Scam on EBAY!!!!

hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
This is a scam, do not even consider it.

This is the table that I just purchased. This is the guy who almost scammed me twice this past summer.

One was a Mark Levinson amp the other a VPI Super Scoutmaster. What he does is he puts as the location of the unit "Dorchester Mass." After you win the auction he tells you that he and his wife just recently split up and he had to move back to Nottingham England, because of that he will pay for the shipping. Then he tells you that he hired a freight company and a third party. All you have to do is wire the money Western Union to the third party, the third party will hold the money until you receive your goods and you have seven days to check out the goods. When you are completely satified, you then notify the third party and they will release the money to the seller.

I tracked and shadowed this thief for months on ebay and exposed every scam he put up there after a while he disappeared , well he is back!!!

And how ironic that the piece of SHITE is using pictures of a turntable/tonearm/cartridge that I just purchased, he just touched them up. . . .this is not a coincidence this was guided from Above.
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2007
    Hmmmm, our sister company is HQ'd out of Nottingham UK. You should of told him you would do local pick-up and I would send one of the audio enthusiast that has taken me to some higher-end stores in the UK over to check it out :rolleyes:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited April 2007
    Wow! Way to go get'em, hearing! Thanks for watching out for the rest of us out there.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited April 2007
    I hope you informed eBay about this thief. I detest people like that.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited April 2007
    This is a scam, do not even consider it.

This is the table that I just purchased. This is the guy who almost scammed me twice this past summer.

One was a Mark Levinson amp the other a VPI Super Scoutmaster. What he does is he puts as the location of the unit "Dorchester Mass." After you win the auction he tells you that he and his wife just recently split up and he had to move back to Nottingham England, because of that he will pay for the shipping. Then he tells you that he hired a freight company and a third party. All you have to do is wire the money Western Union to the third party, the third party will hold the money until you receive your goods and you have seven days to check out the goods. When you are completely satified, you then notify the third party and they will release the money to the seller.

I tracked and shadowed this thief for months on ebay and exposed every scam he put up there after a while he disappeared , well he is back!!!

And how ironic that the piece of SHITE is using pictures of a turntable/tonearm/cartridge that I just purchased, he just touched them up. . . .this is not a coincidence this was guided from Above.

if I saw that response about his wife and moving and stuff, flags would have gone up all over my head...can't believe that kinda stuff still works on people..

I just had a real good time emailing a Nigerian guy who wanted to buy some stuff from Craigslist...

the emails back and forth were priceless...good comedy

his final email said, "you think I am for joke?"..

no sir...you ARE a joke;)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    Western Union to a third party?

That pretty much sums it up, no? Are people really that dense?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VSchneider
    VSchneider Posts: 443
    edited April 2007
    krabby5 wrote:
    I just had a real good time emailing a Nigerian guy who wanted to buy some stuff from Craigslist...
    I don't have much experience with Craigslist, but the first email responses to everything I posted (AV stuff) so far came from a country 5-12 time zones away. And yes, I usually enjoy these very much. Too much fun, and so obvious.
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Western Union to a third party?

That pretty much sums it up, no? Are people really that dense?

That was my big flashing red light!!! He went way way overboard too with scanned copies of waybills, contracts with the third party copies, phone numbers etc. I had won a bid for a Levinson 333 for $3300 (wow I just realized the similarity) and this **** clown was going to ship this 150 lb amp for free from England!!!
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2007
    Is he selling under the same User ID that he tried to rip you off with? If so how has he managed to maintain his feedback?

Just curious.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    cmy330go wrote:
    Is he selling under the same User ID that he tried to rip you off with? If so how has he managed to maintain his feedback?

Just curious.

No way. He somehow manages to use a different screen name and gets bogus numbers, how he does it is beyond me. The problem is that every once in a while he scores someone new who isn't familiar with doing business on ebay hence the Western Union or money order thing.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2007
    No way. He somehow manages to use a different screen name and gets bogus numbers, how he does it is beyond me. The problem is that every once in a while he scores someone new who isn't familiar with doing business on ebay hence the Western Union or money order thing.

OK....So how have you been able to track him?
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited April 2007
    Item location: dorchester, MA, United States

That's about 10 minutes from me........and I'm sure as hell as not going there until I get my CCW(or whatever you people call it)

Do you think the item is here?
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited April 2007
    dkg999 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, our sister company is HQ'd out of Nottingham UK.

Doug, could they get me a deal on a heavy platter kit for my Nottingham Space Deck?:D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    cmy330go wrote: »
    OK....So how have you been able to track him?

I was on this guy from August to October 06. He had an obvious MO. He was easy to find because he kept putting up the same products under different names, touching up the pictures like he did here or would post "contact me by email" messages. He seemed to have drifted off towards the end of October and I stopped my crusade plus I stopped doing audio business on ebay around that time too unless it was someone local.

The only reason I caught it today is because one of our members sent me the ebay link in PM and I saw the ad and his MO and wrote him. He never replied cause he knows my ebay screen name. Look at his Q/A someone asks him about the cost because he (the seller is in England). I reported him to ebay and sent him a few harassing messages and now I am done.

If he is back then it is ebay's headache because they keep letting this thief post on their site.

I did my duty today. I'm not chasing this poor sick dude all over again.
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Item location: dorchester, MA, United States

That's about 10 minutes from me........and I'm sure as hell as not going there until I get my CCW(or whatever you people call it)

Do you think the item is here?

If I am right about this, the guy is in Great Britan.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited April 2007
    Note to self: don't try to stiff HI for money or gear

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Note to self: don't try to stiff HI for money or gear

:)

I'm Sicilian!!! Muuuuuhhhhhuuuuuuuhhhhhhhaaaaaaa:D
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited April 2007
    I'm Sicilian!!! Muuuuuhhhhhuuuuuuuhhhhhhhaaaaaaa:D

You fell for one of the classic blunders! The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia"; but only slightly less well known is this "Never go in against a Scillian when a turntable is on the line!"; HAHAHAHAHAH-
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited April 2007
    I'm Sicilian also. My great grandparents came from Palermo to Ellis Island during Musilini (I think that's the how you spell it) crackdown on the Mafia.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2007
    You fell for one of the classic blunders! The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia"; but only slightly less well known is this "Never go in against a Scillian when a turntable is on the line!"; HAHAHAHAHAH-

Inconceivable!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited April 2007
    A SCAM ON EBAY??!!!?!?!?! INCONTHEIVABLE!!!

Thanks for the heads-up hearingimpaired :)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2007
    Joe, since your in such a good mood today my one eared, Scillian hit man. I would like to thank you for sending me the very nice Sheffield albums to enjoy for a bit. However, just so I can really experience them, you should of sent the table as well, just a subtle hint.

Thanks for the heads up Joe, its really what I love about the place.

RT1
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited April 2007
    I once e-mailed a guy on Craigslist about a plasma TV he was selling for too cheap. If it worked, what did I have to loose! Anywho, he said that it happened to be at a FedEx in DC, but he was in the Carolinas and if I sent him the money, than he would ship it to me pronto. Having dealt with many people on CL, I told him that if he sent me the TV first, then I would main him the money. The only reply I got back was, "What are you trying to scam me?!?" It's strange that he had enough balls as a scammer to accuse me trying to scam him...
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Joe, since your in such a good mood today my one eared, Scillian hit man. I would like to thank you for sending me the very nice Sheffield albums to enjoy for a bit. However, just so I can really experience them, you should of sent the table as well, just a subtle hint.

Thanks for the heads up Joe, its really what I love about the place.

RT1

You are welcome Brother as I just told another member I like sharing things I love. Sure I'll send the table but how about I charge you what the scammer is charging for prospective overseas shipping. . .$350+ shipping LOL
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    zingo wrote: »
    I once e-mailed a guy on Craigslist about a plasma TV he was selling for too cheap. If it worked, what did I have to loose! Anywho, he said that it happened to be at a FedEx in DC, but he was in the Carolinas and if I sent him the money, than he would ship it to me pronto. Having dealt with many people on CL, I told him that if he sent me the TV first, then I would main him the money. The only reply I got back was, "What are you trying to scam me?!?" It's strange that he had enough balls as a scammer to accuse me trying to scam him...

Yea they get real sensitive when you nail them. I'm completely blown away that eBay hasn't removed this scammers posting in that he has admitted to being in England and his auction says, "Dorchester Mass." WTF. If you read his Q/A you will see that one of the questions is something to the effect of, "since you are in England how much will you now be charging for shipping?"

My questions to him were never posted. Neither were my harrassing messages but I guess we know why that is.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited April 2007
    Holy crap- I had the same thing happen with this guy on a Lexicon. As soon as he pulled the "wife split, send money to england" I knew it was a scam & started yanking his chain... It ended when I asked for a phone number (just to see his reaction) and he said he was deaf...
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    I just checked again and the auction went to completion. I can't believe ebay is letting this one go. Maybe I'm wrong here. . . I don't know it is way too De Ja Vu!!!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2007
    contact "rockpassion" asap before he loses all that cash!!
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited April 2007
    I don't think it's the same guy. He does say he prefers local pickup. And he quotes shipping cost TO England, not from England.
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    contact "rockpassion" asap before he loses all that cash!!

I tried Thuggy, eBay blocks any messages if one is not involved as the bidder or seller. I went through this before when I was shadowing this guy. I found that he or the person whom he is impersonating has other products up for sale and I'm beginning to wonder what the heck is going on here. Those pics of the turntable are definite retouches of my table. The blatant touch up is the top of the record clamp, you can see where he blacked out the VPI logo to make it look like VPI's new clamp.