newbie needs monitor 10 woofer advice

Options
greyranch
greyranch Posts: 14
edited April 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Hi, I have an original pair of monitor 10's with peerless tweeter. One speaker has a woofer that is buzzing and distorting.I didnt see any markings on back of woofer so I am assuming it is a MW6501. I don't see any for sale in the for sale forum.There is a pair of MW6503 on ebay for sale.My question is:do any members have a single or pair of the 6501's for sale to me ? Can I use the 6503's without noticing a sound difference compared to the other speaker ? Thanks in advance for advice. Brad
Post edited by greyranch on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,088
    edited April 2007
    Options
    The MW6510 is the current driver Polk sells to replace all the older MW drivers in the Monitors and SDA's. It's an all purpose driver that will work in any Polk using the original MW drivers, but the driver specs aren't an exact replacement but they will work quite nicely and they are Polk recommended. So if you can't find a used MW6501 the new driver from Polk is a good option.

I believe the differences have been discussed between the MW drivers before. Tyr doing a search or perhaps F1NUT can chime in and give a short answer.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • greyranch
    greyranch Posts: 14
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome to the forum and all the advice.Any Members with drivers for sale?