Which tweeter is this?

Options
NeilGabriel
NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
edited April 2007 in Vintage Speakers
This picture might be too hard to tell. The listing has the usual Polk site specs and says tweeter is SL2500. It looks more like Peerless to me, but it may be impossible to tell. He is gonna send a better pic. They are on a Monitor 10B. Thanks, eagle eyes.
Post edited by NeilGabriel on

Comments

• jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Peerless is black cloth dome. It is very hard to tell by the picture. But noticing the logo on the cabinet itself, leads me to believe this m10 is a series 2. The sl2500 tweeter, or the sl2000
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • NeilGabriel
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I have 10Bs with logo on wood the same way and I have SL1000. I'll have to wait and get a better pic. Won't the SL2500 have polk audio on it?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,088
    edited April 2007
    Options
    99% sure that's a Peerless. It' doesn't appear to be a Series II speaker so not an sl2500. Probably best to get a better photo. It's not an sl2000 either. An sl1000 has a silver bezel.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • jakelm
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Just zoomed in. H9 I think your right.

But every 10b I have seen with the logo on the cabinet , had the sl1000 tweeter (silver with logo, peerless look alike)

But since its clearly not the sl1000, then it must be peerless.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Pull the tweet, and read the back. If there is no info on it please post a front and back set of pics.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • NeilGabriel
    edited April 2007
    Options
    The seller is not in my state and I am asking him for more pics before I drive 4 hours.
  • NeilGabriel
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Still waiting on new pic, but here is one with some more clarity. At least on my machine. Trying to decide if it is gonna be worth it to drive 3 hours for these. $200. They are described as 10 functionally and 7 cosmetically (not sure about their personality).
  • jakelm
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Price depends on taste, when vintage is concerned. But that is a peerless tweeter.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• heiney9
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Still waiting on new pic, but here is one with some more clarity. At least on my machine. Trying to decide if it is gonna be worth it to drive 3 hours for these. $200. They are described as 10 functionally and 7 cosmetically (not sure about their personality).

That's a lot of scratch. Certainly on the very upper end of what those normally go for. Then factor in the drive, etc and IMHO that's a bit too much especially since they aren't minty in cond.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • jakelm
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jakelm
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Looks like the cabinet is splitting at the bottom corners. Or is it just the pic?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2007
    Options
    If you want a good set of 10's....hold out. These are not what you would want from what I see in the pictures. You can do much better. If you look at the Bay for your speakers be sure and do a "search within ? miles". You can get better deals on that search...IMO....because there would be fewer people in your search looking for these. You'll be able to do a "must pick up" with a cheaper auction end. Should this not work...ask around. Fellow Polkies MAY...just may be able to help with a relay or have a set closer to you.

Shipping speakers sux. I've gotten sets of speakers that were listed "as new" or "mint" and when they arrive the stress from shipping has caused the magnets to become disengaged or coils to be damaged. Original boxes sometimes don't help at all. Lately I've had 4 claims with both major carriers. 2 from here on the Forum and 2 from the Bay. These were not all speaker purchases. I have to trust the Forum because of the caliber of upstanding people here. I still trust the Bay folks because of the feedback they have. I'm saying...just be careful.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • NeilGabriel
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, S-L. I passed on the ones from the Des Moines Craigslist. I am watching ones on ebay and there are a couple pair that look good, one in the fake rosewood (same as my 10Bs) and one in black. In looking at auiogon bluebook, the prices on the various 10s really varied...now people seem to toss them in a pile and price them all about the same. My 10B's went for about $150 more than other 10s and the 10A second series also seems to have gone for more. Was this difference in price a difference in quality?
  • heiney9
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, S-L. I passed on the ones from the Des Moines Craigslist. I am watching ones on ebay and there are a couple pair that look good, one in the fake rosewood (same as my 10Bs) and one in black. In looking at auiogon bluebook, the prices on the various 10s really varied...now people seem to toss them in a pile and price them all about the same. My 10B's went for about $150 more than other 10s and the 10A second series also seems to have gone for more. Was this difference in price a difference in quality?

It's all market driven. Whatever someone is willing to pay and if they want them bad enough and of course............condition, condition, condition. Personally I wouldn't pay more $150 for a pair in great condition unless they have the new RD0's and perhaps a x-over refresh then maybe on par for $200-225 or so. That's just me.

H9