Dryer Question

Mike682
Mike682 Posts: 2,074
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
When we bought our house, we inherited a washer and fairly new GE dryer. My problem is that when I use the dryer to dry button down shirts, the dryer rips some of the buttons off of my shirts! The buttons are always caught in a space between a piece of molding and the dryer frame near the dryer door.

Is there anything I can use to fill this space that could withstand the dryer's internal heat? I would like to repair this for now.

I will post a pic of the area later

Any help/tips would be appreciated

Thanks
Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
Mains: polk R30
Center: polk CSi3
Rear Surrounds: polk R20
Subwoofer: polk PSW404
DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
Post edited by Mike682 on

Comments

• BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2007
    cheese.

actually, first thing that popped into my mind is the heavy duty packaging foam (the charcoal gray stuff) that came with my svs subwoofer. it should withstand the heat. looks like a wonderful excuse to set yourself up with a new sub.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited April 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    looks like a wonderful excuse to set yourself up with a new sub.

:D:D:D:D

Here is a pic. The buttons keep getting stuck in the space. There is a little crack in the molding and I taped it with electrical tape with no success
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • BIZILL
    edited April 2007
    go to home depot and ask them which epoxy would best work.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited April 2007
    You need a butler.:rolleyes:
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited April 2007
    You need to take the fron tof the dryer odd and re-install it so the drum is properly positioned on the existing gasket. If the gasket is missing you can order one from just about any appliance reapir shop.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited April 2007
    go to home depot and ask them which epoxy would best work.

Agreed. There are plenty of epoxy kits that can handle that temp, and are a little thicker than the normal stuff. Check a auto parts store if the HD doesn't have any.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2007
    It's a design flaw. Either figure out a safe alternative or buy more thread.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2007
    Most hobby shops would have epoxy that would work.

For example: This would do the trick

I've used the above to coat firewalls on Nitro powered RC planes without any trouble.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited April 2007
    http://www.repairclinic.com/0001.asp

go to this site and search your model number. i'm pretty sure this is the place i used to figure out how to fix my dryer, humidifier and dishwasher. if i remember right, they have trouble shooting guides, the parts you need and pretty good instructions for some problems.

if you can't wait for part delivery, you can at least get the right terminology to use to get the part at a local appliance parts store found in the phone book. also, when you know the part, you can search the net to get more info if needed. usually you're not the only person having the problem and there are lots of sites that specialize in appliance repair.

for my dryer, the parts i needed were felt pads that the drum rides against. the problems that i had were very similar to what you describe. clothes were getting caught and leaving pull marks and stains sometimes. the fix was a pita, but it didn't take long and wasn't very complicated.

)
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited April 2007
    Wouldn't some duct tape do the trick?:D
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited April 2007
    The blower on my dryer (Maytag Performa) came loose last year. The plastic squirrel cage was held on by a bolt, and the plastic had cracked, allowing the squirrel cage to wobble.

Now, this squirrel cage takes some heat. But the Universal, Guaranteed to Work on Almost Anything in Life Solution I used (for the umpteenth time) is:

JB Weld.

Not the Qwik Set stuff, but the regular that requires 24 hours to really set up.

You can get it at Auto Zone, cost about .... oh...... $6.

Use Scotch tape to fabricate a mold around the area that needs sealing.
    THOROUGHLY mix the two parts, and spoon it into the mold. Let it set up a good 24 hours, and ...... dry away.

I've used this stuff at work to repair condensate station tanks that are under pressure and temperature, and the repairs are still in place.

JB Weld ..... the nectar of the Gods. :)
    Sal Palooza
  • BIZILL
    edited April 2007
    autozone has stuff to repair leaky radiators that looks like two different colors of playdough. you break off a piece of each color and roll them together into a ball and then you've got time to shape it like you would playdough and it sets up hard as a rock. basically, a bit like jb weld. but right off the bat it's playdough form. PERFECT ANSWER RIGHT THERE.

EDIT: partsamerica, some call it checker auto. http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=PTX&MfrPartNumber=09116&CategoryCode=3286
    and you just break off a chunk and roll it into a ball and then mold/shape.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote: