Nightmare with 3.1's....

Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
So I sold my 3.1TL's to Paul (Stubby); he would drive from Kansas to pick them up (9-10 hours). In the meantime I got my Tylers and unhooked the 3.1's.

Paul called me one Friday afternoon saying that he was hitting the road. A couple hours later I hooked the 3.1's so that he could listen to them when he arrived Saturday morning. Hit the play button, no SDA soundstage ...hmmmmm....I forgot to plug the interconnect I thought...no, interconnect was fine; I check all wires, negatives and positives are where they should at both speaker and amps sides. I then thought that I might have damaged the interconnect when pulling it out ( I had it wired in the wall), and try with a different cable. NOTHING!!! Now I am starting to sweat and decide to call Paul to call it off.....no response; left a message and called 10 more times without reaching him. Later I found out he had given me his home phone, so no way to reach him.

So here I am, with a pair of non working speakers, and with no possibilities of contacting Paul to make him turn around. I removed crossovers, checked components, checked internal wiring, checked drivers, confirmed that my amp was still common ground....could not find anything that would explain why the SDA was not there, even though the SDA drivers were working. Probably the worst night of my life. What would I tell Paul in the morning????

So Paul gets here and I receive him with the bad news; luckily he's a reasonable man, because he's quite big :)
I offered him two options: I would cover all his expenses and he would go back without the speakers, or he could take the speakers at no cost until we could find out what was going on and fixed them. He decided to take the speakers.

So Paul leaves and I stay wondering what could have happened. I know my son did play with them a couple of times; could it be he made some bad connections? What could be damaged?

Paul removed the crossovers and sent them to Ken at Polk; no problems there, and Ken suggested the SDA drivers could be bad. Paul tried with different drivers, and voila, the SDA was there. This really surprised me, since I am positive the drivers were working..or at least sound came out of them. But something was deffinitely bad with them.

So it seems this is coming to a happy ending; Paul is just waiting for Polk to receive some 6511's to place the order, and I am still wondering what the heck could have happened to them :confused::confused:

Thought I'd share; Paul is a great guy and understood that sometimes $hit happens.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
Post edited by Ricardo on

Comments