered to take advantage of the "cabin gain" you'll get when installed in the vehicle to properly reproduce the intended frequency response for the set. The demo board is best used to find out if the speaker has anything in it's response that you find objectionable- better to find out at the dealer's showroom than finding out only after its installed in your car (and your wallet's been emptied).

As far as what's offered by Polk Audio specifically, the db series actually sounds pretty good considering the retail price point- I've paid more for product that didn't sound as good. The db series are the absolute best sounding coax or component set that Circuit City has to offer. The Momo series has better sound quality and tuning potential over the db series, as well as higher power handling/power requirements. The Signature Reference are competitively priced compared to many extremely expensive component sets, and offer really outstanding performance per dollar over the competition. They are smooth, with great detail and realism, and if you are the type to go high-end, you can keep them for successive systems should you upgrade your car...if you have to justify their higher selling price when shopping around. All of these speakers will sound their best using an external amplifier (with RMS rating in range of that suggested by Polk) over head unit power alone. Quality of install will also be a determining factor in whether whatever product you choose lives up to expectations.