Had a bad week....

shawn474
shawn474 Posts: 3,047
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Well, figured I'd post to alleviate some stress and anxiety. I've had chronic back pain for the last 12 years as a result of a sports injury and finally decided to do something about it so I had a lumbar disc laminectomy (removed a herniated disc) in November. That took care of all of my leg pain and numbness but had some complications in my recovery causing me to seek more opinions. Well after three more opinions from very respected doctors, I have been advised to undergo lumbar fusion to stabilize the vertabrae. All tell me the results are pretty good, but that I am too young to have the amount of degenrative disc disease that is evident on MRI's.

On top of that, the surgery goes through the belly button and there is a 10% chance of me being sterile after surgery :eek: . Needless to say, this is the one thing that would prevent me from doing it now. My wife and I had been discussing another rugrat, but were planning on trying next year. We have now discussed starting now and seeing what happens and if she can't get pregneant, I may have to visit the clinic to donate a little that can be used later.

Just nervous about the possibilities and the way that my life has been affected in the last few years. It's frustrating not being able to do the things that you like to do and are accustomed to doing.

All that being said, I AM VERY THANKFUL FOR MY HEALTH AND FOR WHAT I HAVE!!!! Just needed a place to vent a bit. Thanks.

Shawn
Shawn
AVR: Marantz SR-5011
Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
Front: Polk LsiM703
Rear: LSI fx
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
DVD Player: Sony PS4
Post edited by shawn474 on

Comments

• MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited April 2007
    Shawn,

It will all work out as it's supposed to. Thanks for sharing, and I'll raise a glass to your well being!

Hang in there...
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2007
    Bless you,

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited April 2007
    Hang in there Shawn. Our thoughts are with you bud. All will be well.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2007
    Back pain sucks. Not to be offense, but I can't imagine trying to conceive a child with chronic back pain.

Best of luck to you. As I said, back pain sucks. Hope you can come to a happy result.
  • shawn474
    edited April 2007
    Shizelbs,
    No offense taken dude. That is one of the main things that really is hard to get used to. I have been married for close to nine years; the back pain has reeked havoc on that part of our life and our social life as well.

I appreciate all the kind posts; as I said I am very lucky to have a loving family, great job, friends, etc. I don't want it to seem like I am complaining. Just trying to vent a little and get rid of the anxiety!

Shawn
    Shawn
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    Hang in there Shawn and try to stay positive.

Back pain sucks in the worst way. Back in '98 I tore up my low back in the gym doing squats. I went down and my low back popped. To make this short, I tore the soft tissue around my lowest vertebrae. I felt like I wanted to die! It was the worst pain in the world! Was out of the gym for almost 6 months.

It has healed up since then as I got back to basics and strengthened it along with numerous chiropractor visits.

Shawn, really man, best of luck to you!

John
    No excuses!
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited April 2007
    I can sympothize with you, in 1999 after many pit road wrecks I was diagnoised with degenerative disks
    L3-L4 L4-L5 L5-S1, my doctors gave 50-50 shot at helping with operations.
    Needless to say I didn't go under the knife.
    I still work everyday, I had to give up chasing the cars though.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2007
    Shawn I can really feel your pain. I have the same problem that you have and my Dr wants me to go through the same surgury. I am in pain 24 hours a day. Most of the time its bearable and dont even notice it (thats how used to it i got) Then there soem days I will throw my back out and im shot for the next 2 weeks. I have been delaying the surgury personally as I can deal with the pain 90% of the time. When that figure gets less I will then get the operation. Hang in there and I hope everything goes well. A friend of mine had the same surgury as well so if you have any specific questions shoot me a PM and I will ask him for ya.

Dave
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited April 2007
    I've been very lucky to never experience a long term back problem, all I can do is empathize. Prayers be w/you and hang in.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2007
    Shawn:
    You're definitely thinking right with getting multiple opinions, and making a donation or two just in case. My wife had to stop after 1 kid (she was widowed) due to severe childhood scoliosis. It bothered her for years that she couldn't give me a child of my own. So, be grateful and not the least bit embarassed to do what needs to be done.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited April 2007
    Good luck Shawn and hang in there. I am sure it will be ok and your pain will be gone.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2007
    Shawn - I'm thinking that you and I stalking some female joggers on the trail behind our houses would put you in a better mood. I have a great hiding place.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2007
    Wishing the best for you Shawn.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2007
    Hang in there Shawn!
    Carl

• shawn474
    edited April 2007
    It's all actually pretty ironic. I work in sports medicine and spend my time rehabbing sports injuries for a living. It's a lot different when you're on the table instead of telling people what to do. It has actually given me great perspective and taught me a lot. That's the silver lining, I guess.

Again, thanks so much for the well wishes........and Mark let me know where that hiding place is, man! LOL

Shawn
    Shawn