DB series question

cone0
cone0 Posts: 1
edited April 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey guys im a car audio newb...i recently bought a alpine type-r swr 1242d sub with the Alpine MRP-M650 for the amp....my HU is a Pioneer DEH-P4800MP and im looking to get some speakers....ive heard really good things about polk audio speakers and the db6500 and db5250 seemed like some good entry level comps...i listen to anything rock and was told that the db series goes good with my musical preference...while i was looking around i saw the db6501 and db5251 my question has to deal with the difference in those and if one has better SQ than the other etc...so if anyone could help me out id appreciate it a lot:D
Post edited by cone0 on

Comments

• mwh9
    mwh9 Posts: 51
    edited April 2007
    Welcome to Club Polk. Most everyone here is helpful despite the occasional difference of opinion. Even some good humor at times. I have db6500's up front and really like then. I believe that the db series is more like a mid class speaker from other companies though. I'm not sure that Polk makes any low end products. That being said, if you want a great entry level speaker, the db's would be a good choice. This might be a good time to get some at a great price if you can still find some of the db6500's. The new models are the db6501's and db5251's. I believe that they are the same for the most part except in appearance. If someone here has a set of the new one's, maybe they can give you their opinion of them. Before I go any further, this is where the warning goes. ""Warning, this could become an addictive hobby."" And with that being said, if you can not find any of the older db series, the new one's do not cost that much less than the Momo series and this might be a consideration. You are going to want the SR's at some point but like many of us here, you have to start some where. Most importantly, take some time to get other people's opinions and if you can, go some where that you can listen to the different speakers that are available.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    To my limited knowledge, the only difference between the new and old series DB is cosmetic.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited April 2007
    It's look like they changed the mid bass driver cone material for this year's model. So I would bet they have have better bass response than last years model. other than that just cosmetic changes to the grills.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2007
    I find the tweeter on last years models (coaxials) to be on the bright side....
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin