Cheap auto insurance company for 23 year old

JoshParsons84
JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
The cheapest I've found so far is Nationwide @ $202.95/month and Geico @ $199.74/month. Does anybody know of anybody that may be cheaper?
Post edited by JoshParsons84 on

Comments

• dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited April 2007
    There are WAY too many variables to get a straight answer from anyone. Location, age, record, car, etc etc. What insurance company might be the cheapest for one person may be one of the most expensive for another.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited April 2007
    Well I'm 23 in Tomahawk, KY with a 99 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4 door driven on a clean record.
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited April 2007
    Park it in the garage until you turn thirty then it starts to get cheaper, They figure your brain has finally developed by then. Or dress like a woman and convince them that you are. Sorry to much time on my hands today.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited April 2007
    and the cheapest i've found is 200 bucks come on now. The first payment would be $390.90 That's just crazy to me
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited April 2007
    Go to www.progressive.com , they will give you their quote, and the quote of several competitors, even if it is less than their's. That's how I ended up with Allstate on my car, they were much cheaper than anyone else.

For my motorcycle, Progressive has always been the cheapest, but on the car, they are always one of the most expensive. Like the other's stated, too many variables.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited April 2007
    Fact is,thats what it cost for young drivers these days.Low cost usualy comes at low coverage.Also the fact it's a GT model doesn't help.Try getting a 4 cylinder gas saver,used.Pay cash,get liability only,and maybe you'll be in the price range your dreaming about.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    Dude......I am in Clarksville, TN (home to one of the 10 deadliest highways in america, 41A) I am 24 and drive a 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T.......I pay $105 a month with Geico.....I think someone is trying to bone you.....Just my $.02 though. I have no blemishes on my record either as of yet....If I lived on the KY side around here, it drops to $89 a month......
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited April 2007
    and the cheapest i've found is 200 bucks come on now. The first payment would be $390.90 That's just crazy to me

Reality sucks bro.
    What have you been paying?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2007
    Whao. You mean car insurance for women drivers is less expensive than for men drivers?

Does that make any sense?!?!

:D:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2007
    esurance
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    As has been said, it's totally dependent on the person and circumstance, no one can predict which will be the best for you. Just... do some research. Why you're asking a random forum what insurance would be best for you, rather than polling insurance companies, I have no idea.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited April 2007
    The cheapest I've found so far is Nationwide @ $202.95/month and Geico @ $199.74/month. Does anybody know of anybody that may be cheaper?

I couldn't imagine spending that much $$$ on car insurance. I bought a 4x4 SUV in '04 at 23 years old and pay less than $70/month for full coverage. I love USAA -- don't evan ask, JoshParsons84, you most likely aren't eligible.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2007
    Well, I'm 28 and full coverage for me and the wife is about $480 a year.

That includes an 04 Pontiac GP GTP and a 94 Plymouth Grand Voyager.:)

You are paying waaaayyyyyyyy too much!:D

+1 on what Dane said...
  • JoshParsons84
    edited April 2007
    Y'all are my buddies. I ask y'alls advice for everything I need help with.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited April 2007
    tonyb wrote: »
    Fact is,thats what it cost for young drivers these days.Low cost usualy comes at low coverage.Also the fact it's a GT model doesn't help.Try getting a 4 cylinder gas saver,used.Pay cash,get liability only,and maybe you'll be in the price range your dreaming about.

That's a good point Tonyb. Fact is I talked to the guy today and guess what....he's trying to scam me. Well he wanted me to give him the money up front and not give me my vehicle till Monday morning and just right me out a bill of sale. HA HA HA do you think I'm stupid! So needlesstosay that deal fell through cause I'm not gonna give some random stranger 3,500 dollars in 50 dollar bills and not get anything in return. So tonyb do you know of some good 4 cyl 5 spd to start looking at. I have 3,500 CASH to spend if you know of a good place to go.
  • dane_peterson
    edited April 2007
    My wife and I pay $480? every 6 months to insure both of our cars (01 Jetta and 03 Jetta--full coverage) We're both 23.

As I said before, no one's going to be able to help you here. Just hunt around. Your record will play the biggest role. Any tickets in the last 3 years will increase it significantly.
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    The only thing I can think of is maybe you have had a lapse in coverage and are now trying to get a new policy....That will screw you bad..........Believe me, I know.....I let it lapse back in 02, because I was overseas and not driving, and owned the car outright...But my rates are just now in the realm of normal after 5 years.....Don't get me started about USAA, they are not helpful at all unless you are married or an officer.....Sorry for the rant.
  • dane_peterson
    edited April 2007
    Do you want something sporty and fun? Or just a commuter?

For $3500, if you want a car with some balls, check out 1990-1994 Eclipse GSX, Talon TSi AWD, and Laser AWDs. They're turbo, and plenty of power.

If you're just looking for something to get around town with, I'd look into mid-90s Civics.
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    A VW is a great car for you to insure......They are nice because they are one of the safest cars on the market and are evidentially really hard to steal....Is the $3500 a down payment, or the whole she-bang?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2007
    Bicycle.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited April 2007
    Don't get me started about USAA, they are not helpful at all unless you are married or an officer.....Sorry for the rant.

What happened with USAA? I'm neither married nor in the military, but am a member because my father was in the Army, and my experiences have been nothing less than stellar. I have everything through them -- car and renters insurance, car loan, checking & savings accounts, Trad. and Roth IRA's, credit card, and more...I'm extremely happy with the service I've received from them.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2007
    wodom1 wrote: »
    What happened with USAA? I'm neither married nor in the military, but am a member because my father was in the Army, and my experiences have been nothing less than stellar. I have everything through them -- car and renters insurance, car loan, checking & savings accounts, Trad. and Roth IRA's, credit card, and more...I'm extremely happy with the service I've received from them.

I use to have them, until I found insurance A LOT cheaper elsewhere. I was niave and thought since they are military oriented that they'd be the best, was I wrong.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited April 2007
    Age, credit report, drivers record, other drivers in house hold, whether or not you're married, own a house, have kids, engine size in car, 2 door or 4 door, color (fire engine Red not good). Looking to save on insurance drive a 4 door 4 cylinder blue color car. Pay cash pay for liability only, avoid accidents at all cost or cost of coverage will double.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• TN_Polk_Lover
    TN_Polk_Lover Posts: 243
    edited April 2007
    What a lot of people don't know is that auto insurance companies now rely heavily on credit reports to determine what they charge you. Consumers Report had an issue a while back where they went into great detail about it.

The weird thing is, the rating they use is not necessarily the same as the rating used to get a loan from the bank. There is a company which does credit rating analysis specifically for auto insurance companies. Then this company sells the ratings to the insurance companies.

I would have to go back and read the whole article again, but it was all based on the statistical likelihood that a person with a certain credit "profile" will file a claim. Again, I'm going off memory here, but the ideal profile was a married homeowner with exactly 2 credit cards from major banks (such as chase, citibank, etc.) and exactly 1 credit card from a major oil company. If you had any store credit cards (usually they are through a finance company such as GE, HFC, etc. and not a bank) it would count against your score. It really didn't have anything to do with the total amount of money you were in debt. It was a really interesting article.
    Robert
    You are officially in the high-end of the deep-end of the top-end.

Bonus Room Over Garage:
    Toshiba 27" CRT TV
    Digital Source: Sony DVP-NS3100ES
    DVR: Panasonic DMR-ES15
    Denon 3806 AV Receiver
    - L/R Preamp out to Parasound HCA-1200 Amp
    Polk RTi70's, CSi40 Center, RTi38 Side Surrounds, RTi38 Back Surrounds

Living Room: (2ch only)
    TV: Sony KV20-FV12
    DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS715P
    Yamaha R9 Receiver Polk RTi38's
  • JoshParsons84
    edited April 2007
    Do you want something sporty and fun? Or just a commuter?

For $3500, if you want a car with some balls, check out 1990-1994 Eclipse GSX, Talon TSi AWD, and Laser AWDs. They're turbo, and plenty of power.

If you're just looking for something to get around town with, I'd look into mid-90s Civics.

I like that "with balls". I do want an AWD vehicle. This'll be for right now something to get to work in. But something I can like starting out and be able to fix up to be something.
  • dane_peterson
    edited April 2007
    Well, they're available in FWD models as well (See Eclipse GST, Talon TSi, and Lasers) Optional turbocharged engine that's damn near bulletproof. In fact, the FWD models will probably be a little cheaper in comparison. I only recommend the AWDs because they're faster off the line, and fun in winter. :)
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    wodom1 wrote: »

I am an E-4 that is 24 and single with a clear driving record and good credit, and they wanted to charge me $225 a month for insurance, while my current rate will be $98 a month when I renew in july.....It was because I was considered a "high risk" BECAUSE I WAS MILITARY!!!! I thought the whole reason USAA was there was to look out for the soldiers....Guess not. :mad:
  • JoshParsons84
    edited April 2007
    You'll find out Bill that the military dont give a damn about you in the long run. Especially the higher ups like Colin Powell and the Bush Administration could really care less about you. My father in law (I forget what he was when he got out) was a high ranking officer that worked in the white house everyday. He got shipped out to all these different places of course like Germany which he said he loved so much and Alaska where he consumated and eventually got my mother in law pregnant and had my wife. Also Colombia when they had a hard on for Pablo Escobar, he told me he'll never go back to that screwed up country. But he said the higher up he got the more corruption within our system he found out about and said it wasn't worth it, watching all his friends get killed over stupid stuff because they knew about stuff they wasn't supposed to.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2007
    I am with Progressive. I had Geico and they rasied my rates for no reason. I have not had a ticket since I was 17. I check with esurance and they were quite expensive. Go through the phone book and get as many quotes as possible
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited April 2007
    Progressive's competitive quotes are an interesting marketing tactic. They choose which competitors quotes they show you. If they really want you as a customer, they choose companies which have higher quotes. If they do not think you would be a good risk, they show you competitors who have lower quotes.

Where did you get this info? I am already a Progressive customer, and they still showed me lower rates elswhere. With a credit score of 800+, a clean driving record since 1989, garage kept vehicles, and living in a very low crime area, they would certainly not find me a bad risk.