It's Kinda Sad!

schwarcw
schwarcw Posts: 7,335
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
The prices of used LCD, Flat screens, rear projectors, plasmas, etc is falling like a round brick in a pond. Price compression new technology and added features make it hard to get a decent price for a machine just two or three years old. I've seen people try and price their three year old equipment at about 80'5 of what they paid. You can buy better fo about 50% of what they paid. It's a good time to buy used. Most big picture manuafacturer's are falling at 30% per year. They need better features, technologies, contrast ratio's etc. to maintain the same cash flows.

I'm still on the fence, audio is where it's at for me. Plus cable rates are going through the roo to support these new machines. Where's my Yagi????
Carl

Post edited by schwarcw on

Comments

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited April 2007
    I agree, people are pricing their used TV's based on what they payed, not based on new prices. I realize it's tough when they paid over $2000 a year ago, but you're right, they for sure ain't going to get $1500 when if I shop around I can get a brand new one for $1200 or $1300. :rolleyes:
    Can prices really keep going down much more though or have they finally settled in? Or will the technology just keep changing and what we buy today will soon be obsolete. Or will the current technology just be tweaked a bit from now on. Screen sizes and resolution can only go so far. It's already at the point of diminishing returns for most everyone. I went for the new PC and surround sound receiver every couple years thing there for awhile. I ain't going to do the same with TV's for sure.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2007
    I personally think the quantum leaps are done for a while, but it's going to become more refined, manufacturing costs are going to continue to drop, along with the retail price of this stuff.

I'm one of those that paid 2500 for a 50" 1081i plasma last year on a big sale, and I've given it some thought. I've come to the conclusion that buying a plasma, lcd, dlp, whatever, is like buying a computer, if you want one, just buy one at the best price you can find, and then stop worrying about what happens after.

As Mrs Rat pointed out while I was grumbling about current prices, If we hadn't bought it last year, we wouldn't have had that year to enjoy it.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited April 2007
    There's supposed to be some sort of new technology coming out later in the year that involves a single laser that writes directly to the screen; some sort of offshoot of DLP but simpler, cheaper, more reliable, better looking, etc.

By my indepth, technical discussion, you can tell I'm not sure what it is: anybody know what I'm talking about ? :o
    Sal Palooza
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2007
    Thats why Im going to front projection, I can biggie size my screen and be content with PQ for about 2 yrs. I agree with you though, out here I have seen plasmas at 700-1000.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • liordra
    liordra Posts: 152
    edited April 2007
    I think OLED is coming up next year, if u believe the hype it should be the realy deal. http://www.oled-info.com/
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2007
    Sherardp,

That's what I did. Perfect picture anywhere in the room and only 106".

engtaz
    Projector: Mitsubishi HD1000U
    Screen: GrayWolfII 106"
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2007
    I know youre having fun with that engtaz, any pics of your room?
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited April 2007
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    I personally think the quantum leaps are done for a while, but it's going to become more refined, manufacturing costs are going to continue to drop, along with the retail price of this stuff.

I'm one of those that paid 2500 for a 50" 1081i plasma last year on a big sale, and I've given it some thought. I've come to the conclusion that buying a plasma, lcd, dlp, whatever, is like buying a computer, if you want one, just buy one at the best price you can find, and then stop worrying about what happens after.

As Mrs Rat pointed out while I was grumbling about current prices, If we hadn't bought it last year, we wouldn't have had that year to enjoy it.
    yep..I paid $2000 for a Sony 46" LCD earlier this month. The stores are marketing the 1080p's so much that you can get a rediculous deal on 720p sets..

and you probably won't be missing too much
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2007
    OK...maybe I'm doing this all wrong? I tend to buy what I want and try not to have to upgrade. That is as far as TV's, DVDP's and the such go. I tend to hold out and save my money to get what it is I really want. Sure, I could have gotten a 50" Plasma, but my 42" is what I wanted.

I will agree that the prices are dropping at a rate that will make your head spin. But, how long does one wait to get the deal they want? Will a better product come on the market and the cycle start all over again? IMO I like the way I'm doing things. Sure enough somebody I know will top what I have. Big Chit! I got what I wanted and it suits me fine. I paid $1000.00 for my Samsung 42" Plasma out the door. It has all the goodies...HD, HDMI, 1080, screen saver and all the other crap they like to sell you on. Point is...this is what I wanted and will use it until it breaks down...or my son needs / wants it.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing