Blue Man Group

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
I recently got the chance to see the Blue Man Group in concert. I have to say it was a really good show. I've listened to their music for a while now thanks to my son. The show was just that.....a damn good show! Audience involvement from the time we entered the complex and found our seats. Pre-show consisted of the expected music with the lights on and all that crap. Then......there were 3 screens that displayed messages. 2 large screens to either side of the stage, one center stage shown on a curtain covering the main stage. Messages would appear with ramdom thoughts and phrases. Mostly about the involvement of the crowd and chances to receive email about upcoming concerts and offerings from the group. Every now and then messages you would only know had you listened to them and that was the cool part. Pranks to be played on the people who came in later to see the concert, that was the best.

The music was fabulous. If you like drums and percussion in general...this is for you. Amazing work as the 3 men revolved from tubular like instuments that look like they were made from PVC...LARGE PVC tubes. Bent, shaped and tuned to become something I've never seen or heard before. The show was only a part of the experience. The music was what moved me. The precision they played with was sureal.

There are the 3 Blue Men, 2 other guys playing drum sets while standing and moving all the time. Large sets of drums that fill a large space of the stage. A single drummer sitting behind all the rest playing what can be called a "regular" set of drums. Massive at that. A Bass player, Lead guitarist, Rythm guitarist, Keyboads and a nice chickie singing. Each alone stands to receive merit from their performance. A Grand Piano turned on its side was used with large fur covered mallets. 2 sets of 3 large congo style drums at each corner of the stage were played with flourescent colors jumping from the skins. Super sized bass drums on each side of the stage were slammed to bring a thundering low to the rythm. These were almost supercharged with volume and shook the whole place. You could always feel every beat from every drum.

Small portable cameras were used to relay point of view to the audience. These were located inside the PVC tubes at the beginning of the show and brought out by the Blue Men. Passed around and used to display what was happening on stage. Shown on the screens for the audience to see. Taken into the audience and used to bring the crowd in focus with the show. A well executed play of moving the camera into a fan's mouth and mixed with images of the camera being swallowed down the throat to the stomach...and back again. Gross....yet intriguing.

The most inovative item in the show was the use of , as I mentioned before, PVC like tubing as instuments. These sounded like nothing I've ever heard. Smooth and mellow...then loud and commanding and all this done with intent for recognition. These guys really know what they are doing.

I saw people from 7 to 70 there. I was thinking that the older crowd would leave as soon as the music really started to HIT. They stayed and I saw them moving with the music and following the direction of the "Voice" as it instructed us to follow "Rock Concert Movement #3".

If given the chance to see these guys....DO IT!! IMO you won't regret it. This show was damn good. I've seen Cirque Du Soleil, Madonna's Confessions Tour and will see the Police Reunion Tour. I have to say The Blue Man Group will be up there at the top of my list behind the above mentioned. Well worth it.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eeagle
    eeagle Posts: 226
    edited April 2007
    My wife the one that insisted I buy the SDA's (no wife factor here) took me to see the Blue Man Group the last time we were in NYC. It is still playing at the Astor Place Theatre as far as I know. The group has been around for 15+ years and is a royal treat.

The premise is simple: Three deadpan aliens, with comical puzzlement, gamely work their way through the trappings of modern culture. They drum on paint and play PVC tubes creating vibrant splashes of color; they consume Twinkies and Cap’n Crunch; they engulf the audience in a sea of toilet paper; one of them catches an astonishing number of marshmallows in his mouth. Its three creators Matt Goldman, Phil Stanton and Chris Wink still perform regularly, but it’s hard to tell who’s beneath the blue makeup.

I have several of their albums and particularly enjoy:

"Blue Man Group - Audio"

on the SDA's.
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES