Ipod

davidk0512
davidk0512 Posts: 157
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Could anyone give me instruction on how to copy CDs to an Ipod without compressing the files as (I think) is done through Itunes? I have been copying CDs into the Itunes music library and synchronizing with the Ipod. Music quality is fine as is for the earbuds and for playing on my motorcycle sound system, but I read an article on affordableaudio.com about using the Ipod as a music server but best not to compress the files when copying.
David
Post edited by davidk0512 on

Comments

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2007
    David:
    I've come to recommend that most people use the Apple Lossless encoding. To do that open iTunes, go into the Preferences, select "Advanced", click on "Importing", look for the selector "Import Using" and choose "Apple Lossless", finally click on the "OK" button. Now, everything you import will be put in the lossless compression which decompresses on the fly. It is excellent IMHO and usually saves half off the file size.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • davidk0512
    davidk0512 Posts: 157
    edited April 2007
    Marc, thanks for the response. With the music compressed, I've got about 35 hours of music and taking only 1.9 gigs of space. With 30 gig, I should be alright, I'll just have to take the time to re-copy CDs. I had actually been thinking of using the Ipod for this purpose and figured sound quality would be crap playing compressed through my system. Then I saw your article..
    David
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    I can't imagine that the iPod is high quality enough of a source for you to notice the difference between compressed and uncompressed music. If you compressed to 256kbps you're probably already pushing the limits of what the iPod is going to put out.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2007
    Bob:
    On a select few pieces when I did the review I noticed a slight difference in the upper frequencies between AIFF and Apple Lossless. That could have been a digital coding anomoly for all I know. Keep in mind, I was using the iPod as a music server in my home rig. The output of the iPod is better than many give it credit for. JA of Stereophile confirmed it in tests.

When using it for its original purpose, wearing a decent set of headphones (base model Sennheisers), really shows the dynamic range of the iPod. That sound is improved even more by using a quality headphone amp.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    Fair enough.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited April 2007
    Bob,

Did you read Polk Paul's article? Well worth it...

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d