Global Warming on Mars?

Strong Bad
Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
So, how long will it take Al Gore to blame the Mars Rover for the Global Warming problem on Mars? ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070404/sc_space/duststormsfuelglobalwarmingonmars

John
No excuses!
Post edited by Strong Bad on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    This will be fun! I'll throw a log on the fire as well:

How come everything you hear about global warming is bad. Think about it, when was the last time someone said "think of all the new species that will evolve to fit the new climate" or " hey, with Russia's permafrost melted, it can become the breadbasket of the world!" or "The African deserts will become arable and starvation and poverty there will be solved"

No, it's always hurricanes this, ice bergs that, poor little polar bears won't have to freeze their asses off every winter. What a bunch of whiners!

Actually though the global warming advocates needed some research to say something other than the sun was causing the martian ice caps to melt, otherwise their own theories are out on their asses. It's not a surprising study at all.

Kind of a kawinkydink that martian temps raised the same amount as Earth's, eh?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited April 2007
    I find it funny that John Travolta chimed in with his take on global warming and something should be done about it. He mentioned other planets or domed cities as a cure... I think he owns what, 4 or 5 planes\jets and one of them is a Boeing 707

hhmmmmm

Those that are speaking about global warming are usually the biggest consumers of fuel\power or they are getting a **** load in grant money to act as puppets. All this nonsense will disappear after the 08 election or at least the hype anyway... Gore will continue his quest because he's making a ton of money off of it.
  • pmckeealaska
    pmckeealaska Posts: 808
    edited April 2007
    Actually, the folks whose job it is to know about and study climate change have talked about possible positive outcomes to climate change. The IPCC (International Panel on Climate Change) has released several volumes on this issue. It is made up of climatologists, geologists, biologist, glaciologists, etc. They have talked about range expansion for some species, and increased agricultural cpacity in some areas. However, most of the anticipated changes are not so good. Without going into a long discussion, let me address some of the issues that have already been brought up in this thread:

1. Russias permafrost melting and it becoming a "breadbasket". Not going to happen!! Here in Alaska, the northern half of the state is nothing but permafrost. If that stuff melts it will create a giant mucky mess; a big mud pit. In addition, all of that ice holds huge amounts of carbon, which would be released into the atmosphere, causing even greater warming (and believe me, it has been getting warmer here at the poles in the 20 years i've been here....that is a fact).

2. The African deserts will not become more arable. In fact the rate of desertification has increased in the last 50 years, not decreased.

Now, believe me, I'm not one to say that this is a huge catastrophy that we are facing, but the VAST majority of the scientific community believes that this is a threat to our way of life. They are the ones who get paid to know about these things, yet becuae it is such a political issue, somehow they are seen to be liberal cooks for some reason. And I see a lot of conservative folks out there talking about how Gore, Travolta, et al. live in huge houses, use up lots of energy, etc. and are hypocrites. You know what? They are absolutely right! BUT, does that make the issue of global climate change any less valid? I mean, sure, point out the falacy of the PEOPLE, but don't use it as a way to knock the underlying principle of what the scientific community is talking about. People who do that generally do it because the issue doesnt jive with the way they look at the world politically. Warming is a fact, not a theory. It is happening, and we need to decide how best to use limited resources to deal with it in a prudent, cogent matter. Does that make sense?
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited April 2007
    Vast majority of the scientific comunity??Seems to me every day more and more scientist come out against GW. There are forces of nature beyond anyones control at work.Your right,warming is a fact,so is cooling,remember the 70's when the big ice age was at our doorstep?GW is laughable at best and to think you or I can stop it is even more so.Gore and Travolta are ideots with the whole country laughing at them.Sheeeez!!This subject has been covered more times than I care to recall.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2007
    How do we know the sun isn't just putting out more heat? It seems that would explain other planets also experiencing climate change?
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • m00npie
    edited April 2007
    I'm a conservative, I point out that they are hypocrites because I can. I recycle, I have a car that gets 50 MPG, use Public transportation whenever I can, and the list goes on... I'll break it down to the fluorescent light bulbs throughout the house and Corn based burner replacing the oil burner if you want. Ok, so maybe my Class A or AB amp is not efficient, but if someone were to prove to me that class D amp, which I believe is efficient, can reproduce sound as good as the A, then I’ll buy one.

20 years... 50 years, is not enough time to determine if this warming trend is nothing more than a cycle. If we had 1000 years of data to compare it against, perhaps I would listen more. If everyone is still harping on this in 10 years they way they are now, perhaps I will start to believe that these folks simply don’t have an agenda to fill to justify their grant money. In the meantime, I'm already doing my part.... what about the all folks that believe in the crisis right now?
  • pmckeealaska
    pmckeealaska Posts: 808
    edited April 2007
    TonyB...yes, I did say the VAST majority of scientists. You know why? Because most do agree that this is a fact. There is no debate on global warming in the scientific community in terms of whether or not it is happening. The debate is what are the major causal factors. To deny that it is happening is just silly. Have you done any independent research on this matter yourself, or do you just go on what you get from the media? Think for yourself man. I think my last post was pretty reasonable. If you want to think there is a debate in the scientific community feel free, but that is simply not reality. Thats like saying scientists still are debating evolution, which, they are not.
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited April 2007
    It's probably due to the Martian in Bugs Bunny having finally found his ATOMIC MODULATOR.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Sansui
    Sansui Posts: 372
    edited April 2007
    I'm just happy that Al Gore invented the internet (he told us so years ago). Because of him, we can have enjoyable exchanges of messages and quick access to all sorts of information...
    Be gentle, I'm new to all this...

The mind blowing speed of the BRAIN TRAIN...
  • tonyb
    edited April 2007
    TonyB...yes, I did say the VAST majority of scientists. You know why? Because most do agree that this is a fact. There is no debate on global warming in the scientific community in terms of whether or not it is happening. The debate is what are the major causal factors. To deny that it is happening is just silly. Have you done any independent research on this matter yourself, or do you just go on what you get from the media? Think for yourself man. I think my last post was pretty reasonable. If you want to think there is a debate in the scientific community feel free, but that is simply not reality. Thats like saying scientists still are debating evolution, which, they are not.

I don't think anyone is debateing the planet is getting warmer,the debate lies in the cause,and this is where the scientific community varies greatly.Just as many have come out to debunk the human cause.Read up,you will find all sorts of stuff.Not to say it's all true because I'M a firm believer in quacks in all professions.If I have time,I'll dig some up for you.But by you driveing a hybrid car is in no way going to reverse global warming.If you believe that then I have some shares in the Golden Gate bridge to sell ya.Wait ten maybe 20 years and the scientific community will hold a meeting at the United Nations on what to do now,'cause the world is cooling.All bunk for grant money.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited April 2007
    It's probably due to the Martian in Bugs Bunny having finally found his ATOMIC MODULATOR.

I FORGOT ALL ABOUT THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YOUR ABSOLUTLY RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007

Thats right, I forgot about the "Illedium Q45 Explosive Space Modulator." See what just one of those will do to an entire planet. Almost as bad as the Death Star's main weapon. :rolleyes: Ya know, the moon sort of resembles the Death Star, except not so pretty on the outside. Maybe the Stormtroopers are working from the inside out and we'll be blown to bits soon. Then we won't have to worry about Al Gore.

Hmmm...maybe he's the Emperor in disguise and is secretly funneling supplies up to them....:D

Conspiracy theories anyone?

John
    No excuses!
  • jdhdiggs
    edited April 2007
    Alaska: It was a tongue in cheek JOKE poking fun at all the doomsday folks!!! Nobody knows exactly what will happen. Just because Alaska's ground is one way doesn't mean a 4,000 x 1,000 mile stretch of land on the other side of the world will be the same.

Aslo, when the planet was substantially warmer than it is now (5-6,000 yrs ago) the deserts in Africa were quit fertile. Can you garauntee that if the climate warmed again this wouldn't happen again?

Also, there isn't a true consensus that global warming is even occuring. Then, those who think it is occuring, there's the group that doesn't think it's significant and will return to normal on its own. Of those remaining who don't believe that, they then debate the cause. Then there's the next position of is it too late to fix anything.

In the end, I would guess that, of the credible scientists studying the phenomenon/theory, only maybe 20-30% would actually believe that: global warming exists, it's caused by man, it is significant, and it's not too late to do something about it.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • m00npie
    edited April 2007
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Hmmm...maybe he's the Emperor in disguise and is secretly funneling supplies up to them....:D John

There are always two, the master and the apprentice...Who would be his apprentice?
  • davidk0512
    davidk0512 Posts: 157
    edited April 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    This will be fun! I'll throw a log on the fire as well:

How come everything you hear about global warming is bad. Think about it, when was the last time someone said "think of all the new species that will evolve to fit the new climate" or " hey, with Russia's permafrost melted, it can become the breadbasket of the world!" or "The African deserts will become arable and starvation and poverty there will be solved"

No, it's always hurricanes this, ice bergs that, poor little polar bears won't have to freeze their asses off every winter. What a bunch of whiners!

Actually though the global warming advocates needed some research to say something other than the sun was causing the martian ice caps to melt, otherwise their own theories are out on their asses. It's not a surprising study at all.

Kind of a kawinkydink that martian temps raised the same amount as Earth's, eh?

Excellent points, I heard Rush make similar points a while back. Also, hasn't the earth been warming ever since the ice age?
    David
  • jdhdiggs
    edited April 2007
    Oh lord, I really don't want to be associated with that goofball...