First project on the house...

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Well, I'm not even closed on the house yet, and the bank wanted both porch roofs replaced. Told the seller I'd take care of it myself if they kicked some money back. So, I spent the day yesterday working on the house for the first time :D. This is the first project I've taken on myself, and def. the first roofing project. Luckily, the decking on the front roof was fine and I didn't have to replace it.

100_3107l.jpg
Before

100_3108l.jpg
Down to the roof deck.

100_3109l.jpg
After

Looks a lot nicer! I also had to do the back porch roof, but I just threw some rolled roofing across that because I'm planning on ripping that whole structure off and rebuilding it, possible yet this summer. It's rotted pretty bad.
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited April 2007
    Nadams,

Get some black wall flashing and put it under the siding if you can.

What kind of siding is that? It is much easier to do with vinyl siding than aluminum/wood etc.. Looks great for your first house DIY.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2007
    Looks good. I see you bought the house you were looking at a while ago.
    Congrats
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2007
    Nice work Noah! The other good thing was it wasn't too high off the ground.

When are you moving in?
    Carl

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2007
    BTW, did you put a 2007 penny underneath the shingles? Old timers (roofers)will tell you that's the tradition. They often look and find a penny when they put on a new roof that was left the last time a roof was put on. It tells you how well their work and the product held up over time.

Carl
    Carl

• nadams
    edited April 2007
    Carl-

Hoping to move in by the end of the month. And no, I'd never heard of the penny thing before. I also didn't find an old penny, if there was one. But, you know... I was ripping and tearing pretty good, because at that point in the morning it was actually sleeting something fierce
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2007
    Congrats

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
    edited April 2007
    I hate doing roofing. At least you picked the right time of the year to do it though. It's usually 100 degrees outside when I have to do it.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • nadams
    edited April 2007
    Grimster74 wrote:
    I hate doing roofing. At least you picked the right time of the year to do it though. It's usually 100 degrees outside when I have to do it.

It wasn't too bad... it was sleeting when I started ripping the roofing off, but turned out to be a nice, mild, partly sunny day in the end. Just enough sun to stick the shingles together.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited April 2007