The sheer monstrosity of the thing....

gwh
gwh Posts: 1,451
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
.......Made me do that Kramer juke when I laid eyes on it.

Was out doing my normal electronics scavenger hunt this morning and rolled up on a whole stack of goodies including this Pioneer RT-909 R2R player.

I've drug home a few R2R's before but nothing like this, looks like you can rack mount the thing.

My 17 yo daughter, who has always had less than enthusiastic remarks regarding the older gear I scrounge up, remarked "That's cool" I nodded and said "yep, that it is" (kind of a bonding moment there for us).

Rock on, enjoy the pic!

G
HT:
Martin Logan Motion 40
Martin Logan Motion 50XT
Emotiva Airmotiv E2
SVS SB16 Ultra
Def Tech Reference Sub
Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
Post edited by gwh on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited April 2007
    the 909 is the coolest look
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,676
    edited April 2007
    Pretty nice deck. Not the sturdiest, but, heck, they're almost 30 years old now. It struck me as really odd that it will take 10-1/2 reels, but only offers 3-3/4 and 7-1/2 ips tape speeds (no 15 ips).

Nonetheless, I like mine, too...

LRhifi.jpg

BTW, y'know, the RT-909's really not that monstrous... for a deck that'll take 10-1/2" reels. The 701/707 and the 901/909 were designed with "form factors" much smaller than the competing 7"/10-1/2" decks of the day.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    I'll disagree with the sturdy statement, the 707 and 909's have to be some of the most bulletproof tape machines out there. Love the direct drive.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,676
    edited April 2007
    A ReVox is bulletproof, and the TASCAM 22-4 isn't bad, either. The 909 has notoriously soft heads (though fortunately they're still available), and the 909 isn't direct drive (the 707, of course, is).
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    I wonder why they went dd on one and not the other?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2007
    The RT-909 is definetly belt driven and fun to replace. A new belt, silicon rollers and most of these units are easily spec'd. Jesse and I creatively operated on mine a long time ago.

I would imagine it was simply a matter of size and price level that dictated direct drive vs belt driven.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.