Need recommendation on surround speakers

dvdlovr24
dvdlovr24 Posts: 4
edited August 2002 in Speakers
I'm upgrading my current Polk system from RT35s in the front and CS245 center. I'm gonna go with RTi70s and a CSi40. I am running a 6.1 setup and currently have 3 RTi25s for my surrounds. What would you guys recommend for my surrounds? Would you go with RTi70s for the surrounds, the Fxi30s, or keep what I have now? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Jonathan
Post edited by dvdlovr24 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Stereophile recommended RT25i's sound good to me.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dvdlovr24
    edited August 2002
    Thanks for the fast reply! Please keep your opinions coming.

Jonathan
  • EJ
    EJ Posts: 42
    edited August 2002
    I have cs400 center, rt2000 mains and have gone with rt35i's for R L and rear surrounds. I am very happy with the result.

Regards
    EJ
  • seaslug
    seaslug Posts: 23
    edited August 2002
    I originally had RT35i's as L/R surrounds in my 6.1 setup, but I found that I actually like the smaller f/x300i's (dipole) better. To me, the diffuse sound of bipole/dipole surround speakers makes for a more satisfying HT experience than having direct-radiating speakers constantly reminding you that they are there. Of course, I would recommend a direct-radiating speaker for the rear surround...perhaps your CS245. Anyway, for your system, I would say go with the FXi30's if you don't mind spending the money. I think you'll be happy with the results.

Receiver -- Onkyo TX-DS797
    Mains -- RT800i's (bi-wired)
    Center -- CS400i (bi-wired)
    L/R Surrounds -- f/x300i's
    Rear Surround -- CS245i
    Sub -- PSW450
    "The unexamined life is not worth living." -- Socrates
  • dvdlovr24
    edited August 2002
    Anybody else have an opinion?

Jonathan
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2002
    Another option would be to move the 35s to the back side surrounds and the 245 to the rear center. Or leave the 25s as back surrounds and put the 245 as the rear center with them. Play around with different combos of the speakers you have. The 25s have gotten consisitently good reviews over the years and the 35s are no slouch either. Before I would spend any more money I would see how good I could get what I have to sound.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dvdlovr24
    edited August 2002
    What do you guys think about FXi30s for the left and right and a 25i for the center?
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2002
    I would still use the 245 as the rear center if you get the FX130s.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson