I finally saw the new Tundra in person

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,528
edited April 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
And man... what a beast. I love the way this new truck looks. It looks absolutely MEAN.

Looks like an incredibly solid build and an amazingly smooth ride from my seat going down the road.

*DROOL*
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited April 2007
    I know you want one...badly.

Don't worry, eventually you will save up enough for it and get one, I know you want to achieve your long term goal but this takes time.

Meanwhile, I don't even have a car (or truck) for that matter, but if I'm lucky I will be able to get a used car...
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I really love the way Dodge Rams look too. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Yeah, I really love the way Dodge Rams look too. ;)

Same here, but with the new Chevys:D
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2007
    But I was trying to be sarcastic. The new Tundras look a LOT like the Rams.

But Ford copied the Ram back in 98, Toyota might as well too.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2007
    When did the Tundra become a "beast"? I don't think I've ever heard of a Toyota truck of any kind referred to as a "beast". Maybe mean but that was usually the old 4x4 Hiluxes with the SR5 package and 22R engine that were jacked up on big tires and stuff. None of them were "beasts" though. Fords, Chevies and Dodges, yeah but you can get massive trucks from those three with equally massive engines and capabilities that exceed what anything from Europe or Japan have to offer. Wow, "beast" huh? That's a new one on me!

I guess it looks mean. To me though, it looks like a chintzy cross between a Dodge Ram and a Ford F-150. Toyota did get sued by Ford when they first brought out the Tundra as the T150 because it was very difficult to tell them apart and Ford felt that calling it a T150 came a tad too close to trademark infringement for comfort. Ford won IIRC because shortly after that, it was changed to the Tundra. The T150 replaced the T100 which was a smaller vehicle. Funny thing was, Toyota filed a retaliatory lawsuit over the Lincoln LS because it was initially supposed to be called the LS6 or LS8 and Toyota felt it was too similar to the Lexus LS. Toyota lost that one too.

Eh, to each his own I guess. I'm still a Ford fan but those new Chevies are nice too. If I was in the market for a new truck, I'd consider a Silverado as well as an F-150. I don't think Toyota would make my list. I mean, if I wanted something that looked like a Ford or a Dodge but didn't measure up, I'd consider Toyota.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    But Ford copied the Ram back in 98, Toyota might as well too.

Wait, what? The Ram looks like a Ford B700 school bus or the same chassis used for heavy duty, short wheel base commercial trucks like what the phone company uses or medium sized dump trucks and such.

6083.jpg

For comparison an older Dodge:

250px-Truck09.jpg

and a newer Dodge Ram:

250px-2005_Dodge_Ram_Rumble_Bee.jpg

and the newest Dodge Ram:

250px-06-07_Dodge_Ram_1500.jpg

If you are referring to the SuperDuty, that design was based off of Ford's heavy duty commercial chassis which they have had around for years. They even stated in the initial marketing for the SuperDuty that the styling was meant to bridge the gap between the F-150 and thier large, commercial chassis trucks. Currently that would be the F-650 chassis.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    I'm sure I'm way off base here, but I thought the Ram body style from ~94-~99 was actually bought from GM? Thought I remember hearing that somewhere.

I think the new Tundras look pretty nice. A million times better than the ones from a few years ago. I agree they do look eerily similar though. I'm curious to see some reviews of its 6-speed auto though. Seems like all the automakers are making great looking trucks now and seems like theres a truck for everyone who has the use for one now.

I'm just glad Chevy has something other than those hideous looking headlights they had from 03-07, main reason why I have a GMC now...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    When did the Tundra become a "beast"? I don't think I've ever heard of a Toyota truck of any kind referred to as a "beast". Maybe mean but that was usually the old 4x4 Hiluxes with the SR5 package and 22R engine that were jacked up on big tires and stuff. None of them were "beasts" though. Fords, Chevies and Dodges, yeah but you can get massive trucks from those three with equally massive engines and capabilities that exceed what anything from Europe or Japan have to offer. Wow, "beast" huh? That's a new one on me!

I guess it looks mean. To me though, it looks like a chintzy cross between a Dodge Ram and a Ford F-150. Toyota did get sued by Ford when they first brought out the Tundra as the T150 because it was very difficult to tell them apart and Ford felt that calling it a T150 came a tad too close to trademark infringement for comfort. Ford won IIRC because shortly after that, it was changed to the Tundra. The T150 replaced the T100 which was a smaller vehicle. Funny thing was, Toyota filed a retaliatory lawsuit over the Lincoln LS because it was initially supposed to be called the LS6 or LS8 and Toyota felt it was too similar to the Lexus LS. Toyota lost that one too.

Eh, to each his own I guess. I'm still a Ford fan but those new Chevies are nice too. If I was in the market for a new truck, I'd consider a Silverado as well as an F-150. I don't think Toyota would make my list. I mean, if I wanted something that looked like a Ford or a Dodge but didn't measure up, I'd consider Toyota.

Thanks for the update Napolean.

I don't recall Trey asking for your input but, I guess it's only you that gets to define the parameters of his threads.

I suspect that I'm not alone in thinking I couldn't give a shiite less about what you would be in the market for nor do I think did anyone ask.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2007
    All kidding aside, I do think the new Tundra is a hoss! It does look very good, has the top notch Toyota build quality and its got a powerhouse engine. Im glad to see Toyota finally making a REAL full size truck and from what Ive read, it seems to raise the bar a bit on pickups. Hopefully it will spur GM, Ford and Dodge to improve on their designs. Ya gotta love competition!

It is one mean looking truck.

photo_5.jpg

• VR3
    edited April 2007
    Oh dude, and man - it is massive. For me - in the next few years it will come down to the Nissan Titan and the Tundra. However the Tundra is by far my favorite....

*drooool*
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    See, the Nissan does nothing for me.

Eh, I'm just hoping to get another 100K out of my truck..

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    edited April 2007
    9848.jpg

tundra3.jpg

2007_toyota_tundra_truck_interior.jpg
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2007
    The Titan doesnt really lift my skirt either. To me it just looks like a really big Frontier and not a full size truck like a Ram.

I think in GM, Ford and Dodge will rise to the challenge. Their truck lines are the main thing keeping them afloat right now. If they could get their quality up to snuff, theyd be on. But then the Toyota and Nissans are made in America and the GM, Ford and Dodge are made in Mexico. Go figure.

• VR3
    edited April 2007
    My Mom drives a 97 Corolla... has 175,000 miles on it...

She doesnt change the oil regularly... infact the last oil change she did - she had to sign a paper that said she knew there was no oil on the dip stick...

The last time she changed the air filter was when I did it a year ago (160,000 miles later)
    I mean we are talking zero maintence...

The car runs perfect, thing will probally do 250,000 miles with zero care....

Where as my truck needs constant care and will probally die around 200,000ish... and I baby the crap out of it...
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2007
    LOL! My sis-in-law has a Toyota Solara. She drives the crap out of it for work and it has over 180,000 miles on it. All original and never had a problem.

I asked where she gets it serviced - she said at whatever quick oil change joint she happens to be driving by whenever she thinks about it!

Same with Hondas. Thats why I bought one. Their legendary build quality. It means more to me than any other characteristic of a car. More than engine power, looks, price or what have you. I spent many years in hell driving used POS cars that were constantly breaking down and leaving me stranded. I still remember the feeling of going somewhere and being afraid I wouldnt make it back.

• VR3
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, dont get me wrong - my F150 for a 16 year old truck has been virtually problem free.

Only major problem I had was the radiator - it was out when I got the truck. We put stop leak in it, it lasted a year after that and it eventually corroded all the way out. So I think in REPAIRS Ive put about 400 bucks in it total in the past year and 2-3 months... which to me isnt to bad.

Now, I change the oil every 2,500-3,000 miles. And at that point the oil is almost non existent.... lol

So, while its a good truck - Id like to drive it another 3-4 years hopefully with all original stuff... lol

But Toyota is definitely a 300,000 mile truck. - If not longer, seems like.
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    Trey,

Wow - your ford is a reliable truck. I mean, no problems except the radiator and it's a '91? Wow.

Tell your mom to change the oil at 2200-3000 mile intervals. That's brutal on the car if you don't change it at all.

Was that the same car you had back in '05? I think you had a Honda or Toyota back then but don't remember.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2007
    I agree the new Tundra looks better than the previous one, but I still don't quite like it.

However, I also don't like Chevy's new offerings. When chevy changed their trucks for '03, I was horrified at the front end, especially after the previous generation looked so good. However, I'm just as horrified now. I think the new Chevies look terrible! I think I'd almost take an '03 over a new one.

The new Ram? Not bad. However, I do prefer the previous generation's styling. The differences aren't that great, so I can live with the new one, but I really do prefer the headlights on the previous generation.

Ford? They typically always seem to look pretty good. Still not a big Ford guy, but I can't poke too much fun at them. However, I did see a new base model F250 or F350 the other day...with the all black plastic grill...looked horrible!!
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • VR3
    edited April 2007
    I like Fords styling until you get to the rear of the truck...

It looks like they didnt finish it.

A small oval... and a small rectangle piece of chrome that say F150??? No type of styling what-so-ever...

I find the rear of my truck looks very "complete" so to speak...
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Was that the same car you had back in '05? I think you had a Honda or Toyota back then but don't remember.
    His sister drives a Honda. I'm pretty sure Trey's never had a Honda or Toyota; think this Ford's his first. But I'm not 100% sure.

I've unfortunately yet to get used to constantly checking the sticker in the window for the oil change, and I went 8700 miles on my last oil change. :eek: On my 1995 Cherokee...that I dog everytime I get in. As you can imagine, it was quite low when I finally realized I needed to change it.

That 4.0's a real toughie, that's for sure. And thank goodness.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    His sister drives a Honda. I'm pretty sure Trey's never had a Honda or Toyota; think this Ford's his first. But I'm not 100% sure.

I was always under the impression Trey had a Toyota because when he demoed his system to me he had a Toyota back then. But I might be wrong.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• VR3
    edited April 2007
    My sister has gone through a couple cars...

95 Honda Civic (Absolute dogmess)
    an 02 (I think) VW Jetta (Another piece of dogmess)
    And now, just in the past few days an 07 Nissan Sentra or something - shall see, looks pretty solid...

My Mom for the past... 9 or so years has drove the Yoder!

I on the other hand have drove my trusty ol 91 F150!

Today I waxed, armor-alled and polished the exterior in my spare time...

In the morning I will do the windows and wipe down the interior to get me by until I can armor all the interior Sunday. Will do the regular weekly maintence under the hood - and will probally clean up the engine bay and get rid of all that nasty pollen!
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2007
    "has drove"..."has drove"..."have drove"...

"Have driven"...

Got grammar?

:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    Trey,

I would not put the Nissan Titan in the same league as the Tundra. I've had bad experiences with Nissan - the Maxima we have is babied, 2500 mile oil changes, everything replaced before due, all preventive maint. done, and still it's nothing but problems.

It's only got some 40,000 miles (only a few years old) and it's had problems since the day we got it off the dealer lot...seriously.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• VR3
    edited April 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    "has drove"..."has drove"..."have drove"...

"Have driven"...

Got grammar?

:D

Eff you.

My Dad has owned several Nissan trucks. No notable problems.

I wouldnt put Trucks and cars in the same league. Most trucks are grossly overbuilt for what most people use them for...
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    Interesting. The Nissan Maxima we have is plagued with reliability issues. In a few years I might buy the car from my father, but I'd rather have a $500 Buick or Oldsmobile than the Maxima...too many problems!

So you're saying that the Nissan Trucks are better than their cars? I've never had any experience with a Nissan or Toyota truck though. So I don't know any better about trucks.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    I know a few guy that love their Titans, and I can see why....They are a real quality truck for the money...The new Tundra is a mean looking truck, I think Toyota created a winner this time...I am kind of interested in seeing the 3/4 ton Titan when that comes out...I am not really a truck guy, but if I am going to get that low of gas mileage, I am going with a diesel....At least then I can tow anything I damn well please......