Anybody know anything about LimeWire?

JoshParsons84
JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
I've got it downloaded and now I'm wondering if I've just wasted my time? Nothing seems to download fast like when I had Kazaa. But then again Kazaa destroyed my last computer. Is LimeWire just a waste of time, and not gonna download anything fast at all?
Post edited by JoshParsons84 on

Comments

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    Limewire will do the same thing Kazaa did to your computer......Can it now.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2007
    "Anybody know anything about LimeWire? "
    It's a great place to get viruses.
    Being a Computer Repair company I love when people keep **** up there computers with it. Even after I tell them to stay away they do it anyway.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    I know quite a few people who have killed their computers this way....Stop using it before it is too late...
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited April 2007
    Unless, of course, you have a Mac...
    I've used it & without any difficulty, but use it no longer. Conscience got the best of me.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited April 2007
    I've been using limewire for years and have not had a problem. I've had no virus, or spyware problems like I had with others. You just have to know what you are down loading. If I'm gonna down load an app to check out before I buy, I look for a zip, rar, or an iso and open the contents in win rar to make sure it's kosher first.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited April 2007
    I've been using limewire for years and have not had a problem. I've had no virus, or spyware problems like I had with others. You just have to know what you are down loading. If I'm gonna down load an app to check out before I buy, I look for a zip, rar, or an iso and open the contents in win rar to make sure it's kosher first.

Yup, I disable sharing from my comp and make sure that if I'm never double clicking a .exe or similar file.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2007
    Shareware programs... all the newest, latest, and greatest viruses created by many of the kids on such programs.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited April 2007
    Unless, of course, you have a Mac...
    I've used it & without any difficulty, but use it no longer. Conscience got the best of me.

Yeah, my conscience started bothering me, too, until I realized: where the hell else am I supposed to obtain "Ghetto Gaggers, Parts IV and V" ?

Don't download anything with a ".mov" extension. Ditto for any file that has a file size of 1140 Kb.

Run it off a spare, junker computer and have some fun.
    Sal Palooza
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    Limewire itself is probably the best program for that type of thing - Kazaa and the like were bundled with spyware and had inherent problems, while Limewire is open source so all that kind of thing isn't there.

However, using any of those types of programs is inherently dangerous because you're just opening up a hole into your computer that invites all types of nasty things. If you insist on using it, at least make sure you have a decent firewall set up, and virus / spyware scan often.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited April 2007
    Josh you have ANOTHER PM.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited April 2007
    I agree with the mov, firewall, and anit virus. Don't forget about anti spyware. When lime wire first came out it had the same problems as the others, but got better over time. I've been using it consistently for the last 4 year, and in that time not only are they a p2p, but also a pay for music service so I think they might have finally come clean. They also have "pro" version which is a pay for app. all in all I still miss winmx
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited April 2007
    They also have "pro" version which is a pay for app.

Yeah, & you can get the "pro" version by doing a search on Limewire basic (free). Just click on "programs" & type in Limewire Pro & up it will pop.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited April 2007
  • Phasearray
    Phasearray Posts: 437
    edited April 2007
    I believe there is a Limewire lite version.
    Nonetheless, I'm done with Kaaza, Limewire, etc etc.

Torrents ftw!
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
    Surround Back - Polk R15 <--Ticket to club polk
    Subwoofer - Onkyo SKW-340