My Colorado people!!!

Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
My wife and I are taking a trip to Colorado from May 5th through the 12th to check out the state and see if we want to move out there. We've visited California, Arizona and New Mexico but really wanted to give Colorado a look before we make concrete plans of where we want to live. I LOVE lots of sunshine and it has to be relatively green, which is what is drawing me to check out Colorado. I loved the weather of the other three states but the lack of green kills me (I love to golf).

We're flying into Denver on the 5th pretty early and plan to stay for the Cinco De Mayo celebration (if you think it's worth it!). What I'm wondering is if you could point out some great places for us to check out? I've heard and read fantastic things about Fort Collins, but the downside is the job market can't keep up with the population growth which scares us (from what we've read). I have 5 years of college without a degree (can you say 5 majors?) but am employed by a pharmaceutical company as a chemist and am working toward getting my bachelors in Business Management and hope to get my MBA as well while my company pays for it. My wife has an early childhood teaching degree and is getting her masters in special needs. We're both young (26) and would like to live in a place that's also relatively young and has tons of outdoor activities to do. Our degrees are pretty general so I don't think that should influence our move due to the job markets. Sorry if this is dragging on; I just thought I'd throw it all out there!

With that, can you recommend any other places we should check out? I'm trying to get our itinerary completed soon and want to book all the hotels before we leave so I can get some decent deals on them booking in advance. For example, I don't want to book x amount of nights in Fort Collins if it turns out to be something we aren't interested in. Don't worry, I won't be holding anyone accountable at all if our opinions differ!

Aside from checking out places to live, can you recommend any fun activities we should check out? We're definately going to visit the Rocky Mountain National Park and also wanted to do some white water rafting. I would also love to rent some 4-wheelers somewhere and take them out in the hills/mountains.

Sorry for the lengthy message. Any help you can give us is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited April 2007
    The West suburbs of Denver are nice....Like Arvada, Wheatridge, Broomfield, and Boulder. I was born and raised in Colorado (Graduated from Arvada West), and I do miss it a lot. If you want mountain "suburbs" but still the proximity of Denver then I would suggest Conifer and Evergreen also. I lived in Conifer for three years and I still miss it to this day.

Seems like a lot of people are moving more southeast...like Parker and Douglas county. A lot of these areas were just getting started when we left.

IF I was young again and was moving to Denver (like you said you are) Then personally I would look into Boulder. Very expensive, but right next to the mountains, PLENTY of outdoor activities to do, and it has a younger feel to it...IE college town.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    I would look at places you can finish the degree. For Chemistry, I'd move to Golden and go to Mines. For Business, South Denver and go to DU (Double bonus going there if you like hockey). CSU (Ft Collins) and CU (Boulder) are pretty good all around schools. I'd do CU if you're really serious about finishing up those degrees. The only issue is that the job market in Denver is mostly on the South end of town.

If you have the time, check out the Western slope. Grand Junction is growing like a weed and is bringing in skilled jobs. They have Mesa Stat community College since you really need to finish a degree. Glenwood is also nice, but no schools that I'm aware of.

Oh, and A-West sucks!!! You and your goofy purple outfits!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2007
    Mazeroth:
    Being a Colorado native and living there until 8.5 years ago you're headed to a great city, but one with warts like every other place.

I'm a huge Ft Collins fan, CSU is vastly underrated as a university. Their vet program is considered #2 in the country. Plus, with Loveland just down the road a few miles you get an outstanding area for artists. keep in mind, it's only 90 minutes to downtown.

As far as the Denver metro area, I grew up in Arvada, definitely suburbia, but only 30 minutes to Boulder from the northside of town. The west side as a whole is nice as is the south. I would avoid Aurora north of Illiff/Evans ave if you'll be buying a home, the area is full of foreclosures from the sub-prime mortgage mess.

And JD is right about them purple A-West'ers. Go Pomona, class of 80!
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2007
    California is a wonderful state to live in, but the traffic is terrible. My GOD, and dont let there be a little rain.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited April 2007
    Holy shnickies you two are rough!!

My sister's graduated from Pomona I think 81 and 82 maybe?

Patton is the last name.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • markmarc
    edited April 2007
    Avalanche:
    My oldest sister graduated from A-West along with both my brother-in-laws, of course Pomona had yet to open.

I'll have to think about Patton name. I would look her up in the yearbook, but they are packed away until we move into a new home.
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
  • Mazeroth
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for all the input so far, guys!

My wife and I have been busy bees the last two nights planning which activities to do and places to check out. So, if anyone else has any suggestions we're all ears!

One other thing we would like to do is go whitewater rafting. We've went a few times and last time we did the Upper and Lower Gulley in WV, which went up to class V rapids. Good times! I think we'd like to do a 3-4 trip so if anyone has any suggestions please speak up!

Thanks!
  • markmarc
    edited April 2007
    The Arkansas River west of Canyon City has some great rapids. I know we did some class IV's as a part of a weekend bachelor party.
    2 Ch. System
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited April 2007
    Arkansas river has plenty of good rafting. I think Brown's Canyon and the Narrowasection are about 3/4. Royal Gorge is a little step up, probably a 4/5 but you get to go through the Royal Gorge, which is nice. Numbers is probably the most aggressive - lot's of fun but you better be prepared!
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited April 2007
    Well don't come to Western Washington it rains here all the time, Oh your not from California then you might like it here and it does not rain all year. Just stay away from Seattle, The rest of the State is great.
  • Mazeroth
    edited April 2007
    Well don't come to Western Washington it rains here all the time, Oh your not from California then you might like it here and it does not rain all year. Just stay away from Seattle, The rest of the State is great.

It's funny you would say to stay away from Seattle. I just logged into my computer to book two flights to Seattle to visit my friend and his fiance with my wife! :D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2007
    Maz, there are a lot of good suggestions. Beware a lot of Colorado is desert. Also, I hope you like both heat and snow because you'll get both. Denver is nice, but like all big cities it has problems. How many NFL players have been shot out there???

Whatever you do, get a job out there before you move. Good luck!
    Carl

• Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited April 2007
    I was somewhat joking about seattle, What I will tell you what ever type of wheather that you have in most states you have in Washington. Washington has the driest spot in the continental US and has the Wetist rainforest less than 50 miles from that spot.

I grew up next to Fort Lewis an Mc Cord Air Force Base and one of the things GI's talk about is going home when they retire most did and returned six months later because they relized they had left heaven behind. If it is a clear day when you fly in you will understand just how wonderful the state is.

Just make sure your friend takes you around the state to see why we love it here.

I left the State for about 12 years and spent time in most the states and 13 countries and realized there was nothing like this state From the Coast to Spokane.

Politics and cost of living does suck though.