Windows Live OneCare

brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,624
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Do any of y'all use this for virus protection and/or to backup your computers? Like it? Don't? What?

These things used to be sold in Costco and Sams as of a week and a half ago for about $34 and now all of a sudden they're all gone and of the stores that I've been able to talk to the department people, they did a RTV (Return to Vendor) on them and won't be planning on getting any more in.

I need to get something more than the NOD32 that I've been using because it seems to be more passive than anything in terms of protecting things. Lately my laptop will just randomly stop...........cursor stops and it's dead and the only thing I can do is to shut it off and reboot.
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited April 2007
    I used one care for a while and it was nothing spectacular (actually it sucked....robbed my system resources), I also used Nortons for a while. I switched to Bitdefender for my antivirus protection and I am very pleased with its performance. I really like it better than Norton AV. The hourly virus updates are a plus.

Get the stand alone virus program as this is their strength

Here is a link to the software

http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-2145-en--BitDefender-Antivirus-v10.html
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2007
    STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS LIVE ONE CARE.

it has caused big problems for every person I know who has installed and tried using it. I mean it's deadly.. to the point of having to reformat your hard drive.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited April 2007
    I want something that has some backup capabilities built in so I don't have to buy separate software for everything........grrrrr
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2007
    I just switched over to One Care from Norton Internet Security. I switched for the exact reason as you, Brett, plus I need an automated tune-up, in which One Care provided. The install is not smooth at all, and since I put in 3 machines simultaneously, it was a bit frustrating during the install. The install is very finicky. But, now that 3 machines up on One Care, I am actually enjoying the auto backup, tune-up, and update. 2 machines on XP and one on Vista.

FWIW...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2007
    If you want some active protection, this one is free, and I use it:
    http://download.tenebril.com/pub/bin/spycatcher-express.exe

I stopped paying for McAfee a long time ago.