Signed Carver M-1.0t amp....cool

avguytx
avguytx Posts: 1,628
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
I thought I would post a couple of pictures of last nights Sunfire training the company I work for did at our facilities in Dallas. I hate digital cameras indoors with a flash so only one picture came out good with Bob but the one after he signed my amp turned out good! ha. I wish we could do avatars in here cause that's what it would be!

Bob is a great guy and I've known him for about 20 years now. The last time I really "knew" him where I talked to him more was in my retail Carver selling days back in the mid to late 80's. It's always great to hear his stories of the past in regards to coffee can amps in college, patent rights, amp controversies, achievements, etc. Now, I rep the Sunfire side of things and this past year, it's been nice getting to know Bob again. I took my M-1.0t to the training last night just for him to look at because it's in such great shape. He was literally amazed at how good it looked for being almost 20 years old! He literally said "Oh my God...it's like it just came out of the box!" I told him of the amazing amount of Carver/Sunfire followers he has out there which flattered and humbled him. He had no idea what the older Carver amps were bringing on the 'net right now and didn't even know there was a "Carver" forum! It was great to find out that the M-1.0t that I have is more of his "picks" of the amps he designed years ago because of the statement it made. He asked (because he couldn't remember!) how much power the M-1.0t was listed at and I told him 200wpc. He laughed and said, "that amp is more like 325 to 350 watts at 8ohm and 500+ at 4ohm. Marketing made me rate it at that point because they said that's where it needed to be. I said, ok". So, him autographing it was a great moment for me! This amp will never go away...especially since my name is right on the front! lol

I also told him about the DTL-200 CD player I have that looks as good as the amp but it doesn't work. (loads but doesn't spin) He still uses the DTL-200 in his home system and raved about it's sound quality still. He asked me to send my CD player to him so he can "fiddle" with because he feels he can make it work again. How nice is that? THAT, my friends, is why I've always been a Carver fan and continue to be.

A great night for sure. Even if it was more for training our Sunfire dealers, everyone loved hearing Bob talk. He talked about the "amp challenges" that he did with the magazines (one with the M-1.0t against the Conrad Johnson amps) and said he wishes he would've gone about that differently so he wouldn't have "pissed so many people off in the industry". I told him that's what made him an "Audio rebel WITH a cause". lol.

Bob's main line is simply "enjoy the music". Works for me....

(p.s...don't laugh at my rack of goodies. I haven't come across the right thing yet..lol)
Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
020a.JPG 373.6K
025.JPG 460.6K
032.JPG 313.7K
Post edited by avguytx on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    That's awesome!!! One to frame and hang, for sure.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    Wow, I'd LOVE to have been there. Bob Carver is one of my heroes.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2007
    Man, I'm jealous. Very cool to have the mind behind so many great products be interested in what you have in your personal stash.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited April 2007
    WOW! Great story! Bob is a great guy - glad to see he's doing well!
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • TroyD
    edited April 2007
    Also, anyone heard the sunfire cinema ribbons? Just curious...

BDT
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,805
    edited April 2007
    That's awesome!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2007
    That is so cool... big high five to you and Bob Carver!!

Imagine Bob HIMSELF work on your CDP to try and fix it? I'd prob pee my pants If i were in your shoes and he had said that to me. :eek: :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited April 2007
    My respect for Carver/Sunfire just shot thru the roof.

Very impressive!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• avguytx
    edited April 2007
    Troy, yeah...I've heard them and they are an impressive speaker with awesome staging and depth. The Cinema Ribbon Duo uses 2 side firing 4" high back EMF drivers similar to what's in the subs for amazing response. The Cinema Ribbon Trio's were designed for on wall (and soon to be inwall) applications because of the flat panel applications. I told Bob to keep his eyes open for a pair of the Carver Amazings and he said he would but I ought to get the Trio's and put them on stands and add a sub to them. These days, it's all about the size of the speakers and the "WAF". He still has the Amazings in his listening room at home in Washington and they are all original. Basically, the ribbon in the Cinema Ribbons is a condensed version of the 6 foot ribbon "folded" over and over to get the size down. If you have a dealer in your area, you should listen to them. Pretty darn cool...

I just looked at the website and they haven't put the Trio's on there yet as they are just now shipping. They showed them at CEDIA back in September and had them in the hotel suite playing at CES. I should've taken a pic of those! Let me see if I can get a good scanned picture from the brochure and I'll post it. (NOTE: Found it, scanned it and here it is)

I may just have to buy a pair on my sample account and "evaluate" for 90 days! lol
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • TroyD
    edited April 2007
    Bob originally mentioned working on the cinema ribbons in an interview as far back as 1998 so they are a long time coming. I'm really interested in hearing them to be honest although I'll admit to being skeptical.

BDT
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2007
    I am jealous. My first receiver was a Carver. I still have it but not mint. I thought it was broken at one point but found that my toddler at the time, used it as a piggy bank and was putting penny's in the top vents. I got all the change out and it is still working to this day.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited April 2007
    engtaz wrote: »
    I am jealous. My first receiver was a Carver. I still have it but not mint. I thought it was broken at one point but found that my toddler at the time, used it as a piggy bank and was putting penny's in the top vents. I got all the change out and it is still working to this day.

engtaz

Not a bad savings plan for future upgraditis huh? :D
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited April 2007
    Kip, great story...you're a lucky guy. Maybe George will change his mind about the 1.0 now that you've gotten Bob to speak about it :D

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited April 2007
    Very very cool :cool: :cool: :cool: . Someday it would be nice to have the same type of experience with my audio hero, Nelson Pass. Bob did a lot of great things for audio and the likes of him and Nelson and John Curl and some others won't be seen again as the true audio pioneers of today have become diluted much like audio is today.

They are sort of like Caroll Shelby, Harley Earl, Frank Lloyd Wright, Enzo Ferrari, etc. In that they had a singular vision and no matter what got in their way, they were going to do it their way on their terms regardless of some of the consequences.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2007
    If you're referring to THIS George, not likely.
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited April 2007
    If you're referring to THIS George, not likely.
    Course I was...

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • avguytx
    edited April 2007
    I'm lost...that must be an inside thing. lol
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    avguytx wrote: »
    I'm lost...that must be an inside thing. lol

If you are on the Carver forum as well, he has voiced his opinion many a time about this amp there......I am posting a link over there to this thread so the guys can check it out.
  • avguytx
    edited April 2007
    I asked Bob lots of different questions about his opinions on the older products but I didn't want to put them down because it might make some think I was just making stuff up. Marketing (at Carver) in those days had more control over what things were done sometimes than what Bob did. He said THEY always liked to think they knew what was best for the line. One example was the TX-11 tuner. I mentioned to him that I had been searching for a TX-11a because of everyone raving about it being the "best" that Carver had. Before I told him which one I had, he said..."you want the TX-11...THAT's my baby. The only difference was the AM Stereo which was not really worth it in the long run since most listened to FM anyway for musicality. But, marketing said we needed AM". Kind of made me feel good that I had the TX-11 then. I really never listen to it...I mainly wanted it for the looks with everything else. But, it does sound damn good with barely a piece of wire attached to it!

He said he'd have a hard time picking out any of his favorites because he's a lot older and his memory can't keep up with all the models. I thought that was funny. He really had an affinity for the amplifiers that he did for the magazine writeups because of the controversy involved. There was "extra" time put in just to "kick their ****". lol
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited April 2007
    i love carver amps. i have a carver m-4120 four channel car amp rated at 120 watts a channel. the sound quality is amazing! i also run a m0.5t for my home system. his amps are timeless!
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited April 2007
    Here's to ya Bob. I spent part of the day bi-amping my TFM-45/TFM-42's to run a pair magnepan 1.6qr's. Your lifelong dedication and commitment to constantly move forward in developing and bringing the latest audio technology to millions of music and video lovers is truly "amazing". Thank you.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2007
    Awesome for sure!
  • avguytx
    edited April 2007
    Candyliquor...how do you like that CT-24 preamp? I'm thinking about picking up a CT-17 just to get the remote capability. Man, would that come in handy! Although, I do have the "pause" button on the CD player. lol. I know that the CT's are older Dolby Pro Logic stuff which wouldn't make a hill of beans of difference to me since I only use them for 2-channel anyway.

But, if I got one, it wouldn't match the rest of the stuff! haha. Unless, I keep it close to the PSD-36b CD changer!
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited April 2007
    avguytx wrote: »
    Candyliquor...how do you like that CT-24 preamp? I'm thinking about picking up a CT-17 just to get the remote capability. Man, would that come in handy! Although, I do have the "pause" button on the CD player. lol. I know that the CT's are older Dolby Pro Logic stuff which wouldn't make a hill of beans of difference to me since I only use them for 2-channel anyway.

But, if I got one, it wouldn't match the rest of the stuff! haha. Unless, I keep it close to the PSD-36b CD changer!

Overall I like it and plan on keeping it. I like the way it sounds including the fm tuner and phono. I have nothing to compare it to though. The only other ss pre I've owned was a sony es a/v prologic unit and this sounds 10 times better imo.

Don't likes: grounds on the rca jacks are just pushed in by hand and come out quite a bit when changing cables. FM switch is finicky when the weather is damp and may not work for days or more. I cleaned with electronic parts cleaner which helped a little but not enough. I don't know if they all have a problem with the fm switch or just mine.
  • George Grand
    edited April 2007
    Well then, it would seem to me that according to what was stated above, the TX-11a is just as good at FM as the TX-11, with the added bonus of having the AM Stereo feature.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    Well then, it would seem to me that according to what was stated above, the TX-11a is just as good at FM as the TX-11, with the added bonus of having the AM Stereo feature.
    That's what it sounds like to me.........What does that make the TX-11b then?
  • avguytx
    edited April 2007
    That's what it sounds like to me.........What does that make the TX-11b then?

It makes it black! lol

After I posted my initial reply, I decided not to counter reply with a sarcastic remark in return.
  • George Grand
    edited April 2007
    Laughing out loud at your own posts is poor internet etiquette.
  • avguytx
    edited April 2007
    A good point....the internet. Who cares about etiquette on the internet. I'll use that where it counts in life.
  • George Grand
    edited April 2007
    Nope, not really a man's man. Just someone wondering why another would be laughing out loud at something that they themself said, that wasn't all that funny. Maybe a light chuckle, or a snicker.