S/N ratio really important?

Meeks32
Meeks32 Posts: 330
edited April 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Im looking to buy a new 4 channel amp since my old eclipse has a channel cutting out. Ive been looking at deals on ebay for new amps around $275 or lower & alot out there have pretty poor s/n ratios. I thought I found a good deal on a MTX & JBL amp but the they have s/n ratio's under 80. Does this really matter much? I know higher is better & understand what the reading means but is there really an audible difference between those & say a nakamichi or older ppi with 100+ readings?
Post edited by Meeks32 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    Those amps are rated using the CEA2006 specs which rates things with uniform standards. I dont know the exact reason why but everybodys SNR rating dropped considerably when going to this.

However, I dont think they matter as long as youre dealing with major brands. Theyre all going to have SNR well above the audible range.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2007
    what the hell?

All the MTX gear was in the 100 - 110 db range of S/N ratio last time that I took the time to check.

Although, I believe it was always subscripted as "A Weighted" - whatever the hell that means.

80 db seems like junkity junk, but, if its 'unweighted', then maybe that's about right. I have not noticed any more noise in the output of new MTX amps as opposed to old ones.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited April 2007
    Don't worry about SNR on decent amps like MTX and JBL.

The reason for the drop in numbers is that people were measuring the noise and then the signal level at full power. CEA2006 says you have to measure the signal at 1W to keep everything uniform. So yea... the signal level difference between 1W and 500W is a tad bit different. Just a smidge.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2007
    strong you are in ways of the force
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited April 2007
    I have to deal with the force every day... just call me practiced :)
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk