Tri-State Polkie Get Together...

pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
Well, it was another great day here in South Jersey. We had three states represented. Dave (Fireman32) from North Jersey, Anthony (Amulford) South Jersey, Joe (hearingimpaired) Delaware & Jesse (F1nut) Maryland all at my place - Phil (pearsall001) in Magnolia, NJ. What a great bunch of guys. We had a blast, sitting on the deck in this gorgeous weather hoisting a few cold one's & shooting the BS. Listening to some great tunes on my rig downstairs. Jesse was very interested to hear my AAD 2001 monitors because he is looking to buy a pair. I think he was very pleased with their performance to say the least. Swapping gear stories & tech know how just made the hours fly bye. Jesse even brought his modded Jolida CDP which we hooked up & gave her a spin, she did not disappoint, the Jolida sounded absolutely marvelous. Then we took a break & chowed down on some nice hot roast beef sandwiches & fixins. Ready for round two. Man, we listend to a lot of different music selections & every one just sounded superb. We can't wait till we book another date. Hopefully next time Jstas (John), MSALLA (Michael), & ohskigod (Lou) can make it. Oh, and Lou I can't repeat the verbal abuse you got from the boys for wimping out. LOL!!!! Till next time - "The Tri-State Boys"

Cheers,
Phil, Joe, Dave, Anthony, Jesse
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
Post edited by pearsall001 on

Comments

• pearsall001
    edited April 2007
    Billy (LibertyC), OOPS!!! I apoligize for leaving your name out. You are one of the "Tri-State Boys" or maybe we should be called "The Quad State Boys" since you're from Pennsy.

Phil
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    Keep it up guys, sounds like a GREAT time. I was chatting it up with Anthony on his drive out there.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    Awesome, that's the beauty of the PolkNation.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited April 2007
    Oh, and Lou I can't repeat the verbal abuse you got from the boys for wimping out. LOL!!!! Till next time - "The Tri-State Boys"

Cheers,
    Phil, Joe, Dave, Anthony, Jesse

yeah yeah, dicks!!!!!...:p
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited April 2007
    Glad everyone had a great time. It will be great to participate in the Oct. session. Rock on Guys.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited April 2007
    Three cheers! I hope you guys had a grand time. And where was Jersey Grand????
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    yeah yeah, dicks!!!!!...:p

Uh OHHHHHHH sour grapes!!! :D:p:p
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Awesome day. . . Jesse is a stand up guy. We had a blast at Phil's and Jesse left my house at 2:00 AM. We were listening to a few CDs on the den den den!!!! Oppo/Timbre DAC and then we spun some vinyl. . . I heard words come out of Jesse mouth just before he left that I never thought I would hear uttered from his lips, "I may have to get back into vinyl!" :eek:

Yep, he said that, no ****:D . . . I guess the new upgraded VPI passed the SACD King's test!!!!:cool:

I really can't wait till we all get together again. . . Antny's lookin’ good again and no I haven't gone over to the other side. . . Antny's just a stand up dude and I hate to see him hurting!!!

BILLY WTF!!! Come on dude all work and no play make you do what Jack did in the Shinning!!!!

Phil you system never sounded so sweet. I still can't get over how those AADs just disappear into nothing but the music. By the way you ain't bullshittin' me you've done some tweaking and cable upgrades cause you friggin digital rig didn't sound this sweat and analogy the last time I was there so give it up Bro or else I'm gonna have to tear your rig down and find out for myself what you did!!!:eek: :p LOL

By the way that big horse of a dog bit me again!!! What the hell do I look like to him a big fat friggin soup bone????:rolleyes:
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2007
    By the way that big horse of a dog bit me again!!! What the hell do I look like to him a big fat friggin soup bone????:rolleyes:

His nose knows what you ate for dinner and wants some. :p
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Polk65 wrote: »
    His nose knows what you ate for dinner and wants some. :p

Actually he couldn't smell anything cause he was passing gas the whole time we were down stairs!!!:eek:
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2007
    I have to say I had a great time. Phil it was great meeting you and you were a great host. Anthony and Jesse and Joe it was great seeing you guys again. The AAD's simply blew me away. I never heard a set of speakers that if you move you position in the room that it sounded like you moved to the side of the stage, that blew me away. I stopped at Lou's on my way home and busted his chops and told him what a great time he missed. We have to do these meets more often because october is too far away. You guys are always welcome to come up here and cram into my small apartment for a listen anytime.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited April 2007
    That had to be the biggest damn dog I've ever seen. Joe tells me as we're walking up to Phil's door that he bit him the last time. Say what!?! Eff this, you're going to the door first, Joe. Turns out he's a 150lb lap dog (unless you're Joe) with a tail that'll bruise you and knock over anything it comes in contact with. Too funny.

Anyway, I got in about 3:30, easy cruise home. I had a great time and can't thank Phil and his lovely wife enough for sharing their home with a bunch of crazy ****'s. Always a pleasure to see Anthony and Dave as well as meet Joe for the first time. Both Phil and Joe have very nice rigs and I enjoyed both. The AAD 2001's are impressive and Joe's vinyl set up is too.

More later...
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Glad to see eveyone's home safe and sound!
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited April 2007
    What a good time. Phil was an excellent host, of course. And it's always good to see you guys.

Those AAD's are sweet. Now I am one of those bigger is better crowd, but you really have to hear these to appreciate them. Just a DAMN good monitor. Fine looking, too.

Jesse's Top fuel Jolida... We A/B'd it against Phil's Van Alstine DAC. It came down to nit picking... There were subtle differences, but man you REALLY had to listen for them.

We do need to do this more often. It's just a great time...
  • pearsall001
    edited April 2007
    Awesome day. . . Jesse is a stand up guy. We had a blast at Phil's and Jesse left my house at 2:00 AM. We were listening to a few CDs on the den den den!!!! Oppo/Timbre DAC and then we spun some vinyl. . . I heard words come out of Jesse mouth just before he left that I never thought I would hear uttered from his lips, "I may have to get back into vinyl!" :eek:

Yep, he said that, no ****:D . . . I guess the new upgraded VPI passed the SACD King's test!!!!:cool:

I really can't wait till we all get together again. . . Antny's lookin’ good again and no I haven't gone over to the other side. . . Antny's just a stand up dude and I hate to see him hurting!!!

BILLY WTF!!! Come on dude all work and no play make you do what Jack did in the Shinning!!!!

Phil you system never sounded so sweet. I still can't get over how those AADs just disappear into nothing but the music. By the way you ain't bullshittin' me you've done some tweaking and cable upgrades cause you friggin digital rig didn't sound this sweat and analogy the last time I was there so give it up Bro or else I'm gonna have to tear your rig down and find out for myself what you did!!!:eek: :p LOL

How many times do I have to tell you to leave his dog bowl alone LOL!!!:p I guess you forgot that I told you I had plenty of food for all the guys.

Now, come on Joe, you know that a mad tweaker never gives up his secrets. Keep guessing, I'll tell you if you're close.

Glad all you guys made it home safe & sound. It was a blast!!!:D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited April 2007
    Additional thoughts.....

The AAD 2001's should be on your list if you're in the market for great sounding monitors that put out more sound than their size says they should and don't require a sub for music either. I'm sure the HT crowd will still want their sub so they can show all their friends the fish tank scene from Finding Nemo, but I digress. Even though the AAD's use a metal dome tweeter I found them to be free of the usual metal edge, very smooth, open and airy. Overall just a pleasant speaker with a palpable presentation. They may just end up as my next office rig speakers.

I brought the Jolida along for Joe to hear in his set up, but we ended up hooking it up at Phil's instead. The comparision was interesting as both had a slighty different sound with the Jolida being somewhat forward and the transport/DAC combo with a bit of air. After switching the input impedance switch on the MIT IC's to high (Jolida to CJ pre) I thought the Jolida sounded closer to what I'm use to, a little more laid back. The transport/DAC combo definitely had more detail at the top. I think they were the same or very close in bass response.

After the day at Phil's, I went back to Joe's to hang out and hear his set up. Joe has a very nice vinyl rig going on, much better than the digital end. He'll have to work on that ;). Other than that one LP, I enjoyed what I heard. In fact, I think that was the best vinyl rig I've heard yet. For those of you that don't know it, Joe invented a record clamping device called, The Clamp. Let me tell you it is one impressive, extremely effective device. It appears to be simple in design, but once you study it and hear Joe explain how it came to be, you quickly realize there's nothing simple about it. Bravo!

After spending the afternoon listening to SACD's here at home, I think the vinyl rig idea is going to have to wait. :)

Phil and Joe, thanks again for your hospitality. I look forward to the next time.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    Additional thoughts.....

The AAD 2001's should be on your list if you're in the market for great sounding monitors that put out more sound than their size says they should and don't require a sub for music either. I'm sure the HT crowd will still want their sub so they can show all their friends the fish tank scene from Finding Nemo, but I digress. Even though the AAD's use a metal dome tweeter I found them to be free of the usual metal edge, very smooth, open and airy. Overall just a pleasant speaker with a palpable presentation. They may just end up as my next office rig speakers.

I brought the Jolida along for Joe to hear in his set up, but we ended up hooking it up at Phil's instead. The comparision was interesting as both had a slighty different sound with the Jolida being somewhat forward and the transport/DAC combo with a bit of air. After switching the input impedance switch on the MIT IC's to high (Jolida to CJ pre) I thought the Jolida sounded closer to what I'm use to, a little more laid back. The transport/DAC combo definitely had more detail at the top. I think they were the same or very close in bass response.

After the day at Phil's, I went back to Joe's to hang out and hear his set up. Joe has a very nice vinyl rig going on, much better than the digital end. He'll have to work on that ;). Other than that one LP, I enjoyed what I heard. In fact, I think that was the best vinyl rig I've heard yet. For those of you that don't know it, Joe invented a record clamping device called, The Clamp. Let me tell you it is one impressive, extremely effective device. It appears to be simple in design, but once you study it and hear Joe explain how it came to be, you quickly realize there's nothing simple about it. Bravo!

After spending the afternoon listening to SACD's here at home, I think the vinyl rig idea is going to have to wait. :)

Phil and Joe, thanks again for your hospitality. I look forward to the next time.

I was listening to vinyl all day Jesse and I wished I had played the two Police LPs, Ghost in the Machine and Zenyatta Moondatta. . . talk about that deep extended bass grooowwwwllll and slam. . . the snare drum shots just made me take short quick breaths. It is simply awesome. I also played some Franz Listz version of Faust it is a breathtaking piece. Next time Bro. Thanks for the kind words.
  • Fireman32
    edited April 2007
    For those of you that don't know it, Joe invented a record clamping device called, The Clamp. Let me tell you it is one impressive, extremely effective device. It appears to be simple in design, but once you study it and hear Joe explain how it came to be, you quickly realize there's nothing simple about it. Bravo!

Jesse as soon as I tried the clamp out on my rig I was writing him a check for one. It is amazing.
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    By the way, I really liked the way the Jolida sounded. If it had SACD functionality too I would be haggling a price out of ya Jess. Also you made a big time believer out of the MIT products. I need to keep my eyes peeled on the gon & epay for some. It seems that now is a good time to buy cause no one is really buying right now cause they already spent their tax returns and things seem to be selling a bit cheeper on those two sites.

Thanks to you and Dave for the kind words about the clamp.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited April 2007
    That's awesome guys, wish we could ALL meet more frequently but the logistics is such a ****. It's nice to shoot the **** with people that have the same audio interests. I'm glad I met a few local Polkies as my other friends just don't seem to get it on the same level. These local gatherings are one of the great things about this board.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »
    That's awesome guys, wish we could ALL meet more frequently but the logistics is such a ****. It's nice to shoot the **** with people that have the same audio interests. I'm glad I met a few local Polkies as my other friends just don't seem to get it on the same level. These local gatherings are one of the great things about this board.

H9

There are a lot of people such as yourself that I would really like to meet face-to-face but I think we are lucking that we have this thing of ours (hmm a Polk "la cosa nostra" waaaaaaa). Imagine pre internet days when the only audiophiles or Polkies you could talk with were guys you MAY come across in a store somewhere or relate to some reviewer in a magazine.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited April 2007
    Imagine pre internet days when the only audiophiles or Polkies you could talk with were guys you MAY come across in a store somewhere or relate to some reviewer in a magazine.

That is very true. Many years ago I used to be a huge collector of live Led Zeppelin shows which for the most part were traded/bought in cassette form. I used to go to all the swap meets and record shows in my area and met a lot of interesting people as well has having some great conversations. Soon that moved to the internet via subscriptions to unix based listserv's and I made several friends and trading buddies all over the world as well. Karma was huge back in those days of internet trading.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pearsall001
    edited April 2007
    Additional thoughts.....

Jesse,

That's a pretty dead on accurate description of the AAD 2001 monitors. They just do everything exceptionally well without any brightness what so ever usually associated with metal tweeters. And the way they fill my 13x32 ft room is just unheard of for a small monitor but rather associated with a large floorstander. And the A/B comparison between the transport/DAC & the modded Jolida was very interesting. They both sounded wonderful with very few attributes that would set them apart. They just made great music. What a fun time we had. Can't wait for the next one!!

Phil
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Jesse,

That's a pretty dead on accurate description of the AAD 2001 monitors. They just do everything exceptionally well without any brightness what so ever usually associated with metal tweeters. And the way they fill my 13x32 ft room is just unheard of for a small monitor but rather associated with a large floorstander. And the A/B comparison between the transport/DAC & the modded Jolida was very interesting. They both sounded wonderful with very few attributes that would set them apart. They just made great music. What a fun time we had. Can't wait for the next one!!

Phil

What I find impressive about the monitors is how they come through in the dead room of yours!!!!
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2007
    Glad you all had a time of it. Polk Nation is a mighty force.... I am sitting here in Texas in a nice hotel room. Got me hooked up with wireless, RT1 has gone high-tech.... I will be meeting Tour later this week to pick-up the Amazings and bring them back to Georgia.

Well, I figured Jesse would sans the vinyl once he got his ears back on the Tri-Vista and MF gear, its cool Jesse, best leave the vinyl to the rest of us....my next trip north I will make it a point to do it with the quad guys, just remember RT1 is a pitcher..........waaaaaaaaaa, anyway, I should be able to a make a trip later this year to PA so I will catch Jersey and will enjoy sitting down with all of you. I hope you guys can make it to Georgia this Oct. for the bash.

RT1
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    I hope you guys can make it to Georgia this Oct. for the bash.

RT1

Phyllisann and I are there already!!!
  • Fireman32
    edited April 2007
    Ted you know I will be there. Cant wait!!!!