Help prevent the death of Internet radio - Pandora Last.FM etc.

Options
ledhed
ledhed Posts: 1,088
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
I got this e-mail today from the founder of Pandora, an internet radio site which I know many people here use.
E-mail wrote:
Hi, it's Tim from Pandora,

I'm writing today to ask for your help. The survival of Pandora and all of Internet radio is in jeopardy because of a recent decision by the Copyright Royalty Board in Washington, DC to almost triple the licensing fees for Internet radio sites like Pandora. The new royalty rates are irrationally high, more than four times what satellite radio pays, and broadcast radio doesn't pay these at all. Left unchanged, these new royalties will kill every Internet radio site, including Pandora.

In response to these new and unfair fees, we have formed the SaveNetRadio Coalition, a group that includes listeners, artists, labels and webcasters. I hope that you will consider joining us.

Please sign our petition urging your Congressional representative to act to save Internet radio: http://capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/issues/alert/?alertid=9631541

Please feel free to forward this link/email to your friends - the more petitioners we can get, the better.

Understand that we are fully supportive of paying royalties to the artists whose music we play, and have done so since our inception. As a former touring musician myself, I'm no stranger to the challenges facing working musicians. The issue we have with the recent ruling is that it puts the cost of streaming far out of the range of ANY webcaster's business potential.

I hope you'll take just a few minutes to sign our petition - it WILL make a difference. As a young industry, we do not have the lobbying power of the RIAA. You, our listeners, are by far our biggest and most influential allies.

As always, and now more than ever, thank you for your support.

tim_signature.jpg
-Tim Westergren
(Pandora founder)
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
Post edited by ledhed on

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Dang
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I swear, its ike the record companies dont want you to try there music. do they think were gonna buy it blind?

I've bought a number of CD's based on using pandora to find stuff I like. is a handy tool. and they wonder why record sales plummet
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited April 2007
    Options
    signed the petition.. Hope we win..
  • Sansui
    Sansui Posts: 372
    edited April 2007
    Options
    ohskigod wrote: »
    I've bought a number of CD's based on using pandora to find stuff I like. is a handy tool. and they wonder why record sales plummet
    I totally agree with that! If it wasn't for Shoutcast I wouldn't have spent the money I have on CD's.

I just signed the petition too.
    Be gentle, I'm new to all this...

The mind blowing speed of the BRAIN TRAIN...
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Man I love Pandora. I found alot of new music as well from them. Signed.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Here is a link to a Podcast from Chicago Public Radio's show Sound Opinions (4/2/07), that some of you may find interesting. The first part of the show discusses this very issue.

The whole idea of this just pisses me off.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I would sign it, too, but the page just won't load for me for some reason. :(
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Damn, back to Limewire...
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Signed. I've bought several CD's after discovering bands on Pandora.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • ledhed
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Well, as a bump there is also this:

Thank you for your support of the SaveNetRadio campaign. As you know, the future of internet radio is in serious jeopardy. Your letter to your Congressional representatives has led Congress to take action, and a bill that could save Net radio has been introduced.

The “Internet Radio Equality Act ", H.R. 2060, is being considered by Congress right now, and we ask that you take a moment to call your Congressperson to ask them to co-sponsor this legislation.

To find the phone number for your Congressional representative, visit http://capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/home/ and enter your zip code.

Your opinion matters to your representatives, and it matters to us. Without your support this bill could not have been introduced and without your continued support it cannot be passed.

Visit SaveNetRadio.org to continue following the fight to Save Internet Radio.

Thank you,

The SaveNetRadio Coalition
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • ledhed
    edited July 2007
    Options
    So, this is essentially it, if there is not immediate action taken by Congress, internet radio will be dead in 3 days! Please, follow this link and ask your Congress man to force immediate action on the Internet Radio Equality Act.
    LINK LINK LINK

Here is more info:
    Disaster looms! Yesterday a federal court denied a plea to delay the massive increase in rates webcasters must pay the record labels. This means that, absent immediate Congressional action, the new ruinous royalty rates will be going into effect on Monday threatening the future of all internet radio.
    This is a very dire situation and I'm writing to ask one more time for your support. The effort you've made over the past four months has been extraordinary and has forced the rapid introduction of the bill, but the committee process has been sluggish and we need to once again remind the representatives of the urgency of this issue. This is perhaps the most important phone call you can make for us.

Please call your Congressional representatives in the House and the Senate and ask them to force immediate action on the Internet Radio Equality Act and bring the bill to a vote. It is critical that their phones begin ringing off the hook starting early in the morning. If it's busy, please try again later.

I'm sorry that we have to keep asking you for this - but it's our only recourse. We are no match for the legal and legislative strength of the RIAA and we need your help.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited July 2007
    Options
    That is soooooo lame! I'm truly beginning to HATE the music industry.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited July 2007
    Options
    cmy330go wrote: »
    That is soooooo lame! I'm truly beginning to HATE the music industry.

Or lack of industry. Time for those boys to put on their thinking caps and
    come out with some real ideas instead of lamely complaining the internet is killing them.
    It's their lack of material that's doing it. Rap is old. The older crowd that bought records
    and cds can't find/hear anything new that's palettable. Thus, sales are down.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson