So My TV Crapped Out......

Bill Ayotte
Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
So I wake up this morning to find that after owning this TV for about SIX MONTHS the bulb went out. After spending about 2 hours on the phone with Circuit Shi$$y I finally am able to get the number of the guy they contact repairs to in the area.....Only to make an appointment about 4 days from now.....I am really hoping it is something that totals out the TV, because the replacement value on it through the "protection plan" is $2400, and I paid $1100.....That would be nice. Damn DLP.:mad: :(
Post edited by Bill Ayotte on

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited April 2007
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just a few questions if I could, I know little more then Jack about DLP.

My believe is that the bulb needs to cool off when the set is turn off, (there's a small fan that runs when first off) so my questions is do you have power issues at your house? Brown outs or Black outs?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2007
    If its just the bulb that went out, they should be able to replace that for a couple hundred bucks.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited April 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    If its just the bulb that went out, they should be able to replace that for a couple hundred bucks.

Yeah.:confused:
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2007
    Dlp Ftl! Crt Ftw! :d
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited April 2007
    Was it a Samsung? My friends bulb went out after 4 weeks.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited April 2007
    My buddy has a Toshiba that is less than a year old and the same thing happened. He called Toshiba; they said it was a common problem for DLP's (lasts 200 hours or so). They sent a replacement and he fixed it in 10 minutes. Good thing he bought the extended warranty!!!!

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    Was it a Samsung? My friends bulb went out after 4 weeks.

In fact it was....Thank god for the CC warranty...It is all free!
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just a few questions if I could, I know little more then Jack about DLP.

My believe is that the bulb needs to cool off when the set is turn off, (there's a small fan that runs when first off) so my questions is do you have power issues at your house? Brown outs or Black outs?

I don't have any of those problems, but I rarely hear the fan come on because the room it is in is pretty cool temperature wise.....It never really gets that hot....It just stopped the other night while I was trying to demo my shiznit to my date.....NOT COOL at all:mad:

The CC warranty is pretty cool, I spent about an hour on the phone with them...She basically told me that the repair guy could come out and tell them it is broken, then they cut me a store credit for the price of a replacement, not what i paid....So that would be nice. I only paid $1100 for my 50" DLP, and she told me I would receive a credit of about $2400, because they base it on the original price of the TV ($2700) not the clearance price I paid....I would love for this thing to be dead so I could upgrade to 1080P...We will see what pans out...Life is boring around here with no TV or video games though..:(
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2007
    MY Sony LCD did the same thing, after about 4 months though. I presented the Sony Rep with the receipt and they replaced it for free.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    Nice...I am hoping this will happen in a timely fashion....Really sucks not having a TV in the house.....
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2007
    for some reason, a lot of companies original bulbs don't last long at all. JVC is the worst!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    Going on 48 hours with no contact from the repair shop......:mad: :(
    Looks like I might need to break out the a$$hole a little early today.
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited April 2007
    Going on 48 hours with no contact from the repair shop......:mad: :(
    Looks like I might need to break out the a$$hole a little early today.

da da DA da DA da DA da DA

da da DA da DA da DA da DAAAAAA

Dulling Banjos :)
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited April 2007
    we've had so many samsung dlp problems lately from our store
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    I hope it is something that totals the TV so I can just get a new one...