Bicycle Carriers

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Seems like more than just a couple of you here go riding and I just picked up a couple mountain bikes for me and my g/f.

Raleigh Mojave 8.0 for me
http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=11&itemid=340
and a 5.5 for her.
http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=11&itemid=339

Anyway, Id rather not just let carry these around in the bed and take the chance of bending a wheel or something, so I was wondering what you guys used to tote around your bikes?

Seems like eBay has em for about $100
I like this one because it allows me to lower my tailgate
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-BIKE-SWING-DOWN-CARRIER-RACK-BICYCLE-RACKS-BALL-MOUNT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33651QQihZ014QQitemZ330106359974QQrdZ1

Is that about norm as far as price goes?

One last question, Wal-Mart has one for a car for about $30. My g/f has an 04 Civic. Are those type any good. It just sort of mounts to the trunk. Seems to me like they wouldnt be that great and might rub the paint which I dont want. Does anyone know if those are worth a crap?

-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• bassaholic
    bassaholic Posts: 315
    edited April 2007
    I have a Sportworks rack. It's kinda pricey but very well put together and very easy to use. I've had mine for over 4 years and it still looks and works like new.http://www.epinions.com/pr-Car_Racks-Sportworks_TranSport_2-Bike_Rear_Rack
    Pioneer SC-37
    RTiA9-fronts
    CSiA6-center
    RT55i-surrounds
    SVS PB13 Ultra & PSW650
    Monster Power 3250 amp
    Monster Power 2250 amp
    Monster Power HDP-2500 surge pro.

Denon 3805,CS400i,RT25i's & FX500i's sitting in the basement collecting dust
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    I had one of those ones for the back of a car a long time ago. They're designed well enough to not rub the paint off at all, so she shoudl be fine.

As far as the pickup, they sell racks that actually go in the bed, and keep the bikes upright in the bed. Can't find a link right now, but I've seen them. Might be a bit of a "cleaner" option.

Enjoy the riding, man. Can't wait for the weather to warm up here so I can get back on the trails myself.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2007
    If you want to put one on the back of the trunk the Saris Bones series (this is what I use) are the best ones hands down. They're incredibly simple to use and you only have to set it up once, aside from strapping it down every time you take the rack off, for one type of car.

bones2lg.jpg

That's the single, double is great, the triple is a little scary, so I'd just get a double.

If you have a hitch -- the hitch racks are by far the best and most secure option overall, but they're not cheap.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited April 2007
    I've got a Yakima hitch rack, which was around $150. As bobman1235 said, there are racks that are meant for truck beds or toolboxes that will keep your bike upright. Check out nashbar.com

http://www.nashbar.com/subcategories.cfm?category=71
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    Im a Yakima man myself. $100 for a 3 bike carrier. Build quality is superb. Dont chince on these cause you dont want your precious new bikes (nice choice on the Raleighs by the way - I ride an M80) hitting the freeway at 70 mph.

As mentioned there are brackets that you can mount to the front bed rail of your truck for like $60 each. You take the front wheel off and mount the bike via the front forks to the bracket.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited April 2007
    Well I have a toolbox, so if i had one of the bed mounted ones, my tail gate would have to be down. Reason why I was asking for the trailer hitch style.

Appreciate all the help though guys, were going to test em out this sunday at the local park that has some trails. Cant wait:D Its been over a year since my last raleigh m60 was stolen...
    -Cody
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2007
    demiurge, i have that rack from my totalled camaro. i have the three bike version. (two bike, imho) it's alright. but i never felt confident with it.

cody, i'm your fullsizechevy.com buddy. this is what i recommend and roll with. went from arizona to california with 3 bikes on this and felt completely stable at higher than highway speeds. and i'm paranoid as a muzza fuzza, so that is saying alot! and yes, the tailgate will open fully. taken two mountain biking buddies of mine with me and it was so nice after the epic ride to be able to sit and relax on the open tailgate! get the foot-operated one, the DX model. (top picture)

it's a four bike rack, but i always take whatever is advertised and subtract one. that way no bikes get all scratched up and what not. oh, and the bikes stay perpendicular to the ground when lowering it. but usually i bungee cord my bike to the main uprights to keep from swaying under acceleration and braking. so i must remember to quickly un-bungee it first.

39-N0001.jpg

racklower1.jpg

untitled1.jpg

untitled.jpg

rearaccess.jpg

http://www.softride.com/product.asp?p=39

again, pics show it's designed more for an SUV, but it works just as well on a fullsize truck when you need to lower the tailgate.

a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. this bike rack is soooo worth it. i got it off of ebay from a seller called seasonal outfitters. right now they are sold out of the foot operated ones. but they are the way to go. 2" hitch and comes with a lock and this rack is friggin' bullet-proof. i'd be willing to bet this thing would stop a rear end collision at 5 mph and not crush my tailgate. 5 mph may not seem like alot, but for a bike rack, or even a friggin' bumper these days, that's also saying alot.

as well, my buddy just has tailgate posts that bolt to your bed right behind the rear window on his gmc sierra that you just remove your front tire and place it on the posts and they are held upright. i don't like that as it takes up your whole bed. good for quick trips, but not for vacations or any extended trips where you'll need to throw your gear in the bed.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited April 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    If you want to put one on the back of the trunk the Saris Bones series (this is what I use) are the best ones hands down. They're incredibly simple to use and you only have to set it up once, aside from strapping it down every time you take the rack off, for one type of car.

bones2lg.jpg

That's the single, double is great, the triple is a little scary, so I'd just get a double.

If you have a hitch -- the hitch racks are by far the best and most secure option overall, but they're not cheap.
    I have a Yakima basic jobby thing but one thing I don't see about this one you linked is how you keep the bikes from swaying like front to back on accel/deceleration.....is there anything to keep them vertical?

I do like the look of it......the yakima does get too close to the trunk and has caused problems in the past that I'm not thrilled with.....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • BIZILL
    edited April 2007
    brett, look closely at the pic, it's the horizontal rubber clamp that is on the underside of the closest arm to you in the pic. it hugs the bike seatpost. with my camaro, i had to order the optional straps that clip onto the top of the hatchback glass. it will scratch/leave marks on whatever the footpads rest on, though they are nicely padded rubber. but they do so on any back rack that is not hitch-mounted.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2007
    I've owned both Thule and Yakima. I will never buy Thule again. What a piece of crap that was. The damned thing literally fell apart on the way to go biking for a week in Whistler. Luckily we were close to an REI, returned the Thule for credit, and upgraded to a Yakima rack.
  • BIZILL
    edited April 2007
    one more thing, mountainbike review ( http://www.mtbr.com/ ) is the best site for product and mtn. bike trail reviews!

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • exalted512
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for all the input guys. Right not, I really just cant afford a $250 bike rack. Its taken me months just to save up for the bike itself, itll take me another 4 months or so to save up for a $250 rack.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to skimp out and when money isnt as tight, I'll opt for the softride foot operated model, but do you guys think one like this will be fine for about a year?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SPRING-SALE-4-BIKE-2-HITCH-RACK-BICYCLE-CAR-CARRIER_W0QQitemZ180104246972QQihZ008QQcategoryZ56200QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I dont plan on taking any trips more than 30 minutes away with them at this point, so Id assume itd be fine, but want you guys' input first. The last thing I want to happen is a grand worth of new bikes falling off the back of my truck, so if you think I'll need it, I'll start saving and just tote them around in the bed for now, but if you think ill be fine with the one I listed, let me know.

Hell, I might end up being able to get the softride if I'm able to get the money together, but right now it doesnt look like it :D I really hate paying for something when I know I'm going to upgrade later but sometimes you have to.

thanks again guys!
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited April 2007
    one more question, found these 2 softride ones on the bay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SOFTRIDE-ACCESS-HD-BICYCLE-HEAVY-DUTY-4-BIKE-RACK-2-H_W0QQitemZ320094934260QQcategoryZ56200QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SOFTRIDE-RACKS-4-BIKE-RACK-ACCESS-PULL-PIN-BICYCLE-2-h_W0QQitemZ320094934160QQcategoryZ56200QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I guess Bizill was talking about the first one? I guess the only difference is the construction...they even use the same pictures...
    -Cody
  • BIZILL
    edited April 2007
    i'm having issues with viewing ebay today. but you already said it best, you don't want to spend money twice to get what you want in the end. a bike rack is not an area to skimp on. your bikes' longevity and even livelihood depend upon a safe means of transport. you will be happy with this rack, i assure you. i've invested many hours of research and found this to be my best bet for my set-up. you have the same set-up as i do. the only other racks i may like better are the hitch racks where the bike wheels slip into the oval rings and are supported by that vs. being held on to by the frame of the bike. but those get rather large and bulky and are more expensive (for the good ones).

this softride is rigid! i could easily do pull/chin ups on this thing. it's heavy and you feel you've gotten your money's worth out of it. it's one of the very few items i've never had buyer's remourse over. but what do i know? i'm the only mf in this world who researches things for hours and still end up regretting.

...but not this.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for posting these guys! I've been digging my mountain bike out to get it ready for some trail riding. I was going to throw it in the back of my SUV, but I think i'll look into the tow hitch rack.

There is a Performance Bike shop close by. Audio purchases have been suspended for the spring/summer!

John
    No excuses!
  • BIZILL
    edited April 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »

neither of these are the foot-operated one. they are both pull-pins, and the first one being the heavy duty model. don't know why they'd need a heavy duty one since they are all top-notch. mine would easily hod 2 or 3 of those big-**** downhill mtn. bikes!

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • BIZILL
    edited April 2007
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Thanks for posting these guys! I've been digging my mountain bike out to get it ready for some trail riding. I was going to throw it in the back of my SUV, but I think i'll look into the tow hitch rack.

There is a Performance Bike shop close by. Audio purchases have been suspended for the spring/summer!

John

they are awesome, for certain products.

btw, this is the link to the same company that sells on ebay. http://www.seasonaloutfitters.com/category/bikeracksaccessories/

i'd call them to see if they are out of the dx foot-operated model.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited April 2007
    exalted512

If money is tight and you can't afford any of the nice products suggested just get a couple of old blankets. Lay a blanket on the truck bed, take the front wheels off and lay the bike on the blanket, put the blanket over the bike and lay the second bike gently on the blanket. Finally lay the third blanket over every thing and put the front wheels in. You will be about to do this in 2 minutes with a little practice.
  • BIZILL
    edited April 2007
    bikezappa wrote: »
    exalted512

If money is tight and you can't afford any of the nice products suggested just get a couple of old blankets. Lay a blanket on the truck bed, take the front wheels off and lay the bike on the blanket, put the blanket over the bike and lay the second bike gently on the blanket. Finally lay the third blanket over every thing and put the front wheels in. You will be about to do this in 2 minutes with a little practice.

yeah, but then drive your truck like miss daisy so as not to have the bikes and truck bed get scratched. those pedals will eat through the blankets if not careful.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited April 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    yeah, but then drive your truck like miss daisy so as not to have the bikes and truck bed get scratched. those pedals will eat through the blankets if not careful.

You are right but these are mtn bikes and all the pedals should be scratched up real good. Grin.

A rug on the bottom is also an option.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2007
    I dont care about the bikes getting scratched, nor the inside of the bed...thats what beds are for:)

My main concern is something getting bent, i.e. a pedal in a spoke or something of that nature.
    -Cody