Can I get a few opinions

dudeinaroom
dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
on this invoice/work order. I finally got around to making one(a customer wants one). Any thing you would change/add. Thanks for taking a look.

Thanks,
dude
Post edited by dudeinaroom on

Comments

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2007
    Looks good. The only thing I would do is in the description area add a coloum down the right side so you can write the description down on the left and the price on the right and then have the total on the bottom. If you can understand what i'm trying to say.
  • dudeinaroom
    edited April 2007
    I thought about it just wasn't sure. is this what you talking about
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    Get a P.O. Box.

You've got local pack/ship depot options, or USPS. Last I checked, something on the order of $45 for 6 months, ymmv.

Second, go to your local courthouse and file a DBA. 'Doing Business As'. It will cost you $10 +/-, and allow you to setup a business checking account - probably with no fees, depending on your area / bank.

THEN, you can have someone write a check to 'Dudeinroom Audio', and mail it to PO Box 666, Anytown USA, and keep your abode out of it.

Next, not to be a grammar **** - but spell check your invoice. You need at least 3 columns on your invoice. Part number (labor is a part number), Rate, and Extended (total). Grand total at the bottom. Setup is a breeze in Excel for a basic invoice.

It's easy, and the right start.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Fireman32
    edited April 2007
    Yea that's exactly what I was talking about
  • Fireman32
    edited April 2007
    All great idea's Russ
  • dudeinaroom
    edited April 2007
    I'm going to have the wife spell check it in the morning she fell asleep a while ago(man I'm gonna get, well unless I give it to her first) photoshop doesn't do the best job at it. For now I'm gonna leave my current info as I'm not to worried about it. I know about the dba and my van has big window sticker that say"The Hookup" with my old phone number. Just can't afford to do anything right now. I'm gonna have new phone number sticker made to cover up the old one($5 bucks from my ex-boss). I'm also gonna see how much he wants for 2-part ncr forms with my invoice printed on them. One step at a time until the ball gets rolling. At that point the Jezowski will be dropped off the name,a dba will be purchased, and a P.O. Box will be had. I live in a small town with a winter population of around 1000 and summer it's about 10X that. I have bigger cities with in an hour away. Just hoping to capitalize on the summer crowds here and 20 minutes up the road.

Thanks Guys,
    dude
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,434
    edited April 2007
    Agreed, get a P.O. Box or at least change Apartment 7 to Suite 7.

Get rid of all the lines, leave the main body open.

Put INVOICE at the top somewhere.

Change the customer info area. Put BILL TO: on the far left side, NO. on the right side and just below NO. have the DATE:

At the bottom list your terms, something like this.

TERMS: Invoices Due When Rendered *** Checks Payable To "Your Name"
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited April 2007
    1. A bolder type face for "Jezowski Sight and Sound SOlutions".

That's "Who you are", and should be emphasized.

2. Put your address/phone underneath "JS&SS" in a smaller type.

That's "Where you are".

3. With the exception of customer info (see F1's suggestion), kill the rest of
    the header text.

This is an invoice, not an ad for the yellow pages.

4. Have the table run wider and fill up more of the white space.

5. Have the wife get the hell up and make you some sammiches.
    You've earned it. ;)

Nice preliminary work/setup, good luck !
    Sal Palooza
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    solutions in the title is spelled wrong, apartment is spelled wrong, probably can put background as one word, antenna is spelled wrong, thats all the spelling mistakes i caught.

Other than whats already been mentioned, possibly a customer id number(this would be a number that you assign)? If you think you will have a large customer base, id highly recommend this so you can put your records in Access and everything will be easily accessible. I would def. have a place for an invoice number though.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited April 2007
    Check out MS Publisher there are several styles of invoices there. You can modify them to fit your uses. Also when I had my FFl, I had to have my business open for inspection by the ATF. I sure that this is not as strict but for Tax purposes if you designate one room or say your garage as your business address you can right it off on taxes.

When the ATF would show up they could only inspect the one area designated as the business, if you didn't do this they could go through the hole house.
  • dudeinaroom
    edited April 2007
    thanks for all the suggestions. Will take all into consideration. I love firefox spell check on the fly while typing in the forums is a plus. I dicked off way too much in school if you couldn't tell. Did awesome 1st-3rd grade then it all just got very very boring. I did not do well again until pothead year...um...I mean...senior year. Grew a few years ago and left the kid stuff behind, now I really need to do something with my life. The wife is looking into becoming a pharmacy tech. Myself, I just wanna play with stereos all day long. Wouldn't mind becoming a recording engineer either, or an electronic tech, or computer tech or.... man how the hell do you decide what you wanna do in life when you like and can go a little of every thing. Oh well, guess I just need to work for myself.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2007
    The only thing to do is SPELLCHECK, evenly space your services provided.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • dudeinaroom
    edited April 2007
    So is this any better
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited April 2007
    Yes.
    Sal Palooza
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,434
    edited April 2007
    Much better. I still think you should state your terms.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    I think the TERMS idea is good, it makes it clear when payment is expected...You could modify it for the job if needed...Such as:
    PAYMENT DUE UPON COMPLETION OF INSTALLATION
    50% DEPOSIT DUE AFTER ESTIMATION OF REPAIR FOR WORK TO BE COMPLETED
    FLAT FEE OF ____/HOUR FOR LABOR
    10% DEPOSIT REQUIRED UP FRONT AFTER ACCEPTANCE OF ESTIMATE
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2007
    Just buy Quicken Home and Business. It will do all the invoice generation, customer tracking, receivables, job tracking, etc. Don't try to do this with Excel.