mmats D200HC

powerlord
powerlord Posts: 310
edited May 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Anybody have any experience with these?I've had a trade offered and I've read very good reviews for them but never had hands on,I was always into US amps.
LG 50 in. Plasma
Eosone setup
Marantz SR-18U
HK AVR-7200

My Music
http://members.soundclick.com/powerlord66
Post edited by powerlord on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2007
    If you don't know what it is, then you'll never respect it.

Newer technology is far more powerful and likely 5% more efficient.

However as one of the first class D's, the Mmats high current amps were animals.

Now, however, it is an amp for someone who is a collector of sorts. The kind of guy who would drive around a classic car... not necessarily because it's the best, but because it's significant and still good.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • powerlord
    edited April 2007
    I didn't know what a kicker zr1000 was before I messed with it and learned to respect it!Same with the US amps 2000,or the Crown 6000,and so on.Newer technology hasn't come close to the quality of some of the older amps,they just use cheaper parts,I'll do older Orion HCCA or PPI anyday of the week,who cares if they aren't as efficient,they are clean and powerful,alot of todays amps are candy **** low quality built for the vast consumer market,older kicker,RF,alpine, were the shizz.Take a ZR1000 and put it next to KX1200.1,in the same setup,I've done this.For some reason the older ZR runs cooler and produces cleaner bass.While the 1200.1 is rated at more power.
    LG 50 in. Plasma
    Eosone setup
    Marantz SR-18U
    HK AVR-7200

My Music
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2007
    i half agree, half disagree... much new tech is trash, you've got that right. but, there is also a good portion of new tech that is truly an improvement over the stuff of yesteryear. i imagine it will be like that until the end of time.

far as the mmats... compared to say, even a midgrade product like the alpine MRD-1000 of 2 or 3 years ago, the mmats is about equal to it. the only reason anyone would honestly go with it (considering its physically old, has no warranty anymore, has good but not mind blowing specs) is some sentimental attachment to it --- or if its cheap as hell.
  • powerlord
    edited April 2007
    Hey PBD remember the Alpine MRV-1507? Now that was an underrated powerhouse!And boy did it sound good.I ran 4 kicker xpl 15's off one and they were so clean and loud!
    LG 50 in. Plasma
    Eosone setup
    Marantz SR-18U
    HK AVR-7200

My Music
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2007
    that thing was a monster... it was someting like 3 feet long.
  • powerlord
    edited April 2007
    I have a friend that is running an old Coustic amp and it is right at 4 ft. long,we can't find out any info on it,he tells everyone it does 6000 rms.I kinda doubt that.I do know they were 4 amps in one though.
    LG 50 in. Plasma
    Eosone setup
    Marantz SR-18U
    HK AVR-7200

My Music
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2007
    got a model number? i have some buddies at Mitek that I may be able to get some info from.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited May 2007
    mmmmmmmm 1507. *sigh*

Kicker ZR... the last of their good sounding amps.

Let's go really old. Anyone remember the old Lanzar Opti50? TANK!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2007
    Lanzar ... the best example of good gone bad.