Parametric EQ on the 9855r

zoso02
zoso02 Posts: 4
edited April 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have an Alpine 9855 head unit which has a 5 band Parametric EQ...have been playing around with it but it would be helpful if someone can help me understand it better and help me set it...

It would really help if any of you can share any links that might help me understand how to set these equlizers...

Thanks...
Post edited by zoso02 on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited April 2007
    zoso02 wrote: »
    I have an Alpine 9855 head unit which has a 5 band Parametric EQ...have been playing around with it but it would be helpful if someone can help me understand it better and help me set it...

It would really help if any of you can share any links that might help me understand how to set these equlizers...

Thanks...

With the 9855 you have the option of both a 7 band Graphic EQ and a 5 band Parametric. For people unfamiliar with the parametric you'll probably have better luck going with the graphic EQ for now.

The difference between the two? The bands are "fixed" at certain frequencies with a graphic EQ and the settings mostly either boost or cut those specific frequencies...a basic tuning tool with potential for OK results.

With the 9855's parametric EQ, not only can you boost/cut frequencies on 5 bands, but you can move the bands left/right (think higher or lower frequencies, and change how they relate to the band next to it), and use different slopes that affect how broad a portion of that band is affected with your adjustments.

Some general EQ links...

http://www.dak.com/reviews/Tutorial_frequencies.cfm
    Drew's Equalizer and Frequency Equalization Tutorial - The More You Know, The Better It sounds.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/equalizers.html
    The Art of Equalization

These don't specifically apply to automotive equalization, but offer some good information none the less.

For your 9855, you can also go onto Alpine's iPersonalize section of the website and manipulate EQ settings with a different visual interface, then save them to your computer, burn to disk, and upload to your head unit- follow instructions in the owner's manual.