Alpine amp good enough?

DemonAstroth
DemonAstroth Posts: 131
edited April 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello...

Currently, powering my speakers I have a Hifonics amplifier. I forgot the model number, but the supposed rating on it is 110w RMS x 4 @ 4ohm.

It is a decent amp, however not the greatest quality. When it gets too hot, it starts making noises, and the connectors are kind of loose.

I can get an excellent deal on an MRV F345 (older alpine model). It is 75w RMS x4 @ 4 ohm.

Will that still be enough to power a pair of MMC5250's (front) and a pair of DB6500's (rear)?

I think it should be fine but I just want to make sure. I certainly doubt the specs on the Hifonics amp are accurate anyway.

I appreciate your comments though.

Demon
Post edited by DemonAstroth on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    Those amps will probably be similar in the power output, but Alpine will easily edge out most of the new HiFonics in terms of quality.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2007
    I would have no issue running that amp. I've owned several Alpine amps over the years and never had any issues with them.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited April 2007
    Let me tell you something about alpine. (Alpine Best)
  • 1996blackmax
    edited April 2007
    I would not go that far, but would say that they make solid products. The only thing that Alpine has been slacking on lately are the processing duties in their HU's.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • cam5860
    edited April 2007
    I will tell you why I think alpine is the best electronics mfg. Because they are innovative they are not copycats like most companys. It's true some company's can take someone else's idea and make it better.

But it takes brillant people in a company to continue to innovate year after year like companys like apple and alpine do. Yeah alpine has not been adding all the features to there headunits like they used too.

But it's not like there not capable of making the best highend unit out there. They do it because there is not enough demand for them anyone. They build what is making them the most money, and thats a headunit with great ipod controls. Thats whats hot and whats hot is what sells.
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited April 2007
    Hello...

Currently, powering my speakers I have a Hifonics amplifier. I forgot the model number, but the supposed rating on it is 110w RMS x 4 @ 4ohm.

It is a decent amp, however not the greatest quality. When it gets too hot, it starts making noises, and the connectors are kind of loose.

I can get an excellent deal on an MRV F345 (older alpine model). It is 75w RMS x4 @ 4 ohm.

Will that still be enough to power a pair of MMC5250's (front) and a pair of DB6500's (rear)?

I think it should be fine but I just want to make sure. I certainly doubt the specs on the Hifonics amp are accurate anyway.

I appreciate your comments though.

Demon

As you can tell from my sig, I have this amp in my setup. In a nutshell...I like it- I like it a lot.

Zero noise (turn on/turn off or otherwise), fan controlled, puts out more than rated power (but if you buy one unauthorized you might not know exactly how much). Nice onboard crossovers, separate for front/rear channels. Doesn't require Y-Splitters to bi-amp with one set of RCAs, has a full range RCA output to daisy chain.

I have two from this series, and they've been reliable too. I like it enough that if I had sufficient funds and storage space, I'd stockpile as many examples from this series as I could for future systems (MRV F545, MRD M1005 too) because they're now discontinued. Alas...my 'business agent' says I already have enough car electronics :( .
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    Cant go wrong with Alpine.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited April 2007
    Can go better with Polk C400.4 :)
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • 1996blackmax
    edited April 2007
    cam5860 wrote:
    I will tell you why I think alpine is the best electronics mfg. Because they are innovative they are not copycats like most companys. It's true some company's can take someone else's idea and make it better.

But it takes brillant people in a company to continue to innovate year after year like companys like apple and alpine do. Yeah alpine has not been adding all the features to there headunits like they used too.

But it's not like there not capable of making the best highend unit out there. They do it because there is not enough demand for them anyone. They build what is making them the most money, and thats a headunit with great ipod controls. Thats whats hot and whats hot is what sells.

There are other companies out there that do the same, I would not call them the best though. That is a pretty big statement to make. Just because something makes the most money does not make it the best thing out there. There are many poeple out there buying up HU's with built in processing. Take the Pioneer DEH-P880PRS, those things are flying off the shelves. Very nice HU's, with very flexible processing features. Like I said they build solid products and would have no issues running their amps. In fact I plan on using their amps in my other car. I also plan on trying out the new CDA-9887, it seems that Alpine came back to their senses and put in some processing duties in this HU.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    cam5860 wrote:
    kind of like their ring radiator tweeters? That was pure alpine right there:rolleyes:
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited April 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    kind of like their ring radiator tweeters? That was pure alpine right there:rolleyes:
    -Cody

Polk does (Vifa) ring radiators better than Alpine does (Vifa) ring radiators. Did a comparison after installing/tuning a set of Type Xs...Polk SR wins hands down. The larger tweeters in the Polk set seem to play lower (both brands used with supplied passives) and sound better. Identical head units, similar amps used for comparo ;) .
  • DemonAstroth
    edited April 2007
    Cool... so it seems that I should def go for it. Thanks everyone for your input.

I was a little hesitant as my only other Alpine product (2 10 inch type S subs) wasn't really that great. Or at least not as great as most people praise alpine to be.

Demon
  • cam5860
    edited April 2007
    Demon the type s subs are decent subs for money. But I mean you have to consider it is there bottom line also. They ain't going to shadow no windows by no means. If you want good subs get the type r's.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2007
    you'll have a noticeable drop in available output power... the Alpine is some 30% or so lesser than the Hifonics... as far as quality -- ehh --- I've lost all love for Alpine in the last few years. I've gotten on the Kenwood Excelon bandwagon (for source units at least), and I doubt I'll be leaving the MTX amplifier camp anytime soon.

as far as the C400.4 Polk amp... same deal, you'll see a drop in power, but as far as the quality of the amplifier, I believe it to be a cut above anything you're going to get from Hifonics or Alpine.

although no one ever said who makes the polk amps, for all we know, the can be built by alpine, given the apparent buddy-buddy relationship the companies have. (at least it looks that way).
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • DemonAstroth
    edited April 2007
    The type S subs were decent for the money, yes; but they do not come close to the Infinity perfects that I have now. The difference is night and day. When I got the Infinity's I was also looking at Polk Momo's and Alpine Type R's, but the deal for the Infinity's was too good to let it pass. Overall I"m very happy though. Anyway, I thought that the Type E's were the rock bottom though? Maybe they're not even made anymore.

Anyway, I think everyone has been pretty positive when it comes to alpine, I"ll just quietly have to ignore PBD's comments, as they even refer to lately, and that Alpine amp is certainly not a new model.

Thanks again,
    Demon
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2007
    that's apples and oranges.

the type-s is a ~200 w budget sub at 75 bucks, basic as basic gets...

the kappa-perfect is a ~600 w (regardless of what the box says its rated at) premium sub at something like 200 dollars. the latter models have retarded looking pole vent augmentations for a supposed variable Qts parameter. i'm not saying it's desireable, but its certainly not you're basic 'stamped cookie cutter sub'.

overall performance, in my opinion, on the kappa-perfect series has been roughly comparable with the the second version of the original polk momo subs.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • DemonAstroth
    edited April 2007
    Definitely. I think the weight of each subwoofer ( I have 2 10's) is the same as both Alpines. I was a bit skeptical with the Infinity brand, and I trust Polk as I"ve had great experiences with 3 different sets of speakers I"ve had, however money was a factor and I went the less expensive route. I"m not complaining though.

Now....

Since I do think I will get the Alpine amp, what do you think would be the best location to move it to? I'm not too much of an installer, (anyone in Chicago? :) ) but I know that having it between the box and the back seats is not the best idea.

Demon