200sx s14a Posts: 1
edited April 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi guys,

My cars stereo setup consists of:

H/U: Pioneer DEH-P9850BT
Amp: Polk Momo c400.4
Speakers: Polk Momo MMC6500 6.5" Component Speakers
Subwoofer: Polk Momo MM 2124 12" Sub

These are intalled into a s14a 200sx. Doors and boot are sound deadened with dynamat. Component speakers are fixed to mdf before the doors and sub is in a ported box. Speakers and single sub are connected to the c400.4 amp.

Ok, as i am a novice to all the terminology and diferent settings, i am lost as to how to set up the amp and headunit. What settings should the knobs/buttons be on?
eg:
slope 12 db or 24 db?
crossover settings x1 or x10?
Freq 200/2k, 350/3.5k? 50/500k? 500/5k?
LP/HP?
Pre EQ on or off?
input controls low/high? g
gain? min or max?

also what settings should i set on the head unit? i am trying to acheive big booming bass.

THanks in advance!
Post edited by 200sx s14a on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    I assume the 400.4 is the only amp youre running with the front channels running the MMC6500's and the rear channels bridged to run the sub. If thats the case, youre not going to get big booming bass. There just isnt enough power. 200 watts just aint enough. Now if you were to buy a C500.1 and a second MM2124, then you could have some pretty serious output.

For definitions, a crossover cuts off an output at a certain frequency. Say you dont want your tweeters to be playing midrange, so youd cut them off at around 4000 Hz. Now the slope is how sharply these frequencies are cut off. A crossover works not by chopping off the output after a point but rather by turning down the volme by a certain amount of db per octave. So the steeper the slope, the sharper the cutoff of the frequencies on the other side of your crossover point. So take the 4000 figure, a 12 db slope would mean that 2000 Hz would be 12 db quieter, then 1000 Hz for another 12 db then 500 Hz and so on.

As for the settings Ill start out with the gain. Disconnect the sub and turn the gain all the way down. Now turn the volume on the CD player about 3/4 of the way up. Now put in a CD that best represents the type of music youll most be listening to. Now turn up the gain slowly til you hear the speakers start to distort. Once they distort, back the gain back down til the distortion goes away. Youre done. Now bring up the sub's gain until it blends well with the front but DO NOT go over the half way point.

For the rear channels, put the low pass filter on and set it for 80 Hz to start off. For the front channels, set the high pass filter to on and set it for 50 Hz. From here you can tinker with them until you find a setting you like but this is a good starting point. Youll use the x1 setting to adjust this.

Keep the Pre-Eq off. This is for when youre running a set of tweeters off the front channels and mids off the rear. Its an automatic crossover setting.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D