Sonic Craft or other Mills suppliers

heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,160
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
I just upgraded the x-overs in my 5b's. The orignal x-over had a 2.7 ohm 5W resistor in the signal path. The schematic (both) showed the 2.7 as a delete and instead showed a 2.0 ohm. That's what I used and damn these tweets are really "juiced" up now.

Is anyone going to put an order together for x-over parts or other and would you be willing to add a couple resistors to your order? I would of course pay you for them, but I really don't have anything else to purchase and I'd hate to order just 2 pieces.

Let me know if you are getting ready to order parts from a place that carries Mills and perhaps you could help me out.

Thanks

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2007
    Pm me,, I'll be ordering on monday, unless I hear otherwise, I'll add a couple of 2.7/5 watt resistors--george
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2007
    If you are going to use the RDO's I would leave the resistors alone for now. If you are going to stick with the SL2000's you might want to get the 3ohms.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • heiney9
    edited April 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    If you are going to use the RDO's I would leave the resistors alone for now. If you are going to stick with the SL2000's you might want to get the 3ohms.

George has offered to add the resistors to his order :cool: . So I'll have them on hand if I want to experiment with the sl2000. I will probably get the RDO's and everything will be fine, but atleast I wil have the 2.7 ohm in case I need it.

It's very hard for me to wrap my mind around a simple tweeter swap taming these down the degree I expect. They are soooooo forward. I go insane listening to the LSi's and then listening to these. The 2 speakers are so different, it takes a while to get adjusted to one after listening to the other.

I don't expect the 5b's to do everything perfect or to sound like the LSi's, but these need to be less forward on the top end by atleast 30%, if I had to put a quantitative number on it. The 5b's are used in a very live room so that doesn't help one bit. I can't continue to get a headache listening to them, and that's pretty much where I'm at right now after long listening sessions at moderate volume.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2007
    H9 - I think you'll get your 30% with the RDO's. I don't have time this weekend, but maybe next weekend I can either bring over the Mon 10's with the RDO's, or get time to unbox my SDA 2A's and pull the RDO's out of them so you can try them out. I was amazed at the difference the RDO's made! Doug.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • heiney9
    edited April 2007
    dkg999 wrote: »
    H9 - I think you'll get your 30% with the RDO's. I don't have time this weekend, but maybe next weekend I can either bring over the Mon 10's with the RDO's, or get time to unbox my SDA 2A's and pull the RDO's out of them so you can try them out. I was amazed at the difference the RDO's made! Doug.

Doug, that would be awesome if I could use the RDO's from your Sda's. The rest of this speaker has really improved. The midrange clarity, especially the depth, is excellent and the bass is full and tight, it's just that d*mn tweeter that has me all exasperated.

I'll be intouch.

H9