Funky RTA12???

Options
BottomFeeder
BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
edited April 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Danger Boy & I just looked at a great condition RTA12, but it seems to be a bit of an oddball. Here's why:

1. The back of the speaker says it's an RTA12C, but the circuit board on top says RTA12B

2. I've been told that the RTA12 was never made in real wood, only vinyl - cherry or walnut. But these are real walnut laminate. Purty!

So, what have I got???
"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
Post edited by BottomFeeder on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2007
    Options
    It's true.. they sounded absolutely wonderful.. and looked just as nice. Nice veneer... and in really good shape for their age.

I also found it odd that the back sticker says RTA12C but the board says RTA12B and has a fuse on the board where the 12C's that Brent has does not have a fuse.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Ken at Polk told me this in an email reply in regards as to why my SDA-1C's have the drivers of a 1C but the crossover layout on terminal cups like the 1B.

Here is his reply in the email..."You're correct, things were pretty loose as far as product improvements were concerned, using an interim "hand built" approach to be able to ship speakers before formal crossovers were finished. I'm not sure what crossover you would follow, maybe "reverse engineer" the crossover, looking at the actual crossover and drawing a schematic from that. Then maybe we can compare it to the actual crossovers?
    Have fun, Ken"

KInd of interesting. I still need to dissect my crossovers sometime soon, too. But for now, I'm enjoying! :D
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2007
    Options
    The RTA 12 series is about as reliable to grade as the Monitor 10 series.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BottomFeeder
    edited April 2007
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    The RTA 12 series is about as reliable to grade as the Monitor 10 series.

Thanks for helping. Does that mean that when they built the 12's, they might've put a little of this & a little of that in each one?

And have you ever heard of a 12B or C being made in real wood?
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Yes.

No, well, a couple wood veneers do exist but its not a full line finish for any of them. It wouldn't really matter as it doesn't increase the value to anyone but a Polkie, if that.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BottomFeeder
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hmmph!

"Full line finish." Meaning real wood veneeers weren't a "normal" part of their line up? If so, what possessed them to make a few of them? I'm guessing that it's just one more of their "little of this & a little of that" philosophy. I'm surprised they didn't make more of them as they look REALLY nice.

Thank you for your help. You is da man!
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Correct.

Just because its a real wood veneer, doesn't mean it came from the factory. I've seen a handful of professional grade and loser DIY work done on vintage Polk's w/ real wood veneer.....which of course had nada to do with the factory.

Polk has produced some rarities in regards to finishes over the years.

I'm not da' man, I'm borderline worthless.
  • BottomFeeder
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I'm thinking that this guy's were done at the factory. He's got the original receipt, they've never gone anywhere and he's had them in storage for the last 10 years. I've got some mint RTA12C's and, aside from the vinyl siding, they look exactly like them from every angle. They just look original to me, though I might not recognize a pro job if it bit me.

Danger Boy had an interesting thought...maybe Polk made some of these for showrooms and this guy just snagged some? Don't know, but they sure look perfect to me.

& At least for my money, you're on the right side of the "border!" :D
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2007
    Options
    In my travels you hear all kinds of "owner" stories....original owner, storage for many years, never been abused, smoke free home, always in basement and never exposed to sunlight, blah blah blah.

None of it matters, it always comes down to actual, on-site condition and paperwork. It appears that you found an excellent example of the RTA12, with a very nice caveat to boot. Enjoy.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2007
    Options
    The best story is "they're in mint condition". ;)

RTA 12's are unusual Polk's in that the tops are removable and shipped in three boxes. The tops could have been substituted by either Polk or the dealer. Vinyl was standard but wood veneer was an option. Here's some from an auction that had the boxes.
    1.jpg 59.2K
    2.jpg 49.8K
    3.jpg 81.8K
  • danger boy
    edited April 2007
    Options
    while the vinyl is ok.. the wood veneer is quite impressive looking in person. I should have taken a picture with my cell phone. damn it. ha ha ha
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2007
    Options
    This thread is useless without pics.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Brent, did you compare the crossovers in these and yours? Are there other differences in them? Does the circuit board on yours say RTA12C?
  • BottomFeeder
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Yeah, DB. It's only a phone pic, but the only difference I could see was the fuse. There's something else in that spot on my circuit board.

& My circuit board just says RTA12! Not B or C! Sure seems like the RTA12's were something of a hodge podge speaker.

I think I'm going to make the guy an offer. I don't have to have them, but I sure like the wood. Mine are in better shape than his - althought his are in great condition. But I just like that wood...Obviously a real rarity, given that no one seems to have ever seen it!
  • danger boy
    edited April 2007
    Options
    cool.. hope you work out a deal and snag them. They sure are pretty though.