Lyrid Meteor Shower is visible this weekend

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,805
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
http://skytonight.com/observing/objects/meteors/3305866.html

This is typically one of the less active showers we can see here in North America. However, at various times during the 2,000 year recorded history of this shower, there have been several times where there have been more than 100 meteors in the sky per hour. Since it's so sporadic in activity, it's always a good shower to watch because you never know when it will come down like rain!

The best viewing times are after 2:00 AM Sunday morning until dawn and after 2:00 AM on Monday morning until dawn. The shower will be going all weekend long but the position and brightness of the moon at this time of year makes it difficult to see the fainter streaks.

I'll likely be up after 2:00 AM and it'll still be Saturday and if you are too, don't forget to look up. You just might see something cool! By the way, as usual, the farther away from heavily lit areas and populated areas, the better your viewing will be.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited April 2007
    Cool.. My 2 boys and I try to keep up with "space" accurences as much as possible. This was a weekend we are waiting for. Hopefully the sky will be clear. I might to take some night photos, if like you said, the moon wont be to bright.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited April 2007
    They're calling for a cloudy weekend here, but hopefully one of the nights will be clear. I'll definitely be out there with my camera if things go well.

Thanks for reminding us!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    Very cool! I would like to see this. Hopefully itll stay clear tonight.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited April 2007
    Just saw one tonight on my way home, first one I've seen in years.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2007
    Going to be a nice clear weekend. Will stay up to watch it.
  • michael_w
    edited April 2007
    Just because I was curious, I stood outside and watched for a bit last night. Only actually saw one and realized it's going to be very hard to photograph. Living in the city makes it them pretty dim (or everything else really bright in comparison). Looking forward to tonight and tomorrow.
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited April 2007
    Will be driving in the middle of nowhere - between Austin and Houston - tomorrow night. Definitely will stop and watch!!! Thanks!

Too bad I don't have a tripod here to make some photos :(
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,805
    edited April 2007
    So did anyone get a better show than one or two?

I went down to a state park at like 2 am on Saturday night where there is a good view. I was there for about 20 minutes and saw a couple. Then a state park ranger pulled up and asked me what I was doing. So I told him about the meteor shower. He said he had heard something because some people were out the night before. Then we both looked up and I said, "It's a nice, clear night, I was hoping for a bit more of a show." Then he said "Yeah, last year, that Leonid one, that was pretty active." Then he started telling me that I couldn't hang around and just as I was getting ready to leave and lamenting the fact that the show was lackluster at best, there was about 6 bright flashes across the sky and one of those flashes broke up into about 4 more smaller flashes. We both remarked that it was pretty cool and I told him to have a good night and he said to drive safe and I drove off quite happy that I didn't get slammed with a $600 trespassing fine for being in a state park after dark without a permit.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited April 2007
    Clouds covered my sky this weekend...Big dissapointment. The beer was cold though..:D
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2007
    Will try to get outside tonight and see if I can see any. Wasn't able to get away form my desk last night.
  • michael_w
    edited April 2007
    It was pretty lame here too. Only actually saw a couple but I'm glad I've seen it in the country years ago so I can still appreciate it. Photos didn't work very well probably because it's really bright in both my backyard and the city (and that I have no idea what I'm doing).

This one was exposed for 1246.6 seconds (20 mins) at f9.5 / 200iso.
    smallskynu1.th.jpg

I just couldn't find a happy medium between a long enough exposure to possibly catch some movement and keeping it properly exposed yet still showing at least a little bit of detail with the very dim stars. Nice couple hunks of dust on my cameras sensor too :mad:

Here's another. 30 seconds... not showing any motion at all. The moon glaring like the sun it's reflecting.

sky2smallnv6.th.jpg