Want to add midbass.. will it ruin my sound?

dohcmark8
dohcmark8 Posts: 229
edited April 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey all. I am looking to add a pair of midbass speakers. One in each front door. At the moment my setup is db525's in the dash and a db104 in the back.

Would adding midbass speakers in the door hurt my sound or help it? I just want more kick in the mids. Or would I be better off going for a bigger sub or maybe trying to fit bigger speakers in the dash?

I'm looking at the Image Dynamics mids.

Thanks.

edit: What if I were to add one mid and stick in the dash?
Post edited by dohcmark8 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    Dedicated midbass speakers can improve your sound quite a bit especially with only 5.25's in the dash where I doubt theyre making much midbass.

The downside will be needing an extra amp and theyre kind of a pain in the **** to get dialed in right. But once you get it tuned in, it does sound pretty good. I like 2 way setups myself but there are sometimes when you need a dedicated midbass speaker.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dohcmark8
    edited April 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Dedicated midbass speakers can improve your sound quite a bit especially with only 5.25's in the dash where I doubt theyre making much midbass.

The downside will be needing an extra amp and theyre kind of a pain in the **** to get dialed in right. But once you get it tuned in, it does sound pretty good. I like 2 way setups myself but there are sometimes when you need a dedicated midbass speaker.

Thanks.

Would it be feasible to use just one midbass and stick it in center on the ground in the front? This is a minivan so space is a plenty down there.

Let me show you where: http://zebsadiq.googlepages.com/DSC02009.jpg

Excuse the mess there, it was taken during install. But I want to stick a midbass where those CDs are.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    It would be better to stick em in the doors.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dohcmark8
    edited April 2007
    Problem with that is my doors don't have a cutout for the speakers. So if I wanted to put anything in the doors I would have to locate the bracket for the front speakers and get new door panels. Only vans with the Infinity system had the brackets so I dont even know if I can get the part.

Would one midbass be workable though is what I'm wondering.

If not.. would a component set like the MMC5250 or something offer more midbass than the db525? I recently installed Dynamat in my front doors (one layer of Dynamat and one layer of Dynaliner) and Hoodliner in the hood so so my mids have improved, but I just want more.
  • dohcmark8
    edited April 2007
    Nevermind. Got my answer.

Two mids in kickpanels. :-)