kaisersose
kaisersose Posts: 92
edited April 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Does anybody have this setup in their car? Does it sound that much better than with the standard 4 speaker and subwoofer combo?
Post edited by kaisersose on

Comments

• kaisersose
    edited April 2007
    What is a good recommendation for a center channel?
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,660
    edited April 2007
    Yes, this is the most common setup. Sub in trunk. It fills the lower sonics that can not be produce well with 6 1/2" drivers. I have done center channel in the past but making a location for it usually is a custom job. Center is not done normally.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • kaisersose
    edited April 2007
    Yeah the center channel was my main question. I will be doing it on my 1995 Chevy Tahoe 2-door. Do you have to cut the dash?
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,660
    edited April 2007
    I had honda civic and was able to make a wood piece that would fit in the tray area of the dash. I really don't like cuting up a dash because I don't think it give that much of a benifit in a automobile to have a center channel.

Just my input,
    engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    I know Pioneer makes a center channel speaker that you can mount to your dash. It doesnt look awful, but I dont think I could do it in my truck...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2007
    surround sound in your car. Do you honestly see yourself sitting there watching a 2 hour movie sitting still to enjoy a movie?
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • kaisersose
    edited April 2007
    I think it would be nice for the passengers. Plus you can listen to DVD audio
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2007
    SACD > DVDaudio and the good news is Sony is coming out with an SACD player for the car. ;)
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2007
    your center should be something like 'half' of a component set... or even a full component set, mounted in the center, wired in parallel.

cadence makes a 5 channel amp that is specifically for 5.1 sound, with 5 distinct pre-amp inputs.

good luck finding a deck though.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2007
    good luck finding a deck though.

You gotta go with one of them in-dash DVD units with the flip out screen. Even then, most of them require a seperate converter box for the 5.1 channel output. Some newer ones don't need a converter box but they are usually very expensive (over $2500 expensive).
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!