Windows XP Corrupted

hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
This PC is pretty new and since I got it home every so often I get the blue screen warning of the stop. So I know at some point (very soon) I'm going to have to do a restore. . . I eff hate Microsoft sometimes. . .any how when I got the last automatic updates installed I started getting the error pictured below and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this one.

Thanks,
Joe
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited April 2007
    When I saw the latest update was to check for legal Windows, I canceled it immediately. Seemed like nothing but trouble to me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    I'm personally amazed that Jesse has a computer. I picture him down in the basement hammering his grocery list into a stone tablet.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2007
    Here is some of the information that I found

rthdcpl.exe is a process belonging to the Realtek HD Audio Control Panel and is bundled alongside Realtek sound cards and audio hardware. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

Probably you soundcard is a realtek card and mabye reinstalling the drvers migght help. I will do some more research for you.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2007
    Joe here is the link from Microsoft. It came with the last windows update. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=74AD4188-3131-429C-8FCB-F7B3B0FD3D86&displaylang=en you can try removing the latest update and see if that fixes it or there is a hotfix that you can download from microsoft. Hope this helps.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2007
    Some discussion about it over here. The patch seems to work.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2007
    Can someone explain to this stone carving SOB why in the hell I'd want to download the update to check if my copy of Windows is legal???

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited April 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    Can someone explain to this stone carving SOB why in the hell I'd want to download the update to check if my copy of Windows is legal???

Microsoft had a vendetta against illegal copies and thus wants to assure that working copies are legal.

Personally, I don't care about the updates. As long as you have service pack 2, you should be pretty good.

Ben62670 can probably chime in with a more professional answer.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • F1nut
    edited April 2007
    Thanks, that's what I thought and since I know my copy is legal, screw MS.

President of Club Polk

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited April 2007
    .... :d
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2007
    Their Legal checking software disabled many legal OS's. Brother run a computer shop and this is the best thing to happen to computer shop because it adds more business. MS software legal check not a well thought out idea.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2007
    I downloaded that update & had no problems.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited April 2007
    Fireman's link will fix that error. Or you can run msconfig, and disable the Realtek control panel from loading on startup.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I downloaded that update & had no problems.

Plenty of people obviously didn't have a problem, BUT the fact that anyone who had a legal copy of windows had a problem says that the entire enterprise is a bad idea.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2007
    There are legions of retail and oem computer owners with realtek audio cards. It's not like realtek was invented yesterday. Realtek embedded motherboards and separate audio cards have been around long enough for Microsoft tools to figure ways around problems like this.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited April 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Plenty of people obviously didn't have a problem, BUT the fact that anyone who had a legal copy of windows had a problem says that the entire enterprise is a bad idea.

I have three fully legal versions of Windows (came with my hp Notebook and Dell PC), yet Microsoft says one of the PCs (hp Media Center) is not legal!

The solution was to install a patch from HP and then run the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification update again.

Still puzzles me why a LEGAL version of windows from the computer manufacturer came up as illegal! I never use illegal software.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,569
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for bringing this up, mine was just displaying this message. I installed the patch though.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Polk65 wrote: »
    Some discussion about it over here. The patch seems to work.

This hotfix worked!!! Thanks to all for helping me out.

Now if I can figure out what is causing this blue screen stop message. I spoke to the GEEK Squad who did the initial installion on this computer and of course, as is all busy tech's replies, is to restore the system. EFFF that if I don't have to. It seems like some type of hardware or driver conflict. Here are pics of the stop screen. If anyone has any thoughts on this one I would greatly appreciate it.
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    I have three fully legal versions of Windows (came with my hp Notebook and Dell PC), yet Microsoft says one of the PCs (hp Media Center) is not legal!

The solution was to install a patch from HP and then run the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification update again.

Still puzzles me why a LEGAL version of windows from the computer manufacturer came up as illegal! I never use illegal software.

I have two cousins that have legal copies of XP on their PCs and they both keep getting that aggrevating message about "getting genuine." Microsoft was called on both accounts and they said there is nothing they can do about it that the copies they have MUST be illegal. Both have the original OS package with the orginal key. . .sometimes I hate Microsoft!!!:mad:
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited April 2007
    The copies that come up as "not being genuine" are usually OEM copies from my experience. Since they were pre-installed by the computer manufacturer (Dell, HP, Compaq) they are a bit different from the retail version of XP.

I have never had the problem with any of my retail copies of XP, but the ones that came with my HP laptop and Dell PC are bundled and do exhibit this problem.

How can Microsoft say a FULLY LEGAL copy that came bundled with the PC is illegal?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    The copies that come up as "not being genuine" are usually OEM copies from my experience. Since they were pre-installed by the computer manufacturer (Dell, HP, Compaq) they are a bit different from the retail version of XP.

I have never had the problem with any of my retail copies of XP, but the ones that came with my HP laptop and Dell PC are bundled and do exhibit this problem.

How can Microsoft say a FULLY LEGAL copy that came bundled with the PC is illegal?

My point exactly!!! but it goes further. Their attitude is, it is your problem if our genuine trap says your copy is not legal, even if it is.
  • WilliamM2
    edited April 2007
    Hearing, in my experience, that blue screen is usually caused by bad memory, bad video card drivers, or even a bad video card. More info below.

Stop 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA - The Stop 0x50 message indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages.
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    Hearing, in my experience, that blue screen is usually caused by bad memory, bad video card drivers, or even a bad video card. More info below.

Stop 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA - The Stop 0x50 message indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages.

Thanks Bro, I need to bring this PC back and get them to fix it. So by this you are saying there is a definite hardware problem and that makes sense because when I purchased the PC I had them double the memory to a gig. So the only thing that was new to the machine was the memory stick. If the video card or drivers were shot wouldn't I have problems with my display?
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

Loading it up on a laptop as I post this.

John
    No excuses!
  • WilliamM2
    edited April 2007
    SUSE won't help him much if he has a bad stick of memory.:rolleyes:

Hearing, It may be a bad stick of memory, or the two sticks in there now may just not work well together. Some motherboards are also fussy about what kind of ram is installed. It's best to always install sticks in matched pairs if possible.

Try running memtest, that should tell you if the ram is okay or not. It's free:
    http://www.memtest.org/
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    SUSE won't help him much if he has a bad stick of memory.:rolleyes:

No DUH Sherlock! :rolleyes:

That was directed to the individuals tired of **** with Windows. There are other FREE LEGAL options out there.

John
    No excuses!
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited April 2007
    I too had a problem with this update. It is now fixed. We backed up all files, shut down windows, disconnected the hard drive and waited 5 minutes re connected, powered back up turned of windows update and wha lah....no problems! :)
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)