Windows Stop Error

hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
I am having problems with XP occasionally stopping. I've spoken to the GEEK Squad as they were the firm to do the initial work on my new computer. Their answer to the problem is to restore Windows but the problem has existed since I first brought the PC home so I'm of the opinion that it is a hardware or drive conflict and would like some ideas as to how to make that determination.

Here is the post that I have the picture of the stop screen. If anyone can help me out here I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Joe:)
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2007
    That stop message is a clusterF. There are implications of hardware and firmware being the problem including bad RAM, audio cards and DirectX. It dates back to 2002 and maybe further.

I have seen new RAM fail. Try Memtest to test it. Download the floppy and reboot.

If your RAM passes the test, check for new driver updates for your motherboard, video card, audio card, and DirectX.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,710
    edited April 2007
    I've seen those with bad memory and with driver incompatibilities. Also, sometimes, its just that certain hardware doesn't like to work with other hardware.

I agree that a restore will not help your situation. These problems are very difficult to troubleshoot, especially if they don't happen very often. Start with Memtest. Let it run for a day straight see what you get.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Polk65 wrote: »
    That stop message is a clusterF. There are implications of hardware and firmware being the problem including bad RAM, audio cards and DirectX. It dates back to 2002 and maybe further.

I have seen new RAM fail. Try Memtest to test it. Download the floppy and reboot.

If your RAM passes the test, check for new driver updates for your motherboard, video card, audio card, and DirectX.

Steve you must have me confused with someone who is up on PCs. I went to the Memtest86 site and there are about a million links to click:confused: Also floppy drive??? Since when are they still bundled in with new PCs? LOL I don't have one.
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    billbillw wrote: »
    I've seen those with bad memory and with driver incompatibilities. Also, sometimes, its just that certain hardware doesn't like to work with other hardware.

I agree that a restore will not help your situation. These problems are very difficult to troubleshoot, especially if they don't happen very often. Start with Memtest. Let it run for a day straight see what you get.

Thanks Bill but EFF that I'll bring it back an make the geeks at geek squad trouble shoot the problem instead of restoring the OS. Like I said this has been going on since day one of me taking it home from Best Buys.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited April 2007
    what kind of PC? Do you have any 3rd party devices installed on the computer?(maybe you put in a digital camera or something or printer on the first day)

Do you notice it happening after you do anything specific? Like open email or some software....

Last statistic I read was 85% of all Windows XP blue screens are resulted from 3rd party drivers.

Get a friend who is good with PC's to troubleshoot it for you.....Geek Squad is a rip off!
  • sophie
    sophie Posts: 511
    edited April 2007
    i can send you a linux live cd with mem test on it, but i dont think that the memery is bad
    Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
    Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    what kind of PC? Do you have any 3rd party devices installed on the computer?(maybe you put in a digital camera or something or printer on the first day)

It is an E-machine, Audiobliss already broke my stones about that. What I had done by the Geek Squad via Best Buys when I purchased it was; add 512 more ram, install my old emachine hard drive as the slave, Webroot Spysweeper and P Cillin virus protection installed. It came with a Cannon Pixma MP160US all in one but on the first day I installed my old Lexmark z11 printer on it so I can use up all the ink cartrdges I have for it. Other than that I connected a piece of junk Logitech optical mouse which pisses me off every day LOL.
    Do you notice it happening after you do anything specific? Like open email or some software....

Nope it seems totally random. However, I always have IE 7 up when XP stops. I deinstalled IE7, the Z11, the mouse, the keyboard and reinstalled.

There is one thing I forgot to mention, sometimes when I boot up, or when I take the PC out of sleep mode the PC doesn't see the keyboard and I have to reboot. The keyboard came with the PC and I've changed that out with a new Dell keyboard with the same results.
    Last statistic I read was 85% of all Windows XP blue screens are resulted from 3rd party drivers.

That being said do you think this is just an annoyance to put up with or that the OS is actually corrupted and getting worse?
    Get a friend who is good with PC's to troubleshoot it for you.....Geek Squad is a rip off!

The Geek Squad is stationed at the Best Buys where I bought this and part of the deal is that they have to fix the problems free. The reason I haven't brought it back to them is because all the times I spoke with one of their techs, they seem to want to take the easy way out and restore the OS which I know isn't going to fix the problem because as I said it has been behaving like this from the get go. Heck I can do the restore myself if need be I just don't want to nor do I see the need.

BTW thanks for the help.:)
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited April 2007
    Try running your Windows XP disc and choosing Repair your copy of Windows XP.

If your keyboard is a USB keyboard that is why your computer is having trouble seeing it on standby mode. Try getting one of those ps2 to usb adapters and plug it in the ps2 port.

I wish i could loan you this all inclusive utility CD i have, it has all kinds of diagnostic utilities on it as well as utilities to repair. See if you can borrow a utility CD calls "Hiren's Utilities" from somewhere.
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Try running your Windows XP disc and choosing Repair your copy of Windows XP.

I'll give it a shot. Actually they didn't give me a disc I think they partitioned my C drive and put it there. Yep I just checked Local Disk D: recovery partition.
    If your keyboard is a USB keyboard that is why your computer is having trouble seeing it on standby mode. Try getting one of those ps2 to usb adapters and plug it in the ps2 port.

The keyboard is a ps2.
    I wish i could loan you this all inclusive utility CD i have, it has all kinds of diagnostic utilities on it as well as utilities to repair. See if you can borrow a utility CD calls "Hiren's Utilities" from somewhere.

I know someone who might have the utilities I need.

Thanks for all your help.:)
  • sophie
    sophie Posts: 511
    edited April 2007
    I know someone who might have the utilities I need.

Thanks for all your help.:)

ask if they have a XP disk, then you could do the repair someone els said.
    Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
    Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited April 2007
    I am getting that message on one of our laptops right now. I tried everything and wound up taking it to a repair shop. They said it looks like spy ware from the kids downloading from limewire.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880