Finished - SDA SRS's in my Home Theater

Options
gij801
gij801 Posts: 32
edited April 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Well who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks. These are my original SDA SRS's that I stuffed in the back of my GTI in 1985. All original and in like-new condition. Now they power my HT and hammer! Sorry, just had to brag a bit.
theater.jpg
[IMG]http://webpages.charter.net/eganov/theater 007x.jpg[/IMG]
Post edited by gij801 on

Comments

• snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Brag away, they look vey nice as does the theater room. congrats on a nice setup.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2007
    Options
    very nice--congratulations,,what are you powering them with.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Lots to brag about there! Even got kiddie sets... Cool!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited April 2007
    Options
    That is so sweet. Am I allowed to be jealous.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • gij801
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Thanks, although I did think people would be more interested in how I got them in my GTI. Just under 1/2 half of them stuck out the back with the hatch open. The car itself was a bit cantilevered for the whole 90 mile trip from Milwaukee to Madison, WI. The dealer didn't think it was possible. I've replaced every other piece of A/V equipment many times but 22 years later these still blow people away. Gotta love 'em.
    .......And yes, they are powered by an amp seperate from the A/V receiver.
  • engtaz
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I take it you have a boy and a girl.
    engtaz

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I hauled my first set home in an 87 camaro. Actually a pretty good car for moving around the big boys.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Sweet! Looks nice!
  • Jonesy
    Jonesy Posts: 189
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Are you still around Madtown? Let a guy take a look-see, or a listen-see as the case may be :)

The setup looks great!
  • gij801
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Which projector are you using?, Is it HDTV?, And is that Screen Goo on your wall?
    Panny AE900, which is 720p HD. The screen (120")is a piece of 5x10 WilsonArt Designer White countertop laminate. Did a poplar frame around it and trimmed it out with some black velvet. I should add that I am using a $24 Cyberhome DVD player. I got the DVD player the same place I got the laminate - Menards! The panny upscales and deinterlaces fine.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2007
    Options
    gij801 wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the Blu Ray/HD DVD thing to settle out before I upgrade.

Its already been settled, its called price drop. If youre waiting for the war to offically end, I think youre be waiting a long time my friend. You can get into HD DVD for less than 300 bucks now, and the Sony BD S1 is going for 700 in my area. No need to wait, the water is just right, dive in and prepared to be blown away.

Nice setup by the way. I cant wait to get my new JVC fired up on a 126 inch.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • engtaz
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Rule thumb always buy second generation of player so you get the one with less bugs.
    engtaz

• gij801
    edited April 2007
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    Rule thumb always buy second generation of player so you get the one with less bugs.
    I did, my first Cyberhome didn't do DTS;).
  • gij801
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I also wanted to add that given the SRS's large passive subwoofers and the praises they received at the time, the SVS cylinder sub in the corner certainly goes low & loud. I always wondered if I should be throwing more power at the SRS's. Right now they are being feed by an Adcom GFA 555 and I cut the low freq's over to the sub at 80Hz - which has a built-in 550W amp.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited April 2007
    Options
    gij801 wrote: »
    I also wanted to add that given the SRS's large passive subwoofers and the praises they received at the time, the SVS cylinder sub in the corner certainly goes low & loud. I always wondered if I should be throwing more power at the SRS's. Right now they are being feed by an Adcom GFA 555 and I cut the low freq's over to the sub at 80Hz - which has a built-in 550W amp.

I don't cut the lows to my SRS's and they sound fantastic, especially bi-amped with the RDO tweeters :D.

Why waste all that capability? If you had -2's or -CRS's I could understand.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d