Where do I draw the line?

swerve
swerve Posts: 1,862
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
I haven't dropped by here in quite awhile but what I'm about to post is kind of personal. I'm posting here because i've talked to all my friends and family but i want more input on how i feel. I'm asking all of you because you all seem to be intelligent and respect others on this board.
so here i go.

About two weeks ago I came into work very stressed out (work and school)... about 45 minutes into working (cell phone vendor at mall) i began to have a panic/anxiety attack. I have always had a hot temper and cannot cool down too easily, but every since the panic attack I have been on edge all the time at work. I'm starting to see more and more of my old happy self slipping away day by day. I enjoy everything I do, including my job, but sometimes I wonder if I'm just taking on too much. I don't know how much longer I can take the weight on my shoulders before I break. I feel very irritated all the time and sometimes violent. I could get another job where I'd have more freedom and the same income but I just don't think it's right to step away from the position i am in now.
If anyone here could give me some information on how to deal with the way i'm feeling I'd really appreciate your time. Likewise for the job situation. Have I reached the end of my rope? Sometimes I feel like I am just hanging around for the friends I have made... and i know that can't be right.

thanks
cats.vans.bag...
Post edited by swerve on

Comments

• shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited April 2007
    Take a break/vacation. Immediately. Even if just for a few days. If you don't have the money to go somewhere far, go somewhere within driving distance. Try to find somewhere or something you have always wanted to do, as long as it isn't too hectic.
    I was going thru a really hectic/rough time last year, and went on a 4 day hiking and road trip. I hadn't been outdoors that much in years. I felt totally refreshed.
    Also, talk to someone close to you about it. If you don't have anyone you would feel comfortable talking with, go to a church and talk to a pastor/minister.

I'll be praying for you.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    Valium and prozac man and remember, work doesn't own you, do what will make you happy. Also, you shouldn't get too stressed, no need to worry about things you can't control. If you're having fun, you don't have too much on your plate. If you start regretting and distress too much, drop back until life is fun again.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    See a medical doctor, seriously man. If for nothing more than to rule 'other' things out, do it, and do it asap.

It could be as simple as something missing in your diet. If it's something more substantial, the sooner you know the better. If it's nothing at all, then start looking at environmental changes - ie work, etc.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    shepx2 wrote: »
    Take a break/vacation. Immediately. Even if just for a few days. If you don't have the money to go somewhere far, go somewhere within driving distance. Try to find somewhere or something you have always wanted to do, as long as it isn't too hectic.
    I was going thru a really hectic/rough time last year, and went on a 4 day hiking and road trip. I hadn't been outdoors that much in years. I felt totally refreshed.
    Also, talk to someone close to you about it. If you don't have anyone you would feel comfortable talking with, go to a church and talk to a pastor/minister.

I'll be praying for you.

I agree with this, but I think you also need to sit down and and figure out what things are making you this way.....I had a similar problem when I got back from Iraq this time, even after three weeks of vacation......I really had to just sit down and figure out what was pissing me off and what I can do to "fix" it....Be it not dealing with some people at work, maybe getting that other job, or sitting down and talking to your boss about what is making you angry...I have a very short leash with people who are stupid, because in my job field that can get people killed. I have learned to let a lot more **** roll off of my back and let these people hang themselves....I have been short lately because I am getting out in two months, and am somewhat nervous about things to come....You may just need to take some time off and concentrate on school (finances permitting) or maybe just work a little less.....Again, if you can afford it. Finding an outlet of some sort, something you enjoy doing, and making it something you do every night to unwind....No skipping a night, Make time for yourself....I like to listen to music too loud and mess around on this forum....Anything man...Your sanity is more important than anything else....
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited April 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    See a medical doctor, seriously man. If for nothing more than to rule 'other' things out, do it, and do it asap.

It could be as simple as something missing in your diet. If it's something more substantial, the sooner you know the better. If it's nothing at all, then start looking at environmental changes - ie work, etc.

Cheers,
    Russ

I'm w/Russ on this. I've been stressed for awhile and it's not a fun living. Made my appt. today to see my Doc about possible meds and changing my blood pressure meds,also. Run, don't walk, especially if you're having attcks and bouts of rage. Good luck and prayers be w/you.

Dave
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    I'll agree with Bill Ayote.

I've run into periods in my life when I have to sit down and evaluate whats going on in my life. What am I doing, what am I not doing, what makes me happy, what pisses me off, etc...

For example, I ran into a period where I consumed myself with work. I would stay late at the office, do photoshoots and stay up late all nights of the week editing photos and such. My diet went to hell! The weekend hit and I was dead tired. I just wanted to sleep and that was it. My social life sucked. I picked up weight and wasn't going to the gym. My bloodpressure shot up.

I sat down one Saturday and asked myself..."WTF are you doing to yourself??? This is not you!"

I figured out I didn't need to be at the office late. I cut back on photoshoots, got back to the gym, cleaned up the diet and feel like a million bucks. The weekend hits and I make it a point to get out and do things I love. I head out with friends, family, a date or by myself if need be.

Sit down alone and figure it out. Write it down on paper if you have to. The answer for you is in your head.

You'll do it man!

John
    No excuses!
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited April 2007
    swerve,
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, man. I am with daboyz and Russ on this. Sit down with a doctor who is qualified to deal with the type of feelings that you have. The sooner the better. Taking a vacation, etc. is a GREAT idea, but AFTER you find out the root of what is making you feel this way. You owe it to yourself to get that happier person back and figure this thing out. Take care of yourself and let us know if we can help out in any way.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2007
    Valium and prozac man
    Avoid this advice. Find the source of the problem(s) don't just cover it up with drugs. Best of luck to ya and I hope everything works out quickly.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    Ron-P wrote: »
    Avoid this advice. Find the source of the problem(s) don't just cover it up with drugs. Best of luck to ya and I hope everything works out quickly.

Agreed! Everyone wants to pop pills to fix everything.

In my previous post I mentioned about my bloodpressure. A few years back I went to the doctors and found my BP at 145/100. The Doctor asked me what was wrong. I described how I was feeling at the time including being moody and bouts of being down. He tried to prescribe me some anti-depressant saying I needed it to get things straight.

I went home, threw away the 'script and got my plan of attack ready. I hit the gym, cleaned up the diet and within one month had my BP back to a normal 125/70.
    No excuses!
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    Can you get either of those drugs WITHOUT seeing a doctor? Short term it is a good solution. Long term the issues and causes need to be addressed.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    I'm all about sitting down with someone, but I wouldn't jump to the pills....I would talk about lifestyle changes before that...I wouldn't have minded talking to someone when I got back, but you quickly get labeled as crazy around here for that...Hence all of the Combat Stress problems the army is facing....I got it all worked out, a lot of the guys around here haven't....Man, I would really just start by sitting down and figuring out what makes you that way...It helped me a lot....Just because you love your job doesn't mean you love all aspects of it either...That is A LOT of my problem...I love working on aircraft, I HATE all of the Army Bullsh!t that goes along with it....I can be anything besides that on any given day....Babysitter, janitor, exc......So I chose to get out and take my chances on the outside....It can't really get worse after 30 months of combat......Just my $.02.....
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited April 2007
    Well it seems that there lots of good ideas being thrown out there. I have to agree with seeing a doctor for sure. There lots of things medically that could be the root cause of your problems.

Diabetes. thyroid problems. Brain tumors. etc. Can all cause mood swings, depression, even outright mental illness for that matter.

As far as taking pills go I guess that would be between you and your doctor(s) some people are required to take medications, Whether it be for high blood pressure, cancer, or severe depression etc These are needed to stay alive. Of course if diet, exercise, vitamins fix them all the better.

Sit down make a list up of your issuses and what seems to be contributing to these, and get your prioritys together as to what is really important to you. then see what you can change in your life. Have a plan of action as to where you want to be in 5- years and set goals. Set time aside for yourself only.

You mentioned school also, perhaps the combination of school. work. friends. family. are too much at the moment. you are only one person. you cant do it all and still have time for you too. maybe you can figure out a way to still go to school and work. Take fewer classes? work less hours?

Obviously something has to give whether it be work. school.

But you cant continue like this without something serious happening medically or mentally.

If possible get away for a few days,a week whatever you can, and sort these issues out and regain your happiness.

GOOD LUCK. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited April 2007
    swerve

You asked for help that is the first step. Please seek medical advise like Russ suggested. The stereotype of being crazy is taboo. People have problems all the time and handle it in different ways. A good medical evaluation is good for everyone. Best of luck to you.

JT
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    Bottom line, use some of your time FOR YOU. Believe me, I know what it is like to have 18-20 hours of your day occupied with something you don't like to do....Even if it is 10-20 minutes, It could really help you sort some of that stuff out...I have also found that having a pet helps me out..I've got a dog, but in a lot of situations that isn't possible...Maybe a fish.Who knows?
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    jtgranby wrote: »
    swerve

You asked for help that is the first step. Please seek medical advise like Russ suggested. The stereotype of being crazy is taboo. People have problems all the time and handle it in different ways. A good medical evaluation is good for everyone. Best of luck to you.

JT

I want to clarify....I do not think anyone who seeks help is crazy.....It just tends to be a lot of people's opinion around here.....
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited April 2007
    I want to clarify....I do not think anyone who seeks help is crazy.....It just tends to be a lot of people's opinion around here.....

Bill

This was not a slam on you.I don't worry about what other people think. If someone needs help seek medical advise. I have a brother with panic attacks who was in denial,with a little help he is living life again.I could go on and on.

JT
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    I didn't take it as one.....i re-read the post and it sounded suspect so I clarified......It's all good man.
  • gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    edited April 2007
    I feel very irritated all the time and sometimes violent.

Dude I've been there, Wellbutrin XL 150 MG, The irritation went away.

G
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2007
    Ron-P wrote: »

Actually you should avoid any advice that doesn't recommend that you see your family physician. I have family members that take prozac to help level out chemical and hormonal imbalances. That IS the source of their problem and no amount of "soul searching" or "analysis" will fix it. Taking the drugs is no more a cover up than taking insulin is a cover up for diabetes...it is merely correcting a physical condition that the body is not taking care of properly.

It may not be something swerve needs...but I sure don't want to be the one to diagnose any physical and/or psychological issues. That is what doctors study and train years for.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2007
    Swerve, go see a DR and I hope everything works out ok for you.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited April 2007
    shack wrote: »
    Actually you should avoid any advice that doesn't recommend that you see your family physician. I have family members that take prozac to help level out chemical and hormonal imbalances. That IS the source of their problem and no amount of "soul searching" or "analysis" will fix it. Taking the drugs is no more a cover up than taking insulin is a cover up for diabetes...it is merely correcting a physical condition that the body is not taking care of properly.

It may not be something swerve needs...but I sure don't want to be the one to diagnose any physical and/or psychological issues. That is what doctors study and train years for.
    GREAT POST. GOOD ADVICE +1
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • TN_Polk_Lover
    TN_Polk_Lover Posts: 243
    edited April 2007
    Swerve,

By all means, find a good psychiatrist, or a good medical doctor, preferably a doctor of internal medicine.

Like others have said, exercise and better diet can sometimes go a long way in relieving stress and feelings of anxiety. However, sometimes a good psychiatrist can help you figure out what is causing you to feel this way and can sometimes help with just a few sessions without using any medication.

But -- panic attacks and feelings of anxiety are usually caused by a low serotonin level in your brain. Sometimes life events can trigger this to happen, stress can cause it to happen. But sometimes it is just heriditary and nothing you do in the way of diet or exercise will totally fix it. It is in cases like this that using a modern SSRI (selective seroitonin reuptake inhibitor) or SNRI (selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) can be a real miracle drug. Sometimes these can be taken for a month or two and then tapered off and you may never need it again.

I speak from experience here. My daugher was diagnosed with ADHD at an early age. The more I researched it, the more I realized that I had it also. We sought treatment for my daughter, but I never sought treatment for myself. However, as my daughter got older, around the 8th grade, it was obvious that she needed more help than simply using a psycho-stimulant (ritalin, adderal, etc.) At about that time, I went into a major depressive episode. It was as if I was shutting down. I could go to work because I knew I had to work, but when I would get home, I would literally drop to the living room floor and would not get up until the next morning to take a shower. It was as if I could not make myself do anything. This went on for about a week and I knew that I had to get professional help. I went to a psychiatrist who specializes in ADHD (including adult ADHD). He put me on Wellbutrin and in 2 days I was totally a different person. I was singing all day at work, I was the happiest person in the world. I went in to my boss and demanded a raise, (which I got). Later he switched me to Effexor, then to Cymbalta. I now take a fairly low dose of Cymbalta. I occasionally try to taper off and come off the Cymbalta, but after about 2 weeks the old feeling that the world is caving in on me returns and I know that its not yet time.

To make a very long story short, "depression" comes in many forms and degrees of severity. There is a form of depression called dysthymia which is a low-grade, but chronic depression that can last your entire lifetime. This is what my daughter has. It does not always manifest itself as being blue and unhappy all the time, but often the person is an extreme pessimist and is easily bothered by other people or bothered by seemingly small things if they don't go their way.

Anxiety, panic attacks, and even obsessive compulsive personality all seem to be related to a low serotonin level. A low norepinephrine level is associated with a low energy level, timidness, not willing to stand up for yourself when you get mistreated. A low dopamine level is responsible for attention problems and inablity inhibit yourself. This can be manifested by physical hyperactivity, constant talking (can't shut up), doing stupid things like impulse spending, etc. In my case, I was low in all three.

Now, I'm not recommending that everyone immediately just try to make themselves feel better with drugs (legal or illegal). Having to take an anti-depressent long term like I have has its downside. It cost money. Most men who take an SSRI or SNRI find that their ejaculation is different. My doctor once had me try zoloft and I did not like it all -- my ejaculation was just wierd, its like the timing of everything was just off. With Cymbalta, it is almost normal, but just a little wierd. Usually, Wellbutrin does not cause any problems in that area, but it can raise your blood pressure.

So, anyway, try all the other suggestions first, but don't be ashamed or afraid to seek help from a qualified psychiatrist if the other things don't help.

Robert
    Robert
    You are officially in the high-end of the deep-end of the top-end.

Bonus Room Over Garage:
    Toshiba 27" CRT TV
    Digital Source: Sony DVP-NS3100ES
    DVR: Panasonic DMR-ES15
    Denon 3806 AV Receiver
    - L/R Preamp out to Parasound HCA-1200 Amp
    Polk RTi70's, CSi40 Center, RTi38 Side Surrounds, RTi38 Back Surrounds

Living Room: (2ch only)
    TV: Sony KV20-FV12
    DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS715P
    Yamaha R9 Receiver Polk RTi38's