Internet vs. Mom and Pop Survey

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,571
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
This is more so a discussion. I am looking for very intellectual responses...

Ive been doing the sales thing for a year or so now. And a day after day occurance is someone that comes in the store with an internet price and ask me if I can beat it. After I make sure the item is exactly what they need and if they are ready to buy it today and if we can do that - will they take it. The funny part is our price is the same exact thing as the internet price, but I will knock off 5% out of good faith.

With this in mind, that most Mom and Pop stores are going to have the same price as a reputable online dealer -

What makes you want to not go to the mom and pop store to do your business? Is it the salesman there? Lack of products? higher prices?

Please discuss - Im just curious what people think.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2007
    The ONLY benefit I can see is a lower price online...but you just said your in-store prices are the same as prices from reputable online stores, so there goes that idea.

I hear a lot of people talking about how much more convenient it is to buy online versus going to a store. That one doesn't really affect me, but may play a role with other people.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2007
    Lower price, no sales tax (sometimes), shipped to my door.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I don't know how you can possibly claim that mom and pop stores will give you the same price as online. They literally can't in most cases. Big box stores can sometimes, but they WON'T, but a mom and pop? No way. The overhead of owning a small store is way more than the overhead of selling bulk with no storefront. You seem to be an exception, but I'm talking in general.

And convenience definitely helps. If you don't have to leave your desk, why would you?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited April 2007
    People are just getting lazy. If I can go out and buy it today I'd go to the store and pick it up. As far as your prices are, I wouldn't cut any thing. They are already getting a deal if you factor in shipping in most cases, and some on line retailers are charging tax if they have a store in your state. The only way I'd make a discount is if after taxes than it would cost them after taxes and shipping from the on-line store. If they are not going to buy after that and you need to make the sale then I could see doing it.
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited April 2007
    I think there is often an intimidation factor for some in regards to in store. If someone doesn't know what they want or what is even available to them consumers may not want to deal with a know it all salesperson.

I know with myself I am always distrusting of what some salesperson has to say to me. There may be some item that they are trying to push out the door to get rid of and/or meet some quota instead of showing me some of my options and letting me make up my own mind.

I had one experience locally when I was trying to build my recent system in which I went to the shop because what I had wasn't to my liking and they pushed something on to me that wasn't any better. They really promoted these products and didn't set anything else up so that I could make up my own mind. I didn't like that and have had a mistrust for that place since. Unfortunately, when I decide to get the tube rectified power supply for the Modwright they are the local authorized dealer. I am not sure if I am going to go through them or not.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2007
    As long as the prices are the same I'd rather buy from a local retailer, be it part of a franchise or a mom and pop store, for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I try to support local businesses because of the positive impact on the local economy. I figure, and it may be flawed, that the more money spent locally, the more tax revenue collected. More local businesses mean more local jobs. More jobs may mean more people in my area, but the schools and infrastructure in general will have more money available to be spent on maintenance and upgrading. These will raise the value of the property in my area, including my house. So, in theory, if everybody in my neighborhood spent every dime in local businesses, I'd live in a utopia in a house worth 3 times what I paid. So I'm holding on to that.
    I would also like to talk to someone face to face about what I'm buying. Feel that I get better info that way, and can ask questions as they pop into my head. I also like the opportunity to read the salesperson when talking face to face. To go along with that thought, I like to have someone local I can go back to if I have a problem or a question.

Things that may dissuade me from buying locally are lack of selection and bad/uninformed salespeople. A bad sales person will run me out of a store quicker then anything.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited April 2007
    We only have one audio store left here. And they DO NOT negotiate prices. They want full retail + tax. To top it off, half the time they do not have the item you want in stock. If they have a demo unit, they will not even order one for you, you have to take the demo, which they ALWAYS claim they just put out a day or two before!!! Used gear at full retail price, what a bargain.:rolleyes:

Last time I called to ask if they handle Rotel, they told me sure, come on down. Of course he never mentioned that there was not one single piece of Rotel gear in stock. I don't like my time wasted like that.

I wouldn't be adverse to buying in a shop, used to do it all the time. It's just not possible here anymore.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited April 2007
    strider wrote: »
    A bad sales person will run me out of a store quicker then anything.

Amen to that bro!!
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited April 2007

Ive been doing the sales thing for a year or so now. And a day after day occurance is someone that comes in the store with an internet price and ask me if I can beat it. After I make sure the item is exactly what they need and if they are ready to buy it today and if we can do that - will they take it. The funny part is our price is the same exact thing as the internet price, but I will knock off 5% out of good faith.

With this in mind, that most Mom and Pop stores are going to have the same price as a reputable online dealer -

What makes you want to not go to the mom and pop store to do your business? Is it the salesman there? Lack of products? higher prices?

Please discuss - Im just curious what people think.

I always like to go to local mom and pop stores to buy things, whether it be computers, A/V equipment, or other electronics. I believe in supporting good local businesses, and believe that one who supports these businesses will receive many benefits over online dealers. When I shop at my local hi-fi store, I get excellent service, support, and also a good price. In fact most hi-fi stores in my area try to match internet prices on A/V gear.

But I really do it for the support - most hi-fi stores I have bought things from have given me free cables, technical support, and help me out if I ever have any problem (scheduled repair service when my TV broke, etc.)
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2007
    Convenience. Hell, I've even purchased breakfast cereal on-line.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2007

You messed up right there...:p
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • VR3
    edited April 2007
    Well - Im not going to reply to responses...

But I will chime in with an example...

There is a guy that comes in time to time - always spends about an hour in the store. We help him fairly well and attend to him and his questions.

He talks about us beating prices, we confirm and such.

So one day he calls and says "I've bought a Behringer amp and it has a problem." I knew immediately who the guy was, he has a very distinguishable voice. So I ask, well who did you buy the amp from? He says "Muscians Friend." Im like, ok - so what is wrong with the amp? he says "Well I blew the woofer." So I ask him, so why dont you call Muscians Friend to help you?" He says - well, I did and they said to call my local dealer.

So from that point, I clearly say "Sir, I understand we are the local dealer, and you have been in our store on many ocasions. And we carry this amp. Our policy for our customers is we will give you a brand new amp if yours is messed up. That is Behringers policy. And while I do have your amp on the floor, I will not give you a replacement off the floor. It will take 2-3 weeks for one to get you, as I will have to order another one."

The guys then says "So, you guys dont take care of people that buy from somewhere else or what?" I wanted to say "Well sir, we order the full line of Behringer amps just about every month, and you come in here about once a month if not more - and in that time, you have purchased no more than $50.00 here and I am not going to remove a product that we could sell at this very moment to give you because Muscians Friend will not help you out. Not only would I have given you the amp at Muscians Friend price, knowing you are a price conscious buyer - I would of knocked off 5% for good nature."

Of course I didn't say that - I clearly said, "sir that is not the case, we generally like to help anyone and everybody - but unfortunately that is a hot selling amp and I can not remove it from the floor. I can however order you a new one."

Convenience is not always convenient. I will match any price - as long as its reasonable.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2007
    I often find salesmen too agressive, sure its ok to ask me if I need help but if I say "Hey Im ok, just looking around", theres no need to stick around and observe what I'm looking at etc. I agreed sometimes sales guy haggle too much. On another note, internet prices are just way cheaper than what I find in most stores, so again saving coin is another reason. If you do price matching plus you give additional discount I would love to buy from a store like yours. Normal circumstances though, you dont find many stores that offer what you do. Just my take.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2007
    Hey Vr3MxStyler2k3 I didnt know you owned an Audio Business, PM sent.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • VR3
    edited April 2007
    To comment on the "Just Looking Around"

I would have to say 70% of my sales are to people just looking around. With that in mind, that is why salesman will follow you around and see just what you are looking at.

Because I dont even step foot in a store unless I know what I am looking for and I am definitely just looking around - at what I want to buy.

But Im also the type of person that will come in and say" Hi, my name is Trey - I am here to look around and I wanted to let you know ahead of time I am not going to buy anything today."

But 99.99% of customers dont do that - if not 100%. And for a salesman its a tug-of-war battle to get the answers and alot of time people give in. And you dont have to be aggressive about it either. Just come up with a conversation and most of the time the customer breaks down into a "Well, I am looking for xxxxx and ya know Ive tired this and this" - its amazing.

So give the salesman a break. Pushy is pushy - but the following on the just looking comment is understandable.